MLB Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
    I'm not saying just look at errors (there are plenty of useful metrics out there, not to mention watching lots and lots of baseball), but I'm also not going to pretend that just because a guy is fast it's okay if his glove-work is sloppy or he sucks at making throws off his back foot.
    Partly agree here. At some point an extended range actually detracts from a players defense if they can not make the throw to first, or catch the ball. At what point that is? I don't know, though I'd assume no player with extended range is remotely close to that point.

The better question is at what point does the extended range become negligible when evaluating the player's defense.

And no, I don't think Jeter should have won it.

Comment

• I think the Fielding Bible Awards that James, Neyer and others all do research for are a much better tool to see who was actually the best defensively at their respective positions.
      #Chop

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

• At the very least, these range factor calculations are based on actual play and are adjusted based on field dimensions and such. Doesn't matter for infielders, but for outfield, it does. These are statistically significant measures. However, people are going to vote based on the eyeball test. It will probably take a generation before those in power rely on these new measures to place their votes. Right now, the current generation goes with the eyeball test.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

Comment

• These analysts on MLB Network are ******* terrible. No, Torii Hunter isn't as good as he's ever been fielding wise and no Peter Bourjos won't learn anything from him (especially since I think Bourjos is the best centerfielder I've ever seen).

RIP TheManInBlack

Comment

• Cashman flew down to Arkansas this morning to meet with Cliff Lee..
            Originally posted by ATLDirtyBirds
            Coples is that dude.
            Go Amare. I Love Tayshaun Prince...

Orioles - Raiders - UNC - Nuggets/Wizards

Comment

• Originally posted by Brodeur View Post
              (especially since I think Bourjos is the best centerfielder I've ever seen).
              ...What? I don't know who Bourjos is but... seriously?
              Was that intended hyperbole to make a point (that I can't catch via text)
              or have you never watched Ken Griffey Jr play?
              -Boston Red Sox-New England Patriots-Boston Celtics-

Comment

• Originally posted by Nalej View Post
                ...What? I don't know who Bourjos is but... seriously?
                Was that intended hyperbole to make a point (that I can't catch via text)
                or have you never watched Ken Griffey Jr play?
                Ken Griffey Jr. is massively overrated as a centerfielder (Jim Edmonds and Andruw Jones are soooooooo much better), but no I wasn't kidding. Bourjos is a goddamn freak in the outfield.

RIP TheManInBlack

Comment

• Isn't it Bourbon?

Anyway, Griff in his prime at CF was top 3 all time Brodeur.. (Seattle days)
                  Originally posted by ATLDirtyBirds
                  Coples is that dude.
                  Go Amare. I Love Tayshaun Prince...

Orioles - Raiders - UNC - Nuggets/Wizards

Comment

• Originally posted by Brodeur View Post
                    Ken Griffey Jr. is massively overrated as a centerfielder (Jim Edmonds and Andruw Jones are soooooooo much better), but no I wasn't kidding. Bourjos is a goddamn freak in the outfield.
                    Too bad he's incapable of hitting.

Comment

• Well, we'll just have to agree to disagree on Griffey. I did and still think he was a freak in his prime. O and D.
                      I agree with A.Jones and J.Edmonds but I think Griffey and Jones were on another level offensively. (With Griffey >> Jones offensively too)

I'll be looking out for Bourjos then. I love me some CF's.

Side random note: Why wasn't Ichiro ever a CF? I thought he would have made a sick ass CF, and that's saying alot with him having ten gold gloves now.
                      (Earlier in his career. I can see him at RF now since he's closing in on 40 now)

Comment

• Originally posted by thenewfeature06 View Post
                        Isn't it Bourbon?

Wrong CF that can't hit worth a damn.

Comment

• Originally posted by thenewfeature06 View Post
                          Isn't it Bourbon?

No he wasn't. Griffey was insanely overrated because he took piss poor routes to the ball and was able to occasionally make it up with great catches because of his speed, but he wasn't ever close to being as good as prime Andruw Jones was.

Originally posted by mqtirishfan View Post
                          Too bad he's incapable of hitting.
                          He's good enough defensively that he can offset his poor hitting skills. Sort of like Adam Everett for center.

RIP TheManInBlack

Comment

• That Griffey description sounded a lot like Jim Edmonds to me.
                            #Chop

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

• ooooooo OUCH!

Comment

• Originally posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
                                That Griffey description sounded a lot like Jim Edmonds to me.
                                I will punchasize your face.

RIP TheManInBlack

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information