MLB Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BigDawg819 View Post
    The teams that are serious about competing acquire talent, either thru trades, draft, or free agency, but also have stability in the organization. The Yankees run had Torre, the Red Sox have Francona, the Phillies with Manual, etc, etc, etc...

The Pirates just fired another manager and likely they'll have a similar season next year and the year after, etc etc etc...

Find your guy, stick with him, get him some damn talent and try. Jeez I hate Pittsburgh but come on Pirate fans have suffered enough
    Francona is the best of the guys. And all those guys had luck getting in at the right time with their teams. The stability can come from the front office and not the manager. Managers just have to not screw the game up. I'd say most are replaceable.

I'm curious to what happens with Trey Hillman. I know Royal fans hated him, but you can't manage piss poor talent to a winning record. Sure you can have a fluke season but not consistently. Most always said he's a great baseball guy to have around.

I know you guys are all crazy about Bucky ball and you might have a new respect for the position of manager, but I think the late season success has more to do with the last guy being gone than who the new guy is.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jughead10 View Post
      Francona is the best of the guys. And all those guys had luck getting in at the right time with their teams. The stability can come from the front office and not the manager. Managers just have to not screw the game up. I'd say most are replaceable.

I'm curious to what happens with Trey Hillman. I know Royal fans hated him, but you can't manage piss poor talent to a winning record. Sure you can have a fluke season but not consistently. Most always said he's a great baseball guy to have around.

I know you guys are all crazy about Bucky ball and you might have a new respect for the position of manager, but I think the late season success has more to do with the last guy being gone than who the new guy is.
      I'm under no illusions about Buck being in charge. Seeing this team over the course of the whole season, the only conclusion I can say is they didn't lose 100 games and this was one of the biggest bi-polar type seasons I've seen in my life.

As for your front office theory, I am skeptical on that being enough. Plenty of teams have had stability in the front office without results. You need both talent and stability in the front office and manager, but as we both know you can have all that erased by a wacky owner.

Magical sig by OSUGiants

SSAEL....... its a new revolution!

Originally posted by Job
      On another note, Nicklas Backstrom is amazingly good.
      Meanwhile, in hockey the other night, the Washington Capitals' Eric Belanger gets hit with a stick, loses EIGHT teeth, has an instant root canal in the locker room, comes back out and PLAYS and never says boo.

So new rule, NBA: Unless you have a root canal at halftime, SHUT UP AND PLAY!

Comment

• Yes, JR wasn't the problem, but he was part of it. The dude was a statue in the dugout. He showed no emotion. Also, he doesn't really know how to manage a game that well. I don't think he's the type of manager that the players will die for playing for. The type of manager that will light a fire in their asses and perform better. He isn't the manager for the future of this club.

The whole front office is a disaster. NH worries too much about the minor league clubs more than the big club, and the Nuttings, well I don't have all day to say how I really feel about them.

HOPEFULLY the Pirates use some money on starting pitching. Use their minor league pitching depth on a proven starter. I read that James Shields could be available, offer them Rudy Owens and something else and get it done. Sign a major league starter. Add another hitter.

I don't expect the club to compete next year, but by 2012, I believe they could contend for at least a Wild Card spot IF everything works out. But this franchise is cursed and I won't be the least bit surprised if we falter again.

As far as managers who I want next year, Eric Wedge, Andy Van Slyke, Ryne Sandberg, and Freddi Gonzalez would be my first four. I don't want a guy who has little success in the minors like Russell did.

Comment

• Gonzalez will definitely be the new Braves manager so you can cross him off. I think you guys would do well with Jerry Manuel.
          #Chop

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

• I forgot where I read this but apparently Yanks third base coach Robbie Thomson is likely to get some serious look for managing jobs.

Comment

• Bobby V is obviously my ideal choice, behind my self that is.

Comment

• I'd love for Bobby V in Pittsburgh too, but that'll never happen.

Comment

• He's ours damn it!!!
                  #Chop

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

• Haven't posted in here in awile.. because its baseball!

Playoffs are exciting though my predictions..

ATL will beat SF which will probably be a long series. Both teams don't have a ton of bat, Chipper healthy would have me more confident but I do not think he is coming back.

Phillies will beat the Reds, though I wouldn't mind seeing Cincy beat them. Phillies are a team with most of the same players from that WS title.. even without Lee and Happ. They have Hamels and the Roy freaks. Along with Howard, J roll, Victorino etc. They have been surging for awile now and are playing good.

Yanks will beat the Twins unfortunately finding out today that Morneau or whatever won't be back at all. Mauer isn't the homerun threat Justin was and the Yanks have the crop of players from last year with guys like Berkman being additional.

Lastly, and I guess I will do the other ones next week.. but the Rays will beat the Rangers. They are a complete team with great pitching, baserunning etc. They go as Longo goes and Soriano was a huge pick up as well.
                    Originally posted by ATLDirtyBirds
                    Coples is that dude.
                    Go Amare. I Love Tayshaun Prince...

Orioles - Raiders - UNC - Nuggets/Wizards

Comment

• Until the Mets focus their energies on building their scouting and farm system in a more aggressive and cost/beneficial way, they will never compete in today's MLB. That means a culture shift throughout the organization and an ability to find the appropriate high ceiling talent. Once you have the talent, you must develop it. The Mets did well with this on some players (Wright, Reyes, Davis), but they need to build a legit pipeline to use as an internal rebuilding tool and as pieces for trade.

Too many other teams are much better than the Mets at building a real talent pipeline. This is a major competitive disadvantage.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

Comment

• Our farm isn't the best in baseball but it's usually about average. We actually do have a lot of homegrown players on our team but we just need to do a better job of surrounding them with other talent. We do great in international free agency but since Fred Wilpon is friends with Selig we hardly ever go overslot for talent in the Rule IV draft.
                        #Chop

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

• Originally posted by thenewfeature06 View Post
                          Haven't posted in here in awile.. because its baseball!

Playoffs are exciting though my predictions..

ATL will beat SF which will probably be a long series. Both teams don't have a ton of bat, Chipper healthy would have me more confident but I do not think he is coming back.

Phillies will beat the Reds, though I wouldn't mind seeing Cincy beat them. Phillies are a team with most of the same players from that WS title.. even without Lee and Happ. They have Hamels and the Roy freaks. Along with Howard, J roll, Victorino etc. They have been surging for awile now and are playing good.

Yanks will beat the Twins unfortunately finding out today that Morneau or whatever won't be back at all. Mauer isn't the homerun threat Justin was and the Yanks have the crop of players from last year with guys like Berkman being additional.

Lastly, and I guess I will do the other ones next week.. but the Rays will beat the Rangers. They are a complete team with great pitching, baserunning etc. They go as Longo goes and Soriano was a huge pick up as well.
                          I don't even know where to start...

Happ was barely a contributor on the 2008 Phillies. He got a ring because he was on the playoff roster, but he really didn't play in the playoffs. He was a bigger part of the NL champ team in 2009. Lee was a Cleveland Indian in 2008.

Chipper is not coming back this year. He will barely have a chance to make it back for spring training.

Morneau's being out sucks, but the Twins have been without him since the All Star Break and have the league's best record in the second half.

The Yanks are down WS MVP Hideki Matsui + Johnny Damon. Adding Austin Kearns and Lance Berkman (1 HR since he came over from Houston) doesn't exactly scream success...

In conclusion... your predictions are noted, but your rationale is not based on reality.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

Comment

• Originally posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
                            Our farm isn't the best in baseball but it's usually about average. We actually do have a lot of homegrown players on our team but we just need to do a better job of surrounding them with other talent. We do great in international free agency but since Fred Wilpon is friends with Selig we hardly ever go overslot for talent in the Rule IV draft.
                            The team has to take advantage of the available options to get the best possible pieces for the team. Otherwise, other big market teams are going to crush the Mets in terms of talent. Playing by arbitrary rules that can't be enforced won't help the Mets compete. They need to get the star talent that's out there by going above slot. There are players who can be bought out of college falling to the 5th round who are big bargains. Other teams are doing this and being rewarded. Why would the Mets not do this?

Comment

• Originally posted by bsaza2358 View Post
                              The Yanks are down WS MVP Hideki Matsui + Johnny Damon. Adding Austin Kearns and Lance Berkman (1 HR since he came over from Houston) doesn't exactly scream success....
                              Berkman sucks. He will only play against righties and likely bat 7th or 8th. Which isn't as much as you would think with all the lefties the teams in the AL will be throwing. Neither him or Kearns were brought in to replace Matsui or Damon. I'd say Granderson and Gardner have replaced them decently enough, with huge upgrades defensively.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jughead10 View Post
                                Berkman sucks. He will only play against righties and likely bat 7th or 8th. Which isn't as much as you would think with all the lefties the teams in the AL will be throwing. Neither him or Kearns were brought in to replace Matsui or Damon. I'd say Granderson and Gardner have replaced them decently enough, with huge upgrades defensively.
                                I think this is the time for the Twins to finally slay the Yankees in postseason play. I'm not confident in my thinking to say that they dogged it to get the Wild Card, but I think they are more comfortable playing the Twins then the Rangers and I really feel that their arrogance in not playing well down the stretch run for the division will cripple them in thinking they can just turn it on come the playoffs.

That and I think it would hilarious to see Carl Pavano be instrumental in the Twins victory in the postseason over the Yankees.

Magical sig by OSUGiants

SSAEL....... its a new revolution!

Originally posted by Job
                                On another note, Nicklas Backstrom is amazingly good.
                                Meanwhile, in hockey the other night, the Washington Capitals' Eric Belanger gets hit with a stick, loses EIGHT teeth, has an instant root canal in the locker room, comes back out and PLAYS and never says boo.

So new rule, NBA: Unless you have a root canal at halftime, SHUT UP AND PLAY!

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information