No announcement yet.

PoKEMON THREAD

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Biggest problem with Bulbasaur is the part poison. Creates a ton of unnecessary weaknesses and doesn't really add much to the abilities of the family.
    Originally posted by Mr. Goosemahn
    The APS is strong in this one.
    Originally posted by killxswitch
    Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.

Comment

• Originally posted by A Perfect Score View Post
      Biggest problem with Bulbasaur is the part poison. Creates a ton of unnecessary weaknesses and doesn't really add much to the abilities of the family.
      That, and Grass type is real easy to do without. I just pwned FireRed without it....done it in the past too with ease.

Comment

• Give me best emulator for Pokemon Red. I am running Vista. Rep for one that works for me.

http://minnesotasportstwentyfourseven.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Visual Boy Advance. Get it anywhere. Roms were posted earlier in the thread, around page 8 I believe.
          Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.

Comment

• Okay, what do you do with an SMC file?

http://minnesotasportstwentyfourseven.blogspot.com/

Comment

Biggest problem with Bulbasaur is the part poison. Creates a ton of unnecessary weaknesses and doesn't really add much to the abilities of the family.
              It only adds one weakness, psychic.

Sig by Hitman D.

Comment

• It also gives Ground Pokemon a fighting chance against Venasaur.

Comment

It also gives Ground Pokemon a fighting chance against Venasaur.
                  I'll take that over certain doom like Charizard's weakness of x4 Rock.

Sig by Hitman D.

Comment

• Originally posted by BeerBaron View Post
                    That, and Grass type is real easy to do without. I just pwned FireRed without it....done it in the past too with ease.
                    It's true. Grass pokemon aren't absolutely necessary but I've found they're just as useful as ground/rock and ice types, more useful than normal/poison types, and ultimately they have their own strengths. The amount of status ailments a good grass pokemon can inflict is limitless and when catching pokemon & battling it's a good idea to keep them around. Some of my most dominant Pokemon: Venusaur & Exeggutor are grass types. If you prefer all-out offensives then the fire, water, ground, psychic types are obviously favorable.

APS, it sounds like you need to man up and pull the old switcheroo. If I find myself in an unfavorable matchup I like to go 6 deep with different strengths/weaknesses. I wouldn't think of putting Venusaur (grass) up against a psychic type to begin with, nor would I count on it to dispatch Fire pokemon. The one unfortunate weakness that can be exploited is against ice, where many would be easily put down by Venusaur for being 1/2 water or something. Dewgong is one example of a situation in which it may be tempting to use Venusaur, only to have an Ice Beam, Aurora Beam, or Blizzard take large chunks from your health. So even though it's kind of unfortunate that you get all the weaknesses that go along with the poison type, I've never found it to hurt too much.

Still, Leech Seed, Toxic, Giga Drain, and Solar Beam (or Razor Leaf) is a dominating combination that can lead to a slow, painful fainting for your opponent and added health for your Pokemon. If you wanted to go wild switch the final grass move (Razor Leaf/Solarbeam) with Body Slam to give the Venusaur a bit more flexibility against different types, more PP (vs. Solarbeam), and the ability to inflict paralysis.

edit: Oh hell no APS, if you're coming at my Venusaur with a ground type you better have packed a healthy supply of Max Revive's.
                    Last edited by ThePudge; 08-09-2010, 05:01 PM.

big props to BoneKrusher for the sig & avatar
                    - For daily NFL draft coverage:
                    www.twitter.com/ryanlownes

Comment

• I stated a while back that Blastoise was my favorite and the best of the original 3, and Im sticking to that. He has no secondary type to add weaknesses, and he has stronger stats then both Charizard and Venusaur. For my money, there are several Grass Pokemon who I prefer over Venusaur, if I even carry one at all like BeerBaron said. They usually dont make their way into my party, but if they do, I find Tangela's high special to be very solid.

EDIT: And while Im generally a fan of offensive Pokemon, I do appreciate a good status ailment as much as the next guy. Gengar, being my favorite and most used Pokemon, is a perfect example of that. Hypnosis/Dream Eater might be the most devastating combo in the entire first generation. But I am a big fan of Strikers moreso then Tanks...What can I say, either win fast or lose fast.
                      Last edited by A Perfect Score; 08-09-2010, 05:09 PM.

Comment

I stated a while back that Blastoise was my favorite and the best of the original 3, and Im sticking to that. He has no secondary type to add weaknesses, and he has stronger stats then both Charizard and Venusaur. For my money, there are several Grass Pokemon who I prefer over Venusaur, if I even carry one at all like BeerBaron said. They usually dont make their way into my party, but if they do, I find Tangela's high special to be very solid.
                        Yeah I agree with that, Blastoise is superior. I always used an Electric pokemon in the past, but I don't use them much anymore just to mix things up. Electric pokemon are usually smarter to have, a lot less weaknesses. That's why I always have a rock pokemon in my lineup when using grass. It covers 4/5 of Grass's weakness. It only doesn't cover Poison.

Sig by Hitman D.

Comment

• Exeggutor > Venusaur for grass types every day of the week. Exeggutor is the bomb.

Comment

• so I did that whole abra for mr. mime deal and well got Mr. Mime at level 11. after maybe 10-15 minutes of playing, he's level 24
                            We ALL bleed scarlet
                            New York Giants Super Bowl 46 Champs
                            UNITED: I actually attend the college I root for
                            Originally posted by PalmerToCJ
                            BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.

Comment

• Originally posted by scottyboy View Post
                              so I did that whole abra for mr. mime deal and well got Mr. Mime at level 11. after maybe 10-15 minutes of playing, he's level 24
                              That's what confusion will do for you. Especially when you go against poison types.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gribble View Post
                                Exeggutor > Venusaur for grass types every day of the week. Exeggutor is the bomb.
                                It all depends on what you're looking for.

Personally I'd agree that Blastoise + Exeggutor >Venusaur + Gyrados. You've got to love Exeggutor's ability to use Psychic and cause big damage even while at a type disadvantage. Still, if you're partial to your starting Pokemon (like I am) Venusaur holds a special place in your heart.

While developing your team, no starter grows faster & no starter brings the type of status ailment moves that Bulbasaur does. This promotes catching more Pokemon and allows you to raise your team more evenly. At level 32 when Ivysaur evolves you're left with a powerhouse in Venusaur. Leech Seed is what has me going back to that family all the time...

1st turn - Leech Seed
                                2nd turn - Toxic
                                3rd turn - Giga Drain

.. Watch his health go down and no matter what he's doing over there you can expect that you'll have more health at the end of the day. It's like choking someone rather than shooting them.

In a one on one fight though you can rest assured any good Exeggutor would take down even the best Venusaur.

big props to BoneKrusher for the sig & avatar
                                - For daily NFL draft coverage:
                                www.twitter.com/ryanlownes

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information