X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phoebe Prince Suicide

http://www.boston.com/news/local/mas...le_mean_girls/

http://www.boston.com/news/local/bre...g_for_pho.html

A 15-year old freshman who just moved from Ireland to Massachusetts, Phoebe committed suicide after being subjected to harassment from other students at her high school. Apparently, Phoebe's younger sister found her body in the closet that she hung herself in and the mother has since shipped Phoebe's body back to Ireland for burial. Now, nine students are being charged with various crimes related to her death. A tragic event for everyone invloved. Should these "bullys" be punished and what can be done from preventing this in the future?
    Last edited by mellojello; 04-09-2010, 12:47 PM.

Poor 12-year old who found her! As for her... tragic but why the heck would she not first just go to another school?

somewhat related: Am I the only one who sees

when he reads about mean girls?

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
    don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend

Comment

That's awful.

Comment

i think the IRA has some 'work to do' at that high school. i have a personal zero tolerance policy to face-to-face verbal abuse and this goes beyond that tenfold. every person at that dance should be expelled and every person who mocked her death on facebook/at school should suspended for 2 weeks, everyone involved needs to be sent into counseling, and forced to do a thousand hours of community service, and apologize to her family for not doing more to help her.

the school has the authority, hell kids in some schools don't graduate because their parents cheer for them too loudly during graduation, and others get expelled for even dumber things. i'm guessing the 'mean girls' parents and their money is what allows them to get away with this.

i don't have a problem if the district attorney wanted to be extreme and charge a couple ringleaders as adults and let them spend a year in jail followed by a couple years of probation. slamming kids' heads into lockers, bullying, intimidation, harrassment, etc is unacceptable. this isn't a TV show.
        Last edited by Prowler; 04-09-2010, 12:46 PM.
        SCA Prowler is my Xbox Live Gamertag
        Fire Caldwell!!!

Prowler's Newb Guide

Comment

Originally posted by Addict View Post
          Poor 12-year old who found her! As for her... tragic but why the heck would she not first just go to another school?

when he reads about mean girls?
          I was just editing in the part about her sister finding the body...apparently the mother had already complained to the school twice. From what I've read, she comitted suicide just after some kids in a car threw a can of Red Bull while she was walking home. One girl supposedly challenged her to do it too.

Comment

bullying is just a byproduct of a society where self esteem is often derived from degrading other or assuming a comperatively superior position. To 'fix' this problem you need a heck of a lot more than community service. Until then this is just gonna get worse as this behaviour goes largely uncorrected.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC

Comment

Originally posted by mellojello View Post
              I was just editing in the part about her sister finding the body...apparently the mother had already complained to the school twice. From what I've read, she comitted suicide just after some kids in a car threw a can of Red Bull while she was walking home. One girl supposedly challenged her to do it too.
              that's what I read too. But I think the red bull incident was really the straw that broke the camel's back (that's the saying in english, right?).

Also: they're charging these kids with statutory rape? I didn't see it mentioned anywhere that they raped her... Did I misread?

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC

Comment

throwing one of the girls in jail for wrongful death, intimidation, whatever(i need favestoner's legal mind here) should help. throw the youtube fighting girls in jail, throw these girls in a mental institution and then jail. set the example. "cut their heads off and put them on a pike."
                Fire Caldwell!!!

Prowler's Newb Guide

Comment

I live about a half hour from where this occurred and I have some coworkers from South Hadley. I will refrain from my thoughts about this becuase of the amount of morons I have heard talk about this. people blaming the girl that killed herself when it was the kids, the schools and the kids parents that allowed this to go on and on and on.
                  my scent?...like making love to a lumberjack
                  <TACKLE> i will ngata give you a bj raji
                  <+BOE> Scott, with Burfict's character concerns (whether legit or not) you think Pioli would draft him. :D
                  <+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
                  Originally posted by Hermstheman83
                  What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.

Comment

How about we teach kids to stand up for themselves? Obviously, I'm not condoning starting violence, but if a bully is going to be walking around slamming student's heads into lockers then someone needs to stand up and punch the bully in the mouth. When I was in school, there were only a few bullies and many many more that just went about their business. Has that changed?

Comment

I can forgive a lot when it comes to kids being stupid ******* assholes, but I lost all sympathy when I read about how they were on facebook mocking her death...I mean look social pressure creates lots of insane situations, but once the girl is dead and you still haven't gotten a wake up call, you're on your own.

Comment

Originally posted by bored of education View Post
                        I live about a half hour from where this occurred and I have some coworkers from South Hadley.
                        if you had to characterize the area would you call it a normal, higher income, or lower income area?
                        Fire Caldwell!!!

Prowler's Newb Guide

Comment

bullying is just a byproduct of a society where self esteem is often derived from degrading other or assuming a comperatively superior position. To 'fix' this problem you need a heck of a lot more than community service. Until then this is just gonna get worse as this behaviour goes largely uncorrected.
                          Quoted for the ************* truth

Comment

that's what I read too. But I think the red bull incident was really the straw that broke the camel's back (that's the saying in english, right?).

Also: they're charging these kids with statutory rape? I didn't see it mentioned anywhere that they raped her... Did I misread?
                            It's hard to take what you write seriously when all I see is Pedobear in your avatar.

Comment

Originally posted by kalbears13 View Post
                              It's hard to take what you write seriously when all I see is Pedobear in your avatar.
                              thanks, muppet guy.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information