Dilemma...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dilemma...

So the past few years, I've been in and out of two schools. I'm sure you can probably guess what this is going to be about.

The reason I've been in and out of different schools isn't because I'm stupid or anything like that (insert Ginger joke here), but because I just really haven't decided what I want to do. I'm currently attending a Tech school in South Dakota for a two year degree in Graphic Communications. Well, I decided already this semester that I don't want to go into that. And I'm going to finish this semester obviously. I like what I'm doing, but I just can't see myself doing it in the future.

I basically have my options figured out.

Option 1:

I switch my major at this Tech School to Computer Programming. I took a CP class in High School and really enjoyed it once I understood it. I would do this immediately next semester. And again, I could also see myself dropping out of this in a year too.

Option 2:

I drop out after 1st semester, and start again in the fall. I would just be finishing up generals at a school in the same town. My hope would be that I would go on to get an education degree. Something that I've always wanted to do.

Option 3:

Suck it up and finish the program I'm in.

To add to this, I talked to my mom tonight about it, and my mom being a mom, was totally un-understanding. She thinks I would be quitting school completely, totally not the case. She really doesn't understand that dropping at semester time isn't like dropping a class in high school. Cause typically classes don't carry over to the next semester.

I guess that I just need some advice. I don't want to leave Sioux Falls right now, cause I have a really good job here and an apartment.

Please, to the people who don't like me, resist your urge to just make fun of me and don't post here. Serious responses only please.

sig by fenikz
    Originally posted by ImBrotherCain
    You are just a terrible person.
    Originally posted by bigbluedefense
    I have an iPhone.

I'm in the same situation, I'm on my second school, got a ton of credits yet still dont know what I want to do with them as I have to start actually make a decision in what I'm going to settle majoring in. For me personally, I'm going to find that one thing that I know I'll love doing no matter what even if it takes me more time because I want to be happy. If you want to go for an education degree, I'd say go for it. Thats actually one of the things ive seriously been thinking about this past year or so, so its kind of weird to see almost similar thoughts put out there. Do what youve wanted and what youll love doing. I took a semester off two years ago and it really helped me get my **** together, so it isnt really a bad thing. Maybe even take it off regardless just to get your thoughts together and use the time to figure out what road you eventually want to go down.

Originally posted by WMD
    Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
    Originally posted by gpngc
    I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.

Comment

attend a 4 year university and get a degree. after that, it's rather relative if your major has any thing to do with what you go into.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

**** bitches and get money, that's what I would do.

But, I personally would go for that education degree.

Bonekrusher.

Originally posted by JordanTaber
        Football...it's rocket surgery now, folks.

Comment

Originally posted by Brent View Post
          attend a 4 year university and get a degree. after that, it's rather relative if your major has any thing to do with what you go into.
          This is only true if you get a liberal arts or communications degree.

Comment

If you've always wanted to get an education degree and are pretty unsure about whether or not you actually would want to work in any of those other fields, I think the education degree is the best way for you to go.

Comment

Don't waste your time getting a programming degree from a tech school. If you want to be a computer janitor the rest of your life making 25-30k, then just move to a state that needs math teachers badly (and therefore has relaxed requirements to become one) and teach algebra. Better pay, similar work environment, minimum job skills required. (edit: 2 year tech degrees don't make 50+K a year. Software engineers do. They don't pay those guys peanuts, unless you get into an ultra niche area where you have to do lots of d*ck sucking to get and keep it - like maintaining COBOL code on old machines)

Whatever you do, don't take a break. Take general education classes. They always apply to all degrees.

---

edit: the only way I would ever suggest skipping a semester is if you have a temp job/internship lined up for that period.

--

Originally posted by aLARGEtopHat View Post
              This is only true if you get a liberal arts or communications degree.
              No, it isn't. I have comp sci friends who do work in fields that are unrelated to their degrees because they refuse to take computer janitor jobs/sh*tty IT jobs.
              Last edited by descendency; 09-28-2010, 02:18 AM.
              **** her in da *****!

Comment

Come to Australia and live with me!

Comment

We have enough gingers Caddy, including the PM!

Mate I would suggest doing what you've always wanted to do, worst case scenario you try it and find out you don't like it and you are back where you are. As someone doing something that I don't really want to do long term I can tell you I regret not going for those jobs I did want to do harder when it would have been far easier to do so!

Props to BK on the sig!

Comment

Originally posted by Caddy View Post
                    Ha, that would be fun. Descendency, I was actually hoping you would respond since you said somewhere you were a computer programming major. Your advice really seemed to help.

I'll probably keep a few classes next semester if I decide I want to pursue an education degree.

sig by fenikz
                    Originally posted by ImBrotherCain
                    You are just a terrible person.
                    Originally posted by bigbluedefense
                    I have an iPhone.

Comment

Originally posted by vikes_28 View Post
                      Ha, that would be fun. Descendency, I was actually hoping you would respond since you said somewhere you were a computer programming major. Your advice really seemed to help.

I'll probably keep a few classes next semester if I decide I want to pursue an education degree.
                      Yeah man, I'd say just go for the Education Degree if that's what you wanna do...

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
                      don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend

Comment

Originally posted by vikes_28 View Post
                        So the past few years, I've been in and out of two schools. I'm sure you can probably guess what this is going to be about.

The reason I've been in and out of different schools isn't because I'm stupid or anything like that (insert Ginger joke here), but because I just really haven't decided what I want to do. I'm currently attending a Tech school in South Dakota for a two year degree in Graphic Communications. Well, I decided already this semester that I don't want to go into that. And I'm going to finish this semester obviously. I like what I'm doing, but I just can't see myself doing it in the future.

I basically have my options figured out.

Option 1:

I switch my major at this Tech School to Computer Programming. I took a CP class in High School and really enjoyed it once I understood it. I would do this immediately next semester. And again, I could also see myself dropping out of this in a year too.

Option 2:

I drop out after 1st semester, and start again in the fall. I would just be finishing up generals at a school in the same town. My hope would be that I would go on to get an education degree. Something that I've always wanted to do.

Option 3:

Suck it up and finish the program I'm in.

To add to this, I talked to my mom tonight about it, and my mom being a mom, was totally un-understanding. She thinks I would be quitting school completely, totally not the case. She really doesn't understand that dropping at semester time isn't like dropping a class in high school. Cause typically classes don't carry over to the next semester.

I guess that I just need some advice. I don't want to leave Sioux Falls right now, cause I have a really good job here and an apartment.

Please, to the people who don't like me, resist your urge to just make fun of me and don't post here. Serious responses only please.
                        I would say that this situation is really up to you. You have to decide what you want. It seems from the options presented here that you are most interested in education. If that is what you want to do with your life, you have to pursue that dream with everything you have. Frankly, if you want to be in education, getting an associates degree is probably a waste of your time and money (or parents money?). I understand your momís trepidation. She sees you not pursuing something you are absolutely passionate about, and you keep changing your mind and switching schools. If you want to be taken seriously by other people, you have to show initiative and passion for what youíre doing.

If youíre not ready to commit passionately to pursuing your dreams, perhaps taking a break from college and school is what you need. The problem is, once you leave, it is really hard to get back into it. My brother took ďa year offĒ after 3 semesters of college, and he didnít go back until age 27. However, he went back on his own terms, and now he is kicking butt. Just saying that working until youíre ready to really pursue something isnít the worst idea. It might not be what your parents and others want for you, but they also donít want you to go through the motions.

To me, it looks like you do have a dilemma, but people on this board are not going to be able to solve it. You need to pick a direction and stick it out. I recommend against the Graphic Communications path because you donít seem passionate about it. Take some time to really think about what you want to do with your life. Perhaps college is not the answer right now. Perhaps staying and living and working in Sioux Falls is what you want to do. Do that to the fullest. Save money. Live life. However, if you think your future is in education, you are doing yourself a disservice by not pursuing it. You have some sort of mental block that is preventing you from making a decision here. Stop dicking around on a message board and take time to yourself to come up with your answer. We will all respect your decision because it is your own. Good luck.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

Comment

Originally posted by Brent View Post
                          I agree with the 4-year school, but disagree that major is irrelevant. In the tech field, it really matters.

I don't like tech schools, they don't seem to do anything for you other than take your money.

Comment

Originally posted by Addict View Post
                            Yeah man, I'd say just go for the Education Degree if that's what you wanna do...
                            I would not want vikes teaching my children...

Comment

i hate to be debbie downer, but right now might not be the best time to go the education route. Maybe if you are looking into math or science, otherwise you are kind of ****** when looking for jobs.

i love being a teacher, but we are in a down turn here in MN & i imagine that many other states are in a similar situation.

If you think that you would truely love it & that you would be good at it, then go for it. Just make sure that you have something that makes you stnad out far from the crowd. That is the only way to get your foot in the door for positions. I know a number of education grads that are now doing something outside of education.

Just my opinion, so take it for what it is worth.
                              Originally posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
                              Thanks jerks, I have an exam tomorrow and reading this lowered my IQ by 14 points. Dicks.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information