Per PFT: Todd McShay backlash builds

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Per PFT: Todd McShay backlash builds

As if anyone here is surprised by this....

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...cklash-builds/

Todd McShay backlash builds
    Posted by Mike Florio on March 31, 2010 12:56 PM ET
    Many NFL scouts have a sore spot for failed NFL scouts who enter the media and attempt to critique the work of NFL scouts who have not yet failed.

Even more NFL scouts have a sore spot for guys who were never NFL scouts, couldn't be if they wanted to, and then attempt to critique the work of folks who became NFL scouts.

Once upon a time, Mel Kiper was the primary target of NFL scouts; Kiper has been supplanted by his on-air protege/rival at ESPN, Todd McShay. As McShay's profile increases, and as he takes on the likes of quarterback Jimmy Clausen for reasons that many league insiders believe have no merit, McShay becomes a magnet for criticism.

"Most people at my level feel he is a joke," a veteran NFL scout told us via e-mail. "People in the league respect Kiper. He is not a true scout but he does work at it. A lot of his info he gets from connections in the league, and over the years he has made quite a few. When he was younger he used to burn some bridges. He doesn't do that any more."

So what about McShay?

"McShay does not have any good connections," the source opined. "Higher-ups in the league think he is an arrogant asshole. A know-it-all. And he really knows nothing. Whatever he says about a quarterback, take it to the bank, it will be the opposite. Remember, last August he stated that Jevan Snead was better than Colt McCoy and would get drafted in the top five. He has yet to publicly retract that statement.

"One of the reasons the kid came out was because of what McShay said. The family thought McShay knew and everyone else was wrong. . . . He has problems with game management, accuracy and leadership among other things, but pretty boy Todd thought he was great because of one good game...
    Last edited by Shane P. Hallam; 03-31-2010, 12:12 PM.
    Originally posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
    Thanks jerks, I have an exam tomorrow and reading this lowered my IQ by 14 points. Dicks.

Freddie Barnes disagrees!

"i like todd mcshay... i think he keep it real. and i think teams and GM's respect his insight much more than kipers. "

Follow Me on Twitter!
    https://twitter.com/ShanePHallam

Comment

I wish I knew who this scout was saying this, he seems like a cool guy...
      Nanna Bryndís Hilmarsdóttir is a goddess

Rest in Peace, themaninblack

Comment

Originally posted by Shane P. Hallam View Post
        Freddie Barnes disagrees!

"i like todd mcshay... i think he keep it real. and i think teams and GM's respect his insight much more than kipers. "
        That's because Freddie is the ****.

bonekrusher
        The Twitters
        themaninblack

Comment

He is really awful, but I think scouts are mostly pissed because the more wrong he is, the more people realize just how much of a shot in the dark the entire business is.

Comment

I actually like Mcshay. I brought this up in another thread, so I'll just basically repeat what I said. I'm not saying he's perfect, but I find his viewpoints and the info he provides to be mostly interesting. The funny thing is that there was a time when Kiper was widely disliked. Now Kiper is heavily popular and Mcshay is widely disliked, partially because he disagrees with Kiper a lot. Mcshay has disagreed with Kiper on many occasions and has ended up being right on more than one of thier disagreements.

edit: Thread authors avy is sweet. I saw that gif posted the other day and it didn't occur to me what a great avy it would make.

Comment

I'm not a big fan of McShay. His analysis of quarterbacks is just plain awful. The Andre Woodson scenario is perfect. I mean, Woodson had potential, but I think everyone and their mother knew that he wasn't a 1st round pick and McShay didn't back off his claim that Woodson was a 1st round choice until around 2-3 weeks until the draft.

I really don't understand his massive criticism of Clausen. I think ESPN is pushing it way too much which might inflate my argument, but McShay's argument that Clausen is way too egotistical is ********.

BoneKruser with the DOPE sig

Comment

Here is my main issue with McShay. Good scouting is rooted in a good understanding of the game. I don't get the impression that McShay understands the technical side of football very well. So this really limits what he can do as a talent evaluator. Don't know if its true or not just the impression I get. He talks about H/W/S, game stats and uses scouting cliches. But rarely do you hear him reference a specific aspect of a players game based off the film.

Comment

Originally posted by TACKLE View Post
                  Here is my main issue with McShay. Good scouting is rooted in a good understanding of the game. I don't get the impression that McShay understands the technical side of football very well. So this really limits what he can do as a talent evaluator. Don't know if its true or not just the impression I get. He talks about H/W/S, game stats and uses scouting cliches. But rarely do you hear him reference a specific aspect of a players game based off the film.
                  "Scouts Inc" (hate that name so much) is all about triangle numbers than anything else.

Take Anthony Davis for example. Everyone knew that he had some risks of being a possible character issue and was inconsistent on the field, but McShay and Co. had him ranked as high as #4 overall (possibly #3) about a month ago.

Comment

Few things.

1. McShay's top rated QB history is outstanding.
                    2. I thought Jevan Snead would be a top 5 pick too.
                    3. Cullen Harper and Curtis Painter. It happens all the time, and to everybody.
                    4. His analysis sometimes is plain inaccurate. He said aroudn January last year that Mark Sanchez had a weak arm. Um, no. I don't get his hate of Clausen either, as he hits all points of the field, something McShay is usually quite adament about.

He's no worse than any of the other big time scouters in my opinion. And Mayock was plain awful last year, and I'm not a big fan this year either.
                    Crosby vs Ovechkin

Badababaaa, I'm lovin it.

Comment

Originally posted by JFLO View Post
                      I'm not a big fan of McShay. His analysis of quarterbacks is just plain awful. The Andre Woodson scenario is perfect. I mean, Woodson had potential, but I think everyone and their mother knew that he wasn't a 1st round pick and McShay didn't back off his claim that Woodson was a 1st round choice until around 2-3 weeks until the draft.

I really don't understand his massive criticism of Clausen. I think ESPN is pushing it way too much which might inflate my argument, but McShay's argument that Clausen is way too egotistical is ********.
                      Everyone who analyzes the Draft is going to have their fair share of bad predictions and observations. Kiper has had his fair share and so has Scott and everyone else.

As far as Clausen goes, there are supposedly many 'NFL people' who don't like him either. No NFL team should let ESPN or any other media source heavily influence their assessment.

Comment

Originally posted by PrimetimeTheDon View Post
                        Few things.
                        He said around January last year that Mark Sanchez had a weak arm.
                        I'd like to see proof that Mcshay said that, because form what I remember, he had Sanchez as his #1 QB last year.

and Scott liked Snead a lot at one time too.

Comment

Originally posted by Halsey View Post
                          Everyone who analyzes the Draft is going to have their fair share of bad predictions and observations. Kiper has had his fair share and so has Scott and everyone else.

As far as Clausen goes, there are supposedly many 'NFL people' who don't like him either. No NFL team should let ESPN or any other media source heavily influence their assessment.
                          I don't think it's from a hit/miss aspect. I think it's just the fact that scouts don't like him because he doesn't really know what he's talking about, at least in their eyes. McShay obviously knows more than people like us discussing him on these forums or else he wouldn't have a job with ESPN. I think people also forget the fact that McShay played DII ball as a quarterback for Richmond, so he has some technical advantages when it comes to evaluating talent.

Comment

I actually like the friction between the sitting draft authority, Scout Grand Poobah of the Media Kiper & the ingenue McShay when ESPN has them on split screen.

Kiper exudes the confidence of the reigning authority, while up-&-comer McShay has to hem & haw. Like everybody else I ragged on Kiper for yrs. b/c of his obvious arrogance & that hair, OMG..... but seriously folks, he's a self-made draft authority who's made a living with it for decades & has gotten really, really good at it.

McShay is getting better at it, & I can evaluate his growing in the scouting job once I get past his annoying Canadian accent. OK, he missed on Snead, so did a lot of draftniks myself included -- After he led Ole Miss to that big win over Texas Tech 2 Cotton Bowls ago I thought he was Heisman material.
                            Last edited by LizardState; 04-01-2010, 05:21 AM.

Comment

God I hate Todd McShay

SPLOOSH

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information