No announcement yet.

PC Gaming Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 8350 is still a pretty strong chip for the price though. It's even beaten out some more recent Intel offerings as games stop being so single thread reliant. Certain applications can take advantage of the additional cores as well.

Since he's planning on gaming, you could easily argue that the money is better spent on on a stronger GPU.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

• How big a difference is DDR3 ram over DDR2, I think I currently have 2 4GB sticks of DDR2 ram

seems they are not compatible actually, i should do some research
      Last edited by fenikz; 09-10-2013, 01:11 AM.

Comment

• Yeah, physically won't fit.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

• overclocking seems pretty simple, what are the pros & cons

Comment

• Pros:
            More performance out of components.

Cons:
            Doing your homework for a couple of hours and testing it to make sure it's stable. Shortening the life of your components, potentially. As long as you don't plan on using the same processor or video card a decade from now, you should be fine with that though.

That's basically it. It's fairly straight forward. You'll need to buy an aftermarket cooling solution to keep up with the extra heat output though. Cooler Master makes a decent little air cooler for $30 that will allow you to get a pretty good overclock without getting too expensive or exotic. If you've never done it before, it does require you to learn a little bit about your motherboard and the platform. Most boards come with pre-defined settings if you want to be super lazy, but you've got to remember that they're going to build those settings around the worst case scenario so it's safe. Learning to do it yourself will yield better clocks at lower voltages.

Overclocking video cards is pretty easy too and something that will yield even better results than processor overclocking when it comes to gaming performance.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

• Bleeeh don't do the Intel vs AMD generalizations. It's silly when people do it with GPUs don't do it with CPUs too. :P

Do it by price point or just STAPH! Although at the top end it's all Intel at the moment but AMD certainly has some of the better values around mid-range.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...lock,3106.html
              Originally posted by D-Unit
              I have no clue what Bortles is all about. Has a funny name though. Sounds like a Pokemon.

Dallas Cowboys GM -Forum Mock

Comment

• The computer EE listed is not shabby for being in the $600 price range.

As for AMD vs Intel... unless you are trying to build the holy grail of gaming computers it isn't going to matter. I have a FX 8150 for almost two years and it hasn't even come close to giving me issues. My ancient AMD 5970 still hasn't failed me and is still a top 8 AMD card 4 years later.

I spent double Fenkiz budget 2 years ago though.

Comment

• Originally posted by njx9
                  if you're planning to play games, you need a video card. discrete **** won't do it. unless, by play games, you meant solitaire. - misread an earlier post.

if you had $800, i'd go with an intel, but at $600, the value is just far, far better with AMD.

and i didn't really like their bundles, and didn't see them as a massive money saver. but again, that came down to my feelings on those motherboards, so i wouldn't say any of the pairings are necessarily bad, just not what i'd do. i'd get at least 16gb in RAM. especially if you're going to put in windows 7 (for the directx 11 stuff). you'll be choking with less.
                  I ran 8GB of RAM for a year on a Windows 7/8 installation fine without any problems. There's never anything wrong with getting more RAM if you can afford to do so, but money is better spent elsewhere if you're just going to be doing games and some graphics work(depending on if that means what I think it does). I've never really seen my RAM usage go over 4GB in a game. That will be going up with new consoles (finally)raising the bar, but 8GB should be fine for now. I'm sure more would come in handy at times, but yeah.

Also, you may want to substitute this board in.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/3...MD_Motherboard

A little bit more modern than the one I suggested initially. A little more expensive too. If it's starting to get a little pricey, there's never anything wrong with waiting until you have a bit more. Computers are one of those things that it pays to wait/spend a bit more on if you can...although you do eventually hit a point of diminishing returns. Not for a good while though.
                  Last edited by ElectricEye; 09-10-2013, 08:44 AM.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

• Does cyber monday tend to have good deals on computer parts or is it generally more tvs/games

Comment

• Anyone used play-SC.com for game keys?

They have a sweet deal on Civ V Gods and Kings expansion for $10, but I want to make sure it's worth it.

Oldie but a goodie.

Comment

• Originally posted by nobodyinparticular View Post
                        Anyone used play-SC.com for game keys?

They have a sweet deal on Civ V Gods and Kings expansion for $10, but I want to make sure it's worth it.
                        I'd avoid it.

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Play_SC

Bunch of scam reports and that they give out already used game codes.
                        Originally posted by D-Unit
                        I have no clue what Bortles is all about. Has a funny name though. Sounds like a Pokemon.

Dallas Cowboys GM -Forum Mock

Comment

• DayZ duhhhhh

Comment

• Do any of you have Fallout: New Vegas and if so, how buggy is it?

I have Fallout 3 on console, but I never got New Vegas and $7 seems like a good price.

Comment

• Originally posted by Crickett View Post
                              Do any of you have Fallout: New Vegas and if so, how buggy is it?

I have Fallout 3 on console, but I never got New Vegas and $7 seems like a good price.
                              Great thing with PC versions of games: mod communities fix bugs the devs can't.

Comment

• Why haven't we played L4D2 together yet????

Oldie but a goodie.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information