Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MLB Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by djp View Post
    You just totally ignored what Brodeur said, lol? Yes, they were good, but they are aging. Teams do not stay on top forever, and the Howard albatross is about to wreak havoc on that team very soon.

    Perennial 60ish game winner, yet Brodeur used specific examples about why they are on the rise and you just said "they are bad and will always be bad". We said the same thing about the Rays.
    Uh...The Nats look great on paper every year with their young talent. And I said, the Phillies throw money around and make bold moves, meaning...they're always going to have talent. They're not just going to get old and die off. They're an a position to stay atop the division for a long time. The Braves are financially strapped, the Marlins dont spend money, the Mets will have lots to spend next year, but I wouldnt bank on them doing anything of merit with it.

    The Nats bandwagon is not one I would suggest anyone jump on. Contact me when they finally turn all of that talent into even a .500 team.

    Thanks BoneKrusher^

    http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
    KO KNOWS

    Comment


    • Originally posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
      Uh...The Nats look great on paper every year with their young talent. And I said, the Phillies throw money around and make bold moves, meaning...they're always going to have talent. They're not just going to get old and die off. They're an a position to stay atop the division for a long time. The Braves are financially strapped, the Marlins dont spend money, the Mets will have lots to spend next year, but I wouldnt bank on them doing anything of merit with it.

      The Nats bandwagon is not one I would suggest anyone jump on. Contact me when they finally turn all of that talent into even a .500 team.
      They really don't look good on paper every year. I don't know what you are talking about. Hell they don't look good on paper. What Brodeur and what everyone else is saying is that over the span(more specifically the first half) of the 7 year contract Werth just signed the Nats will likely be contenders.

      Comment


      • The Phillies are going to be financially strung out in a few years when everybody is on the decline except for Cole Hamels, and they have a pretty weak farm system with all of their trades of late. I suppose if Dominic Brown turns out to be a star, they could keep things going but ehh....

        The braves should be able to pass the Phillies very very soon, maybe in 2011 considering how absurd their pitching depth is. The Mets are finally being run better, but they're situation is still kind of a mess, and I can't really predict the Marlins because of how ******** their movies this offseason have been...

        And now back to my point about the Nationals. They have a franchise cornerstone (Zimmerman), the best prospect in baseball (Harper) who has ******* ridiculous power and will alone start drawing fans to the stadium, an exceptional pitcher (Strasburg) and now have laid the seeds for free agents to start coming to the city. I think the Werth deal is absolutely insane, but it's something of a message to the rest of the MLB and the fans in DC that they are going to do what it takes to compete. If Strasburg remains healthy and Harper blows through the minors, I see no reason why they can't compete in 2012 or 2013, and Werth should still have something left in the tank at that point.


        RIP TheManInBlack

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Brodeur View Post
          The Phillies are ******* old.
          I agree with this but I think we'll still be on top of the division for the next two years, possibly longer. Gotta believe the Roys and Hamels will be good through the end of their deals, ditto for Polanco. I think Ruiz, Utley, and Victorino all have a good 4 years left in them at least and we'll probably sign Hamels and Halladay to three year extensions again if they continue to play well. We have good outfield prospects so I'm not too worried about the corner spots and we'll have tons of money coming off the books after next year between Ibanez, Rollins, Oswalt, and Lidge coming off the boosk and likely only Rollins being brought back and then all the other big deals start expiring year after year.

          Howard's contract is going to look as bad a Werth's in a couple years and there is no succession plan for 3B but there's always another FA or trade possibility. I think it'll be tough for us to cut back the payroll now that we've tasted success as we can definitely afford it.
          Last edited by Grizzlegom; 12-05-2010, 08:15 PM.

          sig by BoneKrusher

          Comment


          • Nats suck ****. And Ryan Zimmerman will soon lose the title of best 3B in baseball when David Wright takes back his proper place.

            Comment


            • Apparently these Greinke to the Blue Jays talks are somewhat legit. If we can lock up Greinke long term then I would be down.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by ATLDirtyBirds View Post
                Nats suck ****. And Ryan Zimmerman will soon lose the title of best 3B in baseball when David Wright takes back his proper place.
                Zimmerman is better than Wright defensively by miles, and they're about equal offensively, so.............


                RIP TheManInBlack

                Comment


                • Originally posted by ATLDirtyBirds View Post
                  Nats suck ****. And Ryan Zimmerman will soon lose the title of best 3B in baseball when David Wright takes back his proper place.
                  Then Rendon will take Wright's place.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Brodeur View Post
                    Zimmerman is better than Wright defensively by miles, and they're about equal offensively, so.............
                    David's about to go 2007 up in this ****.



                    And Sandy Alderson on the move:

                    Alderson on Werth's deal: "It makes some of our contracts look pretty good."

                    More Alderson on Werth: "I thought they were trying to reduce the deficit in Washington."


                    Awesome.

                    Comment


                    • I like the move for Washington. It's overpaying for sure, but they had to make a splash and show they are serious. They tried to with Tex but he didn't want ot play there.

                      Also about Alderson. He has to realize he isn't the GM of Oakland anymore. He's going to have to spend eventually. The fans won't tolerate him trying to outsmart everyone on economic deals that just keep his team slightly above .500.

                      You have to spend money to make money. If they want more poeple to show up in Washington, they have to show they're serious.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Jughead10 View Post
                        I like the move for Washington. It's overpaying for sure, but they had to make a splash and show they are serious. They tried to with Tex but he didn't want ot play there.

                        Also about Alderson. He has to realize he isn't the GM of Oakland anymore. He's going to have to spend eventually. The fans won't tolerate him trying to outsmart everyone on economic deals that just keep his team slightly above .500.

                        You have to spend money to make money. If they want more poeple to show up in Washington, they have to show they're serious.

                        There's a major difference in spending and spending stupid. It's pretty clear that the Mets aren't the Yankees and have a cap in their spending. We are better off waiting for money to come off the books.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by ATLDirtyBirds View Post
                          There's a major difference in spending and spending stupid. It's pretty clear that the Mets aren't the Yankees and have a cap in their spending. We are better off waiting for money to come off the books.
                          I know they're up against their cap this year. But they have hinted that they don't plan to spend what will come off the payroll after next year. And if they don't, it will be a huge mistake.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Jughead10 View Post
                            I know their up against the cap this year. But they have hinted that they don't plan to spend what will come off the payroll after next year. And if they don't, it will be a huge mistake.

                            Well that's a very long time away. I'm more interested to see how active we are going to be in the trade market this winter/this year.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Brodeur View Post
                              The Phillies are going to be financially strung out in a few years when everybody is on the decline except for Cole Hamels, and they have a pretty weak farm system with all of their trades of late. I suppose if Dominic Brown turns out to be a star, they could keep things going but ehh....

                              The braves should be able to pass the Phillies very very soon, maybe in 2011 considering how absurd their pitching depth is. The Mets are finally being run better, but they're situation is still kind of a mess, and I can't really predict the Marlins because of how ******** their movies this offseason have been...

                              And now back to my point about the Nationals. They have a franchise cornerstone (Zimmerman), the best prospect in baseball (Harper) who has ******* ridiculous power and will alone start drawing fans to the stadium, an exceptional pitcher (Strasburg) and now have laid the seeds for free agents to start coming to the city. I think the Werth deal is absolutely insane, but it's something of a message to the rest of the MLB and the fans in DC that they are going to do what it takes to compete. If Strasburg remains healthy and Harper blows through the minors, I see no reason why they can't compete in 2012 or 2013, and Werth should still have something left in the tank at that point.
                              Originally posted by Chucky View Post
                              They really don't look good on paper every year. I don't know what you are talking about. Hell they don't look good on paper. What Brodeur and what everyone else is saying is that over the span(more specifically the first half) of the 7 year contract Werth just signed the Nats will likely be contenders.
                              I actually meant to put every other year or so. Nats have had a lot of young talent come and go on that team. They've built "talented" teams before.

                              Werth will never live out that 7 year contract and I doubt they'll ever have a winning season while he's there. They'll surely have some excellent stars in Strasburg, if he's healthy, Zimmerman, and Harper. But that doesnt equate to anything definite. They wont spend like the Phillies or Mets, and while they've had recent draft success...they havent exactly hit on their picks like the Rays did for years. Zimmerman's hit in formidable Nats lineups before, and they still sucked. So adding a Harper to the mix, doesnt mean they'll be winning divisions in a few years. The Nats have a lot of rebuilding to do yet, and in that division, it can be quite the uphill climb. There have been plenty of teams that have appeared to be up and comers and have done nothing. The Nats are promising...but if I'm putting my money on the Phils for the next 7 years or the Nats...I'm putting it on the Phils. The Phils are becoming the Yankees of the NL. They're going to remain competitive, year in and year out. Surely, the Nats will be good eventually...but that team has been an embarassment, regardless of talent, for a long time, so wariness should be completely understandable.

                              Thanks BoneKrusher^

                              http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
                              http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
                              KO KNOWS

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Chucky View Post
                                Apparently these Greinke to the Blue Jays talks are somewhat legit. If we can lock up Greinke long term then I would be down.
                                The Braves are listed as one of these teams that have inquired about him...but we dont have **** to offer. That said, a Royals raping will probably occur, regardless of the trade partner.

                                Also...I hope to hell we dont trade Jurrjens, his name has been brought up a lot recently. ugh.

                                Thanks BoneKrusher^

                                http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
                                http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
                                KO KNOWS

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X

                                Debug Information