MLB Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
    That's what I'm afraid of.... but I'm optimistic of him doing better in Arlington (a hitters park) versus Seattle (a pitchers park).

One thing is for sure... the defense at 3B will be astronomically better. I didn't realize how bad Young was until I read this:

"Young has been a starter at second base, shortstop (where he won a Gold Glove in 2008) and third base but the truth is since he moved to short to accommodate the arrival of the similarly deficient Alfonso Soriano in 2004, Young has regularly ranked among the worst fielders in the major leagues, according to most range-based advanced defensive metrics. In 2010, Young was rated as 5.4 runs below average at third base by Ultimate Zone Rating, and 13 runs below average in John Dewan's plus/minus system. Beltre, by comparison, has been one of the very best defensive third baseman in the major leagues throughout his career and was rated as 11.8 runs above average by UZR and 10 above average by Dewan in 2010. That makes Beltre an upgrade of roughly 20 runs, or two wins, on defense alone."

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz1ABYME1uC
    It's funny how little attention defense gets for how important it actually is.
    "Compadres, it is imperative that we crush the freedom fighters before the start of the rainy season. And remember, a shiny new donkey for whomever brings me the head of Colonel Montoya."

Comment

• Originally posted by djp View Post
      It's funny how little attention defense gets for how important it actually is.
      Half as important as hitting.

Comment

• couldnt have ended up better for the red sox. the sox end up getting a first and second round pick from the rangers as long as soriano doesnt sign from the rangers. sweeeeeet

Thanks to BoneKrusher for this amazing sig!

Go Gators/Pats/Celts/Red Sox!

Comment

• Originally posted by proshoota25 View Post
          couldnt have ended up better for the red sox. the sox end up getting a first and second round pick from the rangers as long as soriano doesnt sign from the rangers. sweeeeeet
          The Rangers went to the World Series. So it could have ended up better for the Red Sox had a worse team signed him. Not like you're looking at high picks in those rounds.

Tell me more about the Soriano situation though. What's the story behind that one?

Comment

• Originally posted by Damix View Post
            Half as important as hitting.
            Texas pitchers need as much help as they can get.

Anyone think Michael Young could see some time at 1B?

Comment

The Rangers went to the World Series. So it could have ended up better for the Red Sox had a worse team signed him. Not like you're looking at high picks in those rounds.

Tell me more about the Soriano situation though. What's the story behind that one?
              Rafael Soriano is a higher ranked Type A free agent...

RIP TheManInBlack

Comment

• Originally posted by Brodeur View Post
                Rafael Soriano is a higher ranked Type A free agent...
                Is Texas being linked to him too?

Comment

Is Texas being linked to him too?
                  No, it was just a thing being thrown out there.

RIP TheManInBlack

Comment

• Congrats to Bert Blyleven for finally making it into the Hall of Fame!

Also congrats to Roberto Alomar.

sig by BK and avy by me
                    Originally posted by A Perfect Score
                    If a girl is sucking me off, and I look down and shes beating off a **** of her own, I am absolutely going to tell her to stop. 100% of the time. Explain that ****.

Comment

• Here are the results.

Roberto Alomar 523 (90.0%)
                      Bert Blyleven 463 (79.7%)
                      Barry Larkin 361 (62.1%)
                      Jack Morris 311 (53.5%)
                      Lee Smith 263 (45.3%)
                      Jeff Bagwell 242 (41.7%)
                      Tim Raines 218 (37.5%)
                      Edgar Martinez 191 (32.9%)
                      Alan Trammell 141 (24.3%)
                      Larry Walker 118 (20.3%)
                      Mark McGwire 115 (19.8%)
                      Fred McGriff 104 (17.9%)
                      Dave Parker 89 (15.3%)
                      Don Mattingly 79 (13.6%)
                      Dale Murphy 73 (12.6%)
                      Rafael Palmeiro 64 (11.0%)
                      Juan Gonzalez 30 (5.2%)
                      #Chop

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

• Alan Trammel was a better player at a rougher position than Roberto, but sure let's continue to hold him down. **** Roberto Alomar is overrated.

RIP TheManInBlack

Comment

it is important because Texas holds the 26th pick. The first 17 first round picks are protected and aren't given away if those crappy teams sign a big time free agent. The Sox end up getting the 26th pick, which is huge, because this is supposed to be one of the best MLB drafts in years where there will be a ton of talent available. Also, the best players dont always get picked first due to signability and price tag, so having two picks there allows the Red Sox (who are known to pay $$$ for prospects) to grab two elite prospects to restock the system after giving them away in the Adrian Gonzalez deal.

Thanks to BoneKrusher for this amazing sig!

Go Gators/Pats/Celts/Red Sox!

Comment

• Originally posted by proshoota25 View Post
                            it is important because Texas holds the 26th pick. The first 17 first round picks are protected and aren't given away if those crappy teams sign a big time free agent. The Sox end up getting the 26th pick, which is huge, because this is supposed to be one of the best MLB drafts in years where there will be a ton of talent available. Also, the best players dont always get picked first due to signability and price tag, so having two picks there allows the Red Sox (who are known to pay $$$ for prospects) to grab two elite prospects to restock the system after giving them away in the Adrian Gonzalez deal.
                            Well, I didn't say there's no value in it. I didn't know the cutoff was 17. So that's interesting. Especially since that's the Angels pick.

Comment

• I thought the cutoff was 15? The first half of teams.
                              #Chop

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

• All I can say about Bert Blyleven making the HOF, and folks, its about time....

`Congrats Bert, if he got 13 more wins, he woulda been in a long time ago, but u finally did. And congrats Alomar too, if he didn't spit in that umpire's face that one time he woulda been in last year.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information