PoKEMON THREAD

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BeerBaron View Post
    In Yellow....hmm. Since you'll have electric/fire/water/grass covered (if that's how you want to go) I'd suggest adding an Abra to the mix. You can one in the grass to the left of of Nugget Bridge in Cerulean. It only takes maybe 4 levels to get it to a Kadabra, and only a few more after that to get Psybeam. Turns him into a ballistic missile in terms of offensive ability, and you can get him to that point before the 3rd gym.

You may want to catch a Caterpie in Viridian Forest and raise it to a Butterfree first. Sleep/Poison/Stun powder really helps to catch Abra (and anything else really) and if you are having trouble with Misty, you can paralyze/poison her Starmie for a nice advantage.
    Cool, sounds like a plan. I actually may just play red or blue. I don't know how I feel about getting charmander, squirtle, bulbasaur, and pikachu.

If I go red or blue, which game should I play and what strategy would you suggest?
    When I eat, it is the food that is scared.

Comment

• well im working on getting my dragonair to a dragonite now....i have aerodactyl marinating in the daycare since the man turned my abra into a well oiled machine. and as im training this ***** dragonair i have my little kabuto with an EXP share and hes grown like 12 levels in 5 battles....see what i can do with that little ******
      E]

Comment

• Originally posted by The Unseen View Post
        Now here's my question. I need a Water pokemon to round out my staff. I was gonna get someone different than Gyarados since I didn't want to go through the Magikarp ordeal. But guess what? I went to Vermilion with my Super Rod to catch a Staryu, and what did I find instead? A Lvl 16 Gyarados. Soooo should I work with it instead? I love Gyarados, but I did want to be different this time around - the idea of having a Water/Psychic Starmie is juicy, but...it's ******* Gyarados.
        LAPRAZzzzZzzz!!!

Starmie is a pimp. Vaporeon is a good hazer which can wall. Cloyster is a physical wall that can support with moves like Spikes, Rapid Spin, and Explosion. Kingdra has great stats all around (need a trade partner though). Kabutops/Omastar are good options as well.

Also, since you chose Charmander as your starter, Suicune will be raoming around Kanto after you beat the Elite 4. He's absolutely worthy of your water spot.

Originally posted by Rob S View Post
        Alright, I'm gonna start my yellow game. Here is one issue I'm thinking that may occur: I more or less forget the evolution schemes. Are there any pokemon that I have to catch in their uneveolved form as to not miss out on a beast later? If so, where can I find them. I hate nothing more than having to backtrack a ton.
        Um, don't forget to pickup the Eevee in Celadon City (I believe that's where it is). In Yellow, you'll get Pikachu, Charmander, Squirtle, and Bulbasaur, so you'll be sittin' pretty.

Um, like BB said, Abra in the route above Cerulean is the earliest you can get Abra (may be the only place, but you can catch Kadabra later). Kadabra is surprisingly powerful (120 Special Attack and 105 Speed) so being unable to evolve him to Alakazam doesn't mean you shouldn't train one, and matches up well against the middle Gym Leaders Erica (Grass w/ secondary Poison typing) and Koga (Poison). Ghastly in the tower in Lavender Town, but Haunter is a strong alternative to Kadabra (115 Special Attack and 95 Speed, but has higher HP, Attack, and Defense [I don't believe there is Special Defense in the R/B/Y Gen]) and matches up well against Sabrina (Psychic). The Nidoran family first stages can be found very early too, but Nidorino/Nidorina can be found in the Safari Zone, I believe.

Be sure to catch the Snorlax. Slowbro is in the "Overused" category in this gen, so a Slowpoke could be an option. Exeggutor is awesome in this gen, so Exeggcute. When you get to the Safari Zone, Tauros, Chansey, Rhyhorn (to become Rhydon), and Dratini (need to fish for it, I think).

Oh! When you're going through one of the tunnels, you'll fight the ruin maniac. Once you beat him, he'll offer to share one of his two fossils that he has found. The "Dome Fossil" is Kabuto/Kabutops, and the "Helix Fossil" is Omanyte/Omastar. Kabutops is my favorite, but it depends on what you think you'll need more - Kabutops is a physical attacker and Omastar is a special attacker. Both have great defenses (Omastar's is better), meh speed (Kabutops is faster), and meh health (Omastar's is better).

The fossil thing bit me in the behind when I was little and started playing Red version. I wanted Kabutops, but I picked the Helix fossil because "helix" sounded cooler than "dome." That's the last time I ever made a decision based on phonics...
        Last edited by TitanHope; 08-10-2010, 03:25 PM.
        Still Team The Ke$ha!!!

[@TDWinstead]
        Originally posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
        Damn Ke$ha is sexy.

Comment

• You know what? I'm gonna have BOTH Starmie and Gyarados, and store my Primeape. The disadvantages are: 1) addition team weaknesses to Electric. In fact, with Charizard a Fire/Flying, I'll have three members weak to Electric. however, I'm past the electric gym, I'll have a Nidoking who will be immune, and Kadabra is always there to **** their **** up. Grass is a non-issue because of Charizard. this might be a problem for when I get to Lance, because his Dragonites know electric moves, but they are tough as **** anyways. 2) lost benefits of Primeape, which is having a Fighting pokemon. That means my strengths against Normal, Rock, Steel, and Ice are gone. However, my two Water Pokemon will own Rock, and Charizard can fight Steel and Ice (however Magnemites and Magnetons will be admittedly problematic), and Normal are a non-issue.

Advantages are having an additional Psychic pokemon in Starmie (who I will teach Psychic), having a goddamn Gyarados, complete annihilation of the Ground gym and future ground and rock pokemon, and having a goddamn Gyarados.

by BoneKrusher
          <DG> how metal unseen
          <TheUnseen> Drunken Canadian Bastard: There's an APS for that

Comment

• Gyarados sounds like a good idea, but I would stay away from it in the long run. The water/flying is going to **** it over against electric, even with it's above-average defense.

http://minnesotasportstwentyfourseven.blogspot.com/

Comment

• woah, screw what I just said. I'm getting a Lapras instead of a Staryu. I'll probably also keep Gyarados.

by BoneKrusher
              <DG> how metal unseen

Comment

• Staryu with Psychic, Surf, and Ice Beam > everything. So fast, and so powerful.

Comment

• ^ thunderbolt too

Comment

• I don't know if I'm a big fan of having Pokemon with four offensive moves. I like having a move like Toxic too, or something that will paralyze it or put it asleep.

Comment

• Originally posted by Vikes99ej View Post
                      Gyarados sounds like a good idea, but I would stay away from it in the long run. The water/flying is going to **** it over against electric, even with it's above-average defense.
                      How often does the outcome of a battle hinge on how your Gyarados vs. some electric types?

If I'm in a place where I'm expecting electric types, I keep Gyarados out of the first slot. If I run into someone using an expected electric type (like some random trainer) I just switch him out quick.

Comment

• great now you guys are making the decision hard for me

by BoneKrusher
                        <DG> how metal unseen

Comment

• Originally posted by The Unseen View Post
                          great now you guys are making the decision hard for me
                          Just do what you want to do. There really isn't a wrong choice deciding between a Gyarados, Lapras and Starmie.

Comment

• Originally posted by BeerBaron View Post
                            How often does the outcome of a battle hinge on how your Gyarados vs. some electric types?

If I'm in a place where I'm expecting electric types, I keep Gyarados out of the first slot. If I run into someone using an expected electric type (like some random trainer) I just switch him out quick.
                            Well, I'll have Gyarados out against a Lickitung or something like that and it will whoop it's ass with Thunder. The reason I love Starmie is for it's SPC ATK rating, it's ******* off the charts. Even though it is not an ice type at all, it will still own with Ice Beam.

BTW, moves with 5 PP ******* suck. Ice Beam, Flamethrower, and Thunderbolt for the win.

Comment

• Originally posted by Vikes99ej View Post
                              Well, I'll have Gyarados out against a Lickitung or something like that and it will whoop it's ass with Thunder. The reason I love Starmie is for it's SPC ATK rating, it's ******* off the charts. Even though it is not an ice type at all, it will still own with Ice Beam.

BTW, moves with 5 PP ******* suck. Ice Beam, Flamethrower, and Thunderbolt for the win.
                              I can't recall ever running into a Lickitung with Thunder...

I do agree on the PP part, but sometimes it can't be helped. For example, I needed something to have Blizzard to be Lance and my Blastoise was my only option.

Comment

• i might do lapras and starmie for the simple fact that I've gone Gyarados before, even though it's really hard to turn a Gyarados down

by BoneKrusher
                                <DG> how metal unseen

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information