No announcement yet.

MLB Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BABIP can be artificially high if a pitcher's line drive percentage is high, and Morton was just slightly behind Gallardo in terms of line drive percentage amongst starters with at least 70 innings pitched. So he does pretty much suck.

RIP TheManInBlack

Comment

• A hitter has way more control over his BABIP than a pitcher does as well.
      #Chop

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

• Originally posted by Brodeur View Post
        BABIP can be artificially high if a pitcher's line drive percentage is high, and Morton was just slightly behind Gallardo in terms of line drive percentage amongst starters with at least 70 innings pitched. So he does pretty much suck.
        Originally posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
        A hitter has way more control over his BABIP than a pitcher does as well.

Bingo, bango.

Comment

• Originally posted by ATLDirtyBirds View Post
          That's not what BABIP means for a pitcher.
          BABIP for a pitcher is the same as it is for a hitter, but it does not necessarily equate to a pitcher's quality. It can be a luck thing or it can mean the defense sucks. Or, it means that batters make consistent hard contact against the pitcher's offerings. BABIP is not really an indicator that matters, but it can predict a rebound. League average BABIP is about .290. Morton's MLB career BABIP is about .330. So either he sucks or his defense sucks or both.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

Comment

• Originally posted by bsaza2358 View Post
            BABIP for a pitcher is the same as it is for a hitter, but it does not necessarily equate to a pitcher's quality. It can be a luck thing or it can mean the defense sucks. Or, it means that batters make consistent hard contact against the pitcher's offerings. BABIP is not really an indicator that matters, but it can predict a rebound. League average BABIP is about .290. Morton's MLB career BABIP is about .330. So either he sucks or his defense sucks or both.
            It was averaged in 2008, and artificially high because of an absurd line drive rate and unsustainable home run/fly ball ratio last year. It will probably always be slightly high for Morton, but not to such extremes if he can control his line drives.

RIP TheManInBlack

Comment

• Even if he can control his line drives, the K rate doesn't support him being an ace, so we can move on, yes?

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

Comment

• Yeah Charlie Morton will never get that much discussion here again I'll have to say.

As for other news I just got a question answered in Keith Law's chat and funny enough it wasn't baseball related.
                #Chop

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

Even if he can control his line drives, the K rate doesn't support him being an ace, so we can move on, yes?
                  I'm fine with that. I really don't know why we just spent a page talking about Charlie Morton.

You asked a question about Dish? I am ashamed Zak.

RIP TheManInBlack

Comment

• I never said Morton will become an ace.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brodeur View Post
                      I'm fine with that. I really don't know why we just spent a page talking about Charlie Morton.

You asked a question about Dish? I am ashamed Zak.
                      I asked 2 baseball questions and then I had a Top Chef comment. Of course he answers the Top Chef comment. I've had baseball related questions answered by him in the past though. A meme needs to be made for how "excited" you get when you get a question answered in an online chat.
                      #Chop

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

• Originally posted by Hines View Post
                        Charlie Morton is having a damn good spring. He's throwing his sinker and throwing it very, very well. I think he might surprise some folks this year if/when he wins the fifth starter job.
                        Originally posted by Hines View Post
                        I never said Morton will become an ace.
                        Not sure what you mean about surprising people. I will be surprised if he's starting for a MLB team in July. I will be surprised if his W/L is over .500. I will be surprised if he would start more than 5 games for any team not named the Pirates.

Comment

• Anyway, looking like Utley has bone swelling and cartilage issues in his knee (or knees). Clearly he plays the game super hard, but that pounding has now come at a cost. Not sure what kind of procedures are available to help him get back on the field. Is this a microfracture situation?

Comment

• I mean having a good season. Anything is better than last year's season, but I believe he could have an ERA 4-4.5. That's what I meant.

Comment

Anyway, looking like Utley has bone swelling and cartilage issues in his knee (or knees). Clearly he plays the game super hard, but that pounding has now come at a cost. Not sure what kind of procedures are available to help him get back on the field. Is this a microfracture situation?
                              If it is then you can probably kiss Utley goodbye.
                              #Chop

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

• For this season, very possible. After that, you have no idea what he will become. That is quite unsettling. After that, you have to think the Phillies would make a play for Michael Young. He could play either 2B or 3B with Polanco, add RH power, etc...

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information