No announcement yet.

Yes! Another Computer Help Thread!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My professor posted an outline on blackboard and it's for a lecture I missed and I really need to access it. When I try to load the file in word it just shows a bunch of random characters. The file type is just called "file". Does anyone know how I can open it?

Comment

Check with the professor.

Comment

Originally posted by jayceheathman View Post
        buy an Alienware
        overpriced. build your own.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

Originally posted by JeffSamardzijaIRISH View Post
          I'm looking to buy a new desktop and have a 1000$ budget. I want a gaming computer that will last a while. Anyone know what I should get?
          Anything with an i7 and at least an nvidia GTX 275 should last awhile. Hardware requirements haven't been changing very rapidly. I've been running my E8400 processor (Core2) for over three years and run everything at the highest quality with ease.

Comment

My professor posted an outline on blackboard and it's for a lecture I missed and I really need to access it. When I try to load the file in word it just shows a bunch of random characters. The file type is just called "file". Does anyone know how I can open it?
            I know that my lectures have all been in either powerpoint or pdf format. Just change the extension and try .ppt or .pdf for starters, otherwise just open with different programs, try notepad but that will probably give you the same as Word did. I'd certainly start with Powerpoint and Acrobat though as those are by far the most likely. Could also be .html plausibly.

I'm looking to buy a new desktop and have a 1000$ budget. I want a gaming computer that will last a while. Anyone know what I should get?
            Build it yourself, there are plenty of sites that suggest good builds, put the parts together, price save online and then build it. Building a computer is just lego for adults.

Props to BK on the sig!

Comment

Originally posted by Brent View Post
              overpriced. build your own.
              Unless he's looking at a laptop.

If not, then I would always go with building your own computer. You can build a computer better than the best one on the market right now for about that price.

sig by fenikz
              Originally posted by ImBrotherCain
              You are just a terrible person.
              Originally posted by bigbluedefense
              I have an iPhone.

Comment

Minor issue, hoping one of you could help out. I dowloaded Frostwire a while ago to my home computer, and it was on mine and my sister's profile, but now its not on mine and is on hers. I've tried going into my control panel and adding it back, but it won't even give me the option to. I've tried downloading it again, but for some reason it won't let me do that either. The only thing I can think of is uninstalling it and downloading it and re-installing it again. Is there anything else I could do that'd be easier or faster?
                Nanna Bryndís Hilmarsdóttir is a goddess

Rest in Peace, themaninblack

Comment

Every time I turn on my laptop, it goes to a black screen that says:
                  "Disc Read Error. Press Alt-Ctrl-Delete to restart"
                  I restart, and the black screen comes back on.

... Help
                  -Boston Red Sox-New England Patriots-Boston Celtics-

Comment

It's not recognizing your hdd. Tough to say what the actual problem is.

Comment

Damn. The wife says that the laptop started freezing a lot.
                      She then restarted it, but then as soon as Windows started up, it froze (essentially)
                      No icons would come up and the screen stayed that Windows background blue.
                      Then she was stuck on that screen, couldn't do anything then she removed the battery.
                      She re-attached the battery about a half hour later and then that's when the black screen "disc read error" came up

Not sure if that narrows it down but it's worth a shot

Comment

Take the HDD out and put it back in. Being a girl, she probably ****** it up. Also, when you boot, go to the BIOS and check to see if the HDD has a number assigned to it (it may or may not need one).

Comment

I had that error ages ago, you can google the fix...

I believe one was to check for it in the BIOS as nepg suggested. The other was a bootdisk from memory.

The easiest is just to reinstall windows though as it relates to a file being corrupt/missing or the HDD dieing. You should have a partition for windows if you were smart when first installing which means you only lose programs, otherwise you might have a backup to restore.

Have a peak on google though, it is a pretty common problem and the fixes may have changed since I had it a good 8 years ago now :)

Props to BK on the sig!

Comment

I appreciate the help but I wouldn't know how to begin to do any of the things you just suggested.
                            I bought the laptop with Vista installed, I didn't create a backup anything though (lesson learned)
                            I did google the issue and found several "common problems" and how to fix them but it's like reading another language, honestly.
                            I just swapped out my PS3's hard drive and it's been the highlight of my IT career as simple as the process was.

I'm seriously thinking about just buying another laptop if the warranty is no longer valid since I've had problem after problem with the laptop.

Thanks anyways, fellas.

Comment

Working...
                            X

Debug Information