No announcement yet.

MLB Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm really happy to see Morton finally getting it. Hopefully he sustains his success and doesnt turn out to be just another Ollie Perez. His K/BB walk ratio is still hilarious to look at, but he only has 3 walks in his last 2 starts and he's still somehow managing to be effective with all those walks. This has always been a problem for him throughout his career. We'll see where it goes from here. Dude is an enigma, I'm still surprised that he doesnt rack up more Ks with his power stuff. But anyway, its been fun to keep tabs on him.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
    KO KNOWS

Comment

• Well the switch to the new delivery has certainly helped Morton. His GB rate is high but he is still going to need to strike a few more people out to sustain this.
      #Chop

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

• His GO percentage is tops in the MLB. I believe it's around 78%.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hines View Post
          His GO percentage is tops in the MLB. I believe it's around 78%.
          62% according to FanGraphs.
          #Chop

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

• Originally posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
            62% according to FanGraphs.
            I saw that it was 77.4 going into last night's game. Hmm. Anyways, he gets a lot of ground balls, which makes up for the lack of strikeouts right now. He's only been throwing his sinker and using his delivery for a couple months.

Comment

• Yeah but that also means teams might get used to him 2 or 3 times around the league. If he's going to keep his groundball rate in the low 60's his k's can stay low and he'll be fine. I'm not ready to annoint him before it's even June.
              #Chop

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

• Speak of the devil: Good Fangraphs post on Morton.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index...latoon-splits/
                #Chop

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

• I know this should probably go in the fantasy baseball section but who honestly checks that? Besides, it has to pertain to real baseball and may even provide a topic for discussion. I've been offered a trade:

I would get:
                  Felix Hernandez
                  Ryan Howard

I would give up:
                  Chris Carpenter
                  Prince Fielder
                  Carl Crawford

Obviously, I'm leaning towards declining this. However, I've been thinking more and more about the players as individuals instead of the package. How long before Crawford produces at a somewhat decent rate for the Red Sox? I spent a first rounder on him, and yes it was a terrible pick. Does it all depend on when Francona moves him back up to the top spot in the order? Because that would be bad news with how the Red Sox are playing now. He belongs in the top spot but wit Boston winning, why change it? So, with him batting in the 8 spot right now, his value is significantly decreased. Felix and Howard are just two superstars in unfortunate situations. Felix's team can't win yet alone give him run support and Howard's surrounding cast can't get on base. That leaves me Carpenter and Fielder. Carpenter has been beyond awful, maybe his age is catching up, but in all but two starts he's given up 8 or more hits. His K/BB rate is 42/17 and his ERA is barely below 5 while his WHIP hangs around 1.50. Prince is 27 and in a contract year, which is why I picked him and why I would have a problem giving him up.

/rant

Comment

• Duffy looked a little to amped up/nervous in first ML start which is to be expected.did a good job limiting damage done...and Oh yeah did anyone see the Hos take Feliz deep?thing of beauty

Comment

• Originally posted by T-RICH49 View Post
                      Duffy looked a little to amped up/nervous in first ML start which is to be expected.did a good job limiting damage done...and Oh yeah did anyone see the Hos take Feliz deep?thing of beauty
                      Aside from the 6 walks he did fairly well. I have both Soria and Feliz so watching them both surrender runs yesterday was fun! Hosmer is a great talent, hope he can continue to improve.

Comment

• Pirates are beating the Reds like they did the Cubs last year. I like it.

Comment

• Originally posted by tjsunstein View Post
                          I know this should probably go in the fantasy baseball section but who honestly checks that? Besides, it has to pertain to real baseball and may even provide a topic for discussion. I've been offered a trade:

I would get:
                          Felix Hernandez
                          Ryan Howard

I would give up:
                          Chris Carpenter
                          Prince Fielder
                          Carl Crawford

Obviously, I'm leaning towards declining this. However, I've been thinking more and more about the players as individuals instead of the package. How long before Crawford produces at a somewhat decent rate for the Red Sox? I spent a first rounder on him, and yes it was a terrible pick. Does it all depend on when Francona moves him back up to the top spot in the order? Because that would be bad news with how the Red Sox are playing now. He belongs in the top spot but wit Boston winning, why change it? So, with him batting in the 8 spot right now, his value is significantly decreased. Felix and Howard are just two superstars in unfortunate situations. Felix's team can't win yet alone give him run support and Howard's surrounding cast can't get on base. That leaves me Carpenter and Fielder. Carpenter has been beyond awful, maybe his age is catching up, but in all but two starts he's given up 8 or more hits. His K/BB rate is 42/17 and his ERA is barely below 5 while his WHIP hangs around 1.50. Prince is 27 and in a contract year, which is why I picked him and why I would have a problem giving him up.

/rant
                          It matters who you'd start if you lost Crawford. And the depth of a league. In deeper leagues, trading for a guy like Felix makes more sense because there are usually no pitchers left on waivers/free agency.

I'd lean toward keeping your three guys for three reasons:

1) I think Fielder will outperform Howard and could end up as a top five overall player this season.

2) It is almost impossible for Crawford not to improve

3) Pitching is not as important as hitting. Rape the waiver wire. You can get awesome pitchers there (off the top of my head - Chacin and Hudson last year, Hanson two years ago).

I am biased though because I drafted Fielder over Howard in my big league.

As for Carpenter, now that you're stuck with him I'd either ride it out (maybe bench him against tough matchups) or trade him for .50 cents on the dollar.

As for Crawford, you should never take a guy coming off a career year (inflating his value), changing teams, whose main asset is speed in the 2nd round. POWER POWER POWER and power/speed guys on offense win you championships.
                          "I'm Ko Simpson!"

- Ko Simpson

Comment

• Battle of the Bay today looks like the Giants will get a good taste of Cahill.

Comment

• Following the BoSox/Cubs game via Gamecast while my son watches he's Brainy Baby dvd.

8-2 Sox and Cubs starter already out of the game in the 4th
                              -Boston Red Sox-New England Patriots-Boston Celtics-

Comment

• Neil ******* Walker. That is all.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information