MLB Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
    If you had Soriano locked up guaranteed for more than one year I wouldn't even think it's that big a deal. To sign a setup man for one year though regardless of your budget throughout the rest of the draft is a bad idea IMO.

Think about it, Soriano only opts out if he believes he can get more, i.e. he continues dominance. We can agree on that?

We offer him arbitration if he opts out after year 1. Pick back + another.

I don't believe there is any agreement to not offer arb.

Comment

• Originally posted by Damix View Post
      Think about it, Soriano only opts out if he believes he can get more, i.e. he continues dominance. We can agree on that?

We offer him arbitration if he opts out after year 1. Pick back + another.

I don't believe there is any agreement to not offer arb.
      He could opt out if he gets similar money and the chance to close. We overpaid anyway, not that it matters. If he wants to leave after one year, I don't really care. The money could be better spent in other offeseasons anyway. It makes our team better this year when we could be in a transition period with our starters until we might get one midseason.

Comment

• Originally posted by HinesWardJr View Post
        I wanted the Pirates to sign him. I hope the Pirates sign one of Bonderman, Millwood, Young, or Duchscherer before ST.
        I think the Pirates would do well for themselves to sign the trifecta of Bonderman, Duchscherer and Young. Those guys are all wild cards who will come cheap and if just one of the three pans out you're in a good spot.

Oldie but a goodie.

Comment

• Originally posted by nobodyinparticular View Post
          I think the Pirates would do well for themselves to sign the trifecta of Bonderman, Duchscherer and Young. Those guys are all wild cards who will come cheap and if just one of the three pans out you're in a good spot.
          I'd rather sign just one. Correia, McDonald, Maholm, and Dorf are a not bad foursome. I do not have confidence in Scott Olsen, Brad Lincoln, or Charlie Morton. That's why I wouldn't mind bringing in Bonderman/Duke/Young to compete with them. Olsen could be a solid LOGGY IMO.

Comment

• Francis' deal with KC is for $2 million base with $2 million ins bonuses based on starts and innings pitched...WOW surprised it was that cheap to get him

Comment

• Mets to sign Willie Harris.

Comment

• Originally posted by HinesWardJr View Post
                Mets to sign Willie Harris.
                It's only a minor league deal but he'll have a shot to be our 4th or 5th OF. Good defense hopefully even though metrics are pretty average on him. No bat but we'll see if he even makes the team.
                #Chop

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

• Originally posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
                  It's only a minor league deal but he'll have a shot to be our 4th or 5th OF. Good defense hopefully even though metrics are pretty average on him. No bat but we'll see if he even makes the team.
                  I'm a Willie Harris fan.

Cards sign Miguel Bautista and Ian Snell to minor league deals.

Comment

• Twins re-sign Thome for a year.

http://minnesotasportstwentyfourseven.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by Vikes99ej View Post
                      Twins re-sign Thome for a year.
                      Don't really know what to think of last year, but I can't complain for $3M.
                      "Compadres, it is imperative that we crush the freedom fighters before the start of the rainy season. And remember, a shiny new donkey for whomever brings me the head of Colonel Montoya."

Comment

• Grant Balfour to Oakland for 2 years, 8.1 mil...

Ian Snell and Miguel Batista sign minor league deals with St. Louis

<+fenikz> "**** the Police, ride my fischstache bitches"

Comment

• Originally posted by fischbowl View Post
                          Grant Balfour to Oakland for 2 years, 8.1 mil...

Ian Snell and Miguel Batista sign minor league deals with St. Louis
                          Pitcher A
                          Age 31 (Opening Day 2011)
                          2009 stats:
                          IP-62.1
                          Ks-59
                          BBs-14
                          ERA-1.73
                          K/9-8.23 (career 9.62)
                          BB/9-2.02 (career 2.69)
                          HR/9-0.58 (career 0.89)
                          K/BB-4.07 (career 3.58)

Pitcher B
                          Age 33 (Opening Day 2011)
                          2009 stats:
                          IP-55.1
                          Ks-56
                          BBs-17
                          ERA-2.28
                          K/9-9.11 (career 10.23)
                          BB/9-2.77 (career 4.34)
                          HR/9-0.49 (career 0.79)
                          K/BB-3.29 (career 2.36)

Pitcher A is averaging nearly $11 million per year over 3 years and Pitcher B is averaging just over $4 million per year over 2 years with a team option for a 3rd year.

Is Pitcher A (Rafael Soriano) a better pitcher? By a slim margin, yes. Who got the better value? I would say Pitcher B (Grant Balfour) is a far better value.

Oldie but a goodie.

Comment

• Balfour has also had some really bad years. His 2009 wasn't so great. Soriano has had an excellent track record now for 5 years.

Comment

• I'm officially pissed that Thome is a Twin again for just 3 million.

I wanted him on the Tigers, even with the VMart signing (let him catch all the time if it meant Thome).
                              R.I.P. L.E.F.
                              "I am the one who knocks!"

Comment

• Can't believe it took so long to sign him. 3 mill for that bat is highway robbery.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information