Electronics People

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electronics People

I'm gonna go get a new TV this weekend. It'll be my first, nice HDTV so I need some advice. My budget is around $900 total, after taxes and (preferably) a warranty.

First, how important is 60hz vs 120 hz. I understand that it has to do with framerate, but I've read that nothing even broadcasts in 120 hz, so it's kind of a useless feature. Is this true? Will it affect HD gaming and how much? Sports broadcasts? Those are gonna be the main things I use the TV for.

Here's some of the ones I'm looking at. It's gotta be from Best Buy, too, cause I just got a Best Buy credit card.

LG - 47" Class / 1080p / 60Hz / LCD HDTV - Glossy Black

LG - 42" Class / 1080p / 120Hz / LCD HDTV

Toshiba - 46" Class / 1080p / 120Hz / LCD HDTV

Can anybody point me in the right direction?

Doing some more research...

Looks like 120 Hz is good for gaming on the LEDs and LED-LCD's because it helps with motion blur. The difference isn't hugely noticeable, though.

Plasmas are better for gaming because there's no motion blur, but they have mad glare.

That's what I'm reading anyways.
    Last edited by yourfavestoner; 11-06-2010, 02:18 AM.

Comment

I recommend the Sony Bravia series. I got it for a little less than your budget and it's superb. Sony makes fantastic TV's. Make sure you get a warranty on it though in fear of dead pixels (for whatever TV you buy).

Ideally if you will use it for games you want a low MS response time. Less than 4ms is usually fine. High contrast is ideal.

It was my first HDTV too and anything less is dreadful to me now. Playing video games on it is unreal.
      (shameless self-promotion)
      Like video games? Subscribe to my Youtube Channel!
      https://www.youtube.com/user/Forenci

Comment

This one is pretty sweet.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Panasoni...&skuId=9809905

Comment

edit-not best buy, but wait for black friday

Comment

YFS, wait for Black Friday and you should be able to get a higher-end one within your price range.
            The Brian Sabean sig is no more. I disagreed with you on so many levels. And then you went out and built a dynasty. I am lame.

Comment

Can't wait till black Friday. Old TV took a crap, and I'm without one.

Not only that, but I'm not camping out or any of that ****.

Comment

Originally posted by yourfavestoner View Post
                Not only that, but I'm not camping out or any of that ****.
                good news as far as that is concerned everything black friday these days is available is online

Comment

there called nerds

Comment

I'm a fan of Samsung.
                    #Chop

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

I have a 42inch LG and I absolutely love it.

Comment

Plasmas are better for gaming because there's no motion blur, but they have mad glare.
                        True. huge flat screens are overhyped status symbols IMO & not worth their price tags. Some are buggier than a Louisiana windshield too, not worth it.

Speaking of which, avoid Toshiba, very poor quality control in most product lines, their laptops are crap.

You might find something in your price range at an electronics store like Best Buy or Fry's but you might get more bang for your buck at a dept. store like Sears with a 47" Sony or whatever, BB & Fry's have huge markups & sleazy pushy salesppl.

Comment

I wouldn't touch a plasma, but that's just me. As long as you get an LCD with less than 4ms response time you'll be fine for gaming. Some TV's have a "gaming mode" to reduce it even.

Comment

you shouldnt get a plasma

go for the LCD; LED if you can afford it.

I have a Sony that I love. I would suggest a Sony Bravia

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

Originally posted by Brent View Post
                              you shouldnt get a plasma

go for the LCD; LED if you can afford it.

I have a Sony that I love. I would suggest a Sony Bravia
                              See this is why I love you Brent. We both share love for the same TV line!

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information