PC Gaming Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Pat Sims 90 View Post
    Yes TOR is going to cost something to play more then likely it will be between 15-20 Bucks a month. There usually is a yearly plan when it comes to MMO that charge to play there will also prolly be Time cards u can buy.

If u want a Free MMO i suggest getting Diablo 3 when it comes out. Also Guilds Wars is ok if ur into MMOs.
    Diablo isn't a MMO. Guild Wars 2 looks like a very promising non-subscription mmo. I wouldn't get Guild Wars with GW2 just around the corner.

But yeah TOR will be around $15-16 per month. It's pretty much the standard subscription fee.

Sig by Hitman D.

Comment

• Originally posted by nrk View Post
      Diablo isn't a MMO. Guild Wars 2 looks like a very promising non-subscription mmo. I wouldn't get Guild Wars with GW2 just around the corner.

But yeah TOR will be around $15-16 per month. It's pretty much the standard subscription fee.
      I would consider Diablo a MMO even thought there is a single player.

RIP themaninblack

Comment

• Originally posted by Pat Sims 90 View Post
        I would consider Diablo a MMO even thought there is a single player.
        4 People parties like the first really isn't an MMO. An MMO has the entire world populated with other peoples characters.

Comment

• Originally posted by njx9
          exactly. diablo hasn't ever been a 'massively multiplayer' game. unless you want to suggest that, say, gears of duty whatever is an mmo.
          People who don't know the difference between a multiplayer online game and a massively multiplayer online game... I don't know how the two concepts have become so foggy to so many people over the last 10 years.

Comment

• So...EA F*CKED up everything today...

Apparently, they're too good for Steam, so they're pulling all of their games off of the Steam system and are launching their own system called Origin. I don't trust this **** AT ALL. Also, with Origin, your lose the games after 2 years and all of your **** gets deleted.

Steam has done soooo much for PC gaming, and now EA comes in and ***** it all up... I don't know that I'll be playing TOR now. I don't want that **** on my computer because, like I said, I don't trust it...

Comment

• Originally posted by nepg View Post
              So...EA F*CKED up everything today...

Apparently, they're too good for Steam, so they're pulling all of their games off of the Steam system and are launching their own system called Origin. I don't trust this **** AT ALL. Also, with Origin, your lose the games after 2 years and all of your **** gets deleted.

Steam has done soooo much for PC gaming, and now EA comes in and ***** it all up... I don't know that I'll be playing TOR now. I don't want that **** on my computer because, like I said, I don't trust it...
              They're not pulling off all their games, only Crysis 2. They won't be releasing new games branded as Origin exclusives on Steam though.

Where did you read that you lose the games after 2 years? That sounds completely false.

EA originally tried this years ago, but it failed. It's really not a surprise to see them try again with all the success Steam is having.
              Last edited by nrk; 07-26-2011, 07:18 PM.

Sig by Hitman D.

Comment

• We do not guarantee that any Content or Entitlement will be available at all times or at any given time or that we will continue to offer particular Content or Entitlements for any particular length of time. We reserve the right to change and update Content and Entitlements without notice to you. If you have not used your Entitlements or Account for twenty four (24) months or more and your Account has associated Entitlements, your Entitlements will expire and your Account may be cancelled for non-use. Once you have redeemed your Entitlements, that content is not returnable, exchangeable, or refundable for other Entitlements or for cash, or other goods or services.

While I agree it's dumb, it most likely won't ever happen. It's there so they have the right. If they just deleted games from their users accounts, they'd never beat Steam and they know that.

Also, you could just buy the dvd. While I hate doing this now with my large collection on Steam, it's probably what I'll do for TOR and BF3.
                Last edited by nrk; 07-26-2011, 07:19 PM.

Sig by Hitman D.

Comment

• Originally posted by njx9
                  i don't disagree that it's unlikely; characterizing it as completely false, however, is demonstrably untrue.
                  I asked for a source. I never read that before so it just sounded like a rumor to me. I'm not denying that it exists now with a proper link.
                  Last edited by nrk; 07-26-2011, 07:33 PM.

Sig by Hitman D.

Comment

• So I'm confused. If you don't use the game for 24 months they could (in theory) delete it from your account?
                    (shameless self-promotion)
                    Like video games? Subscribe to my Youtube Channel!
                    https://www.youtube.com/user/Forenci

Comment

• Originally posted by Forenci View Post
                      So I'm confused. If you don't use the game for 24 months they could (in theory) delete it from your account?
                      That's what it says in their terms of service. I have my doubts that they will ever do that, but I wouldn't put it past EA.

Sig by Hitman D.

Comment

• Not sure if this is quite the right thread for this, but I've seen hardware questions here before.

I'm in the market for a large(27 inch is ideal) LED monitor for gaming as well as just general entertainment purposes. Television functionality of some kind would be a major plus, but it's not completely necessarily either. At least one HDMI is the major requirement I'm working with, as well a good MS time for gaming. Lowest size I can realistically go down to is 24/23 and I know that opens things up a little bit as well as makes things slightly cheaper, but I would prefer the larger format as I will be watching movies from across a moderately size room from time to time on it. Resolution greater than 1920x1080 isn't really a big deal for me either. Looking to stay in the 300 type range, but I could go up a bit if there was a truly compelling option, although it would require a little bit of waiting. I could end up just purchasing a TV too, if the options are slightly better, but I would prefer a monitor just for the versatility and price benefits.

Here's what I've come up with so far;

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824116483

This one has all the prerequisites, with the exception of TV functionality, at a pretty good price(even cheaper if I order open box) . The MS is great. I haven't bought anything from Viewsonic in the past though, besides some HUGE CRT Monitor back in the late 90's I vaguely remember having some issues with. It's also not the most aesthetically pleasing of the ones I'm currently looking at. I also haven't been able to find a whole ton of reviews on it because it appears the product is fairly new.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824001476

I've worked with Samsung's before and had generally good experiences with them and this one brings something to the table aesthetically, which is nice. The 2MS response time is in the range of what I'm looking for. No TV built in(acceptable, not ideal) and one HDMI is a bit of a bummer, however.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824001392

Current leader in the pack. I'm already a bit upset I didn't snag one today, Amazon had one at $250 for some reason earlier but they sold it. Good value for dollar and meets everything I want in terms of features. Slower response time than the other two, which isn't quite a deal breaker, but certainly isn't ideal. I'm not all that picky or some kind of video enthusiast though, so not really that big of a deal I suppose.

Edit:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...3&Tpk=FX2490HD

Also an option. 5MS isn't ideal and 24 inches isn't so good either, but everything else is solid and it's a new model at a good price, also a plus.

So yeah, any recommendations? Anyone know anything better?
                        Last edited by ElectricEye; 07-28-2011, 12:08 AM.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

• Originally posted by nepg View Post
                          So...EA F*CKED up everything today...

I can't believe anyone would get this angry over something so small and trivial. Is it stupid? Sure. Is it the end of the world like you're making it out to be? No. You have to log in once in TWO ******* YEARS to keep everything intact. Is it really THAT big of a deal? Of course it isn't.

Steam has a clause in their TOS stating that they can delete your account at any time for any reason, but you still use Steam. Give me a break.

This is a way for them to get rid of old, unused accounts. It isn't going to happen to you and it most likely won't happen to anyone you know. Take off the tin-foil hat.

edit ps:

UPDATE: EA has contacted Platform Nation and has told us that this clause was included for legal protection and they have no intention of deleting users accounts or games. EA representatives also said “rest assured 100% we will never delete paid content”. So it looks like your games and content are safe on Origin.

http://www.platformnation.com/2011/0...er-inactivity/

The sky isn't falling afterall!
                          Last edited by vidae; 07-28-2011, 01:32 AM.

Originally posted by fenikz
                          His soft D really turns me off
                          ** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **

Comment

• I trust Valve, I don't trust EA. It's a huge deal. The only PC games I get from EA are Dragon Age and Mass Effect. I like Steam, but I HATE the idea of having another similar program running on my machine like that. And I don't trust EA's system to not go through my Steam files and find EA games and **** **** up.

It's a serious inconvenience, and I just don't trust EA.

For monitors, I don't touch anything that isn't Samsung.

Comment

• So don't use Origin. It's literally that simple. Don't like something? Don't use it.

And it so isn't a huge deal, you're just making it out to be one.

Originally posted by fenikz
                              His soft D really turns me off
                              ** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **

Comment

• Downloading the Battlefield 3 alpha. It's easy. You have to have or create an EA account and download Origin. Then go to go to bf3alpha.battlefield.com and log in. It will give you a key to redeem on Origin.

Sig by Hitman D.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information