Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ahh well. Maybe it's still worth a shot, only one way to find out. If all else fails I'd like to possibly major in elementary education.

Comment

• Originally posted by A Perfect Score View Post
      As someone who is both an English major and an active creative writer (well...used to be active) who had all the same "gifted" and "publishable" and "fantastic" labels placed on him, my advice is run. Quickly. To a business degree.
      The only real possible course of action to take anymore is the Bill Simmons route (ie start your own website while you work another "real" job and hope to get picked up by a major company). Don't major in English. Do not, do not, do not. If you really have aspirations of being a writer, major in journalism.

Fiction writing is dead. Newspapers are dead. Magazines are dead. Print media in general is dead. Welcome to the digital age.

Comment

As someone who is both an English major and an active creative writer (well...used to be active) who had all the same "gifted" and "publishable" and "fantastic" labels placed on him, my advice is run. Quickly. To a business degree.
        Or you can become a tech writer & get laid off a lot like me. Be prepared to learn a lot of markup language coding & programming though.

Then you can post a lot in the blogosphere like APS & me...... :--j

Major in Journalism? RYFK????? J-schoolers tied to the dinosaur of newspprs. have less of a shot at a job than creative or tech writers.....

better to pimp yourself on the street. Oh wait, isnt that what journalists do now anyway?
        Last edited by LizardState; 01-27-2011, 12:26 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by LizardState View Post
          Or you can become a tech writer & get laid off a lot like me. Be prepared to learn a lot of markup language coding & programming though.

Then you can post a lot in the blogosphere like APS & me...... :--j

Major in Journalism? RYFK????? J-schoolers tied to the dinosaur of newspprs. have less of a shot at a job than creative or tech writers.....

better to pimp yourself on the street. Oh wait, isnt that what journalists do now anyway?
          Like I said, a journalism career doesn't have to be tied strictly to the newspapers because of the internet medium. The internet it the great equalizer and the blogosphere always finds true talent.

Comment

• Originally posted by the dude View Post
            where are you gonna live and what are you into?
            I am hopefully gonna live in an apartment building with Danish undergrads and grad students. My program is through DIS, which is strictly a study abroad program and won't be studying at a Danish university with Danish students. But I am taking the international business program there. I will be in Copenhagen.

And to answer what I am into... I love to play sports (basketball and soccer specifically), drink heavily, blow trees, and hang out. I am sure there will be plenty of all to satisfy me in Denmark.

Bonekrusher.

Originally posted by JordanTaber
            Football...it's rocket surgery now, folks.

Comment

• 10 character
              Last edited by bullg8rdaddy; 08-02-2011, 04:24 AM.

"I don't do Pro Days, we send our scouts to those. I would rather spend my time watching film. The eye in the sky never lies. Functional Strength and athletic ability are the first things we look for in a college prospect." - Mark Dominik, Buccaneers GM

Comment

Piece of advice: Don't pursue a career as a writer.
                Greatest advice ever.

Don't do it, kids. While I love writing about sports and I realize that I'm fortunate to have any kind of writing job at 23, my current job just doesn't cut it when paying the bills and I work at another job just to make ends meet. 65-75 hours every week! Hooray!

Comment

• Originally posted by Sniper View Post
                  Greatest advice ever.

Don't do it, kids. While I love writing about sports and I realize that I'm fortunate to have any kind of writing job at 23, my current job just doesn't cut it when paying the bills and I work at another job just to make ends meet. 65-75 hours every week! Hooray!
                  You're telling me. I write the odd thing or two here for cash, but honestly...If I could go back and do it all again, as much as I love to write, English would be so far down on my list of things to major in. Journalism isn't any better, especially with the nature of journalism programs these days. The majority of them are professional instead of academic, so you're left with a skillset that isn't applicable to the modern world. YFS is right in saying that printed word is dead...it's unfortunate, because it's one of the few things I take a genuine interest in. It's looking more and more like my options are boiling down to teacher's college, law school, or firefighting (legacy profession: hooray nepotism). Not one of those seems overly enticing at the moment.
                  Originally posted by Mr. Goosemahn
                  The APS is strong in this one.
                  Originally posted by killxswitch
                  Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.

Comment

You're telling me. I write the odd thing or two here for cash, but honestly...If I could go back and do it all again, as much as I love to write, English would be so far down on my list of things to major in. Journalism isn't any better, especially with the nature of journalism programs these days. The majority of them are professional instead of academic, so you're left with a skillset that isn't applicable to the modern world. YFS is right in saying that printed word is dead...it's unfortunate, because it's one of the few things I take a genuine interest in. It's looking more and more like my options are boiling down to teacher's college, law school, or firefighting (legacy profession: hooray nepotism). Not one of those seems overly enticing at the moment.
                    I finished my degree in English and History this past year. I've decided my best bet is academia. So I'll be spending another 7 years in school, and end up with a degree that qualifies me to do one, and only one, thing--academia.
                    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
                    Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

• didnt you hike across america or something 447?!

RIP, Sean Taylor.

Comment

• Originally posted by critesy View Post
                        didnt you hike across america or something 447?!
                        Ya, I spent a couple months hitchhiking across the country two summers ago.
                        I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
                        Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

• ahhh i thought so, thats awesome.

RIP, Sean Taylor.

Comment

Well, the printed word is dead, but writing...far from it. In fact, more people are reading now than ever before. Not only that, but the cost of geting your word out is next to nothing.

If you're talented and original enough, you'll eventually get discovered. The internet is the great equalizer of our time.

Comment

• Originally posted by yourfavestoner View Post
                              Well, the printed word is dead, but writing...far from it. In fact, more people are reading now than ever before. Not only that, but the cost of geting your word out is next to nothing.

If you're talented and original enough, you'll eventually get discovered. The internet is the great equalizer of our time.
                              I have huge issues with putting writing on the internet, especially my own personal fiction writing. With intellectual property laws being as nondescript as they are about who owns what parts of the internet, I'm very selective about what parts of my fiction I put out there. Blogging is one thing, twitter and other types of social media are as well, but placing pure fiction out on the internet with no legitimate intellectual property rights is asking for someone to steal your work. And since most of my creative writing exists entirely in the world of fiction, Im very selective as to what I submit and where I submit it. Its easier then ever to get your work hijacked these days, you've got to be careful. Once it's out there, it gets very blurry as to who owns what.
                              Originally posted by Mr. Goosemahn
                              The APS is strong in this one.
                              Originally posted by killxswitch
                              Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.

Comment

I have huge issues with putting writing on the internet, especially my own personal fiction writing. With intellectual property laws being as nondescript as they are about who owns what parts of the internet, I'm very selective about what parts of my fiction I put out there. Blogging is one thing, twitter and other types of social media are as well, but placing pure fiction out on the internet with no legitimate intellectual property rights is asking for someone to steal your work. And since most of my creative writing exists entirely in the world of fiction, Im very selective as to what I submit and where I submit it. Its easier then ever to get your work hijacked these days, you've got to be careful. Once it's out there, it gets very blurry as to who owns what.
                                All this smart, academic, scholarly, perochial writing discussion is getting me all hot and bothered.....

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information