The Official Android Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ImBrotherCain
    I really just want the god damn Nexus Galaxy... I really wish that Verizon would just give a release date. Enough of this ***** footing around ********.
    Couldn't agree more. I even called verizon and asked if they knew, his tone of voice was "I know something you don't know."

sig by fenikz
    Originally posted by ImBrotherCain
    You are just a terrible person.
    Originally posted by bigbluedefense
    I have an iPhone.

Comment

• I just saw the rumored Acer A710 tablet. 1920x1200 resolution, same basic internals as the Transformer Prime... release date should be early 2012.

If Acer manages to make a non-****** product for once, that'd be totally awesome. I'm very tempted.
      **** her in da *****!

Comment

• I still don't get the point of tablets. They look cool and I'd like to have one, but I don't want to spend money on just a "toy".

I mean...why not just get a laptop? Isn't a small laptop/netbook infinitely better than a tablet? I'm not a tech junky, so I could be wrong, but that's my assumption.

Comment

• Well I have a higher end gaming a Desktop so buying a laptop is almost pointless. For me the Tablet has a lot of perks that work in my favor. Not to mention with the newer Tablets coming out that have a gig of RAM or more and quad core processors thats where technology is headed.

First off In my line of work I need to show my clients different sheets and currently I am carrying around a briefcase with kits and binders. A laptop would work but with the minimal battery life they have now it could be a hassle. Not to mention they are much bigger than a tablet with on average considerably less battery life.

The other thing is that for me it would be to watch Sunday ticket or netflix on when the GF wants to watch something else. So for me it is a faster more glorified phone that I can actually enjoy watching video on or show clients.

The only thing that would be compared to a Tablet at this point is the newer laptops called Ultrabooks. Still a bit bigger than a Tablet and have a little less battery but anywhere from double to triple the price.

Netbooks are terrible don't ever waste money on them... EVER. There are phones that have double the processing power and just as much ram.

Comment

• Would you recommend a tablet to a guy like me?

All I use my computer for is the internet, and microsoft office. I'm not a gamer, when I want to watch movies or tv I just watch it on tv, I use my phone as my mp3 player as I only listen to music in my car and mostly just use Pandora.

I have a work laptop that I do my reports on.

So basically, for me, I don't see any use for them. Unless I'm missing out? What practical applications could I use one for? It seems like for me, it would just be a toy to have.

Since I already have an android phone, I figure a tablet is just my phone with a bigger screen.

Comment

• It more or less is your phone with a bigger screen. It going to be considerably faster but basically the same. You wouldn't have any practical applications with it. You already have a laptop which satisfies all your mobile computing needs.

It would just be a toy, easier to carry around. Less intrusive if you are sitting on the couch or in bed because you don't have to have an attached keyboard.

So I may not say that you need a tablet no but I might say it would be a quality investment if you got something like the Kindle Fire which at $200 is a solid android tablet that can do a lot of things for a cheap price.

Comment

• Yeah, I'm typing on a netbook as we speak, and I bought it for 150 bucks off a guy from craigslist. It runs like a champ, had a friend clean it up and put malware bytes on it, and it does everything I need it to do.

Its light and portable too, I have no issues with it.

My little brother bought a new laptop that's really nice. It's not big like a laptop, but not small like a netbook, it's right in btw. I think that's perfect for me, bc the only knock I have on my netbook is that I can't play cds/dvds on it.

He bought his for 500 bucks, if I can get one on black friday for like 200 bucks, I'll be all over that.

Comment

• Originally posted by njx9
                  that's absolute bull**** and couldn't be further from the truth. i can buy a netbook for $100 that's more powerful than an ipad, for instance, and to suggest that there are phones faster than all of them is completely dishonest.
                  How is that absolute ********... Most netbooks have a single core 1ghz processor with one gig of ram... They basically became obsolete when Tablets came out.

The new Razr, Galaxy Nexus and Galaxy SIIs all have 1.2 ghz processors and a gig of ram with out the bloated Win 7 OS.
                  Last edited by ImBrotherCain; 11-19-2011, 12:21 PM.

Comment

i got my sister's for about $300 two years ago. i think we got her an external usb cd drive for like, $10 at microcenter at some point. sucks to carry around another 'thing', but they're not too heavy/bulky.
                    I should probably just do that then. Save some money.

I practically use my phone as a mini computer these days, everything I need is on there with apps, from banking, to youtube, facebook, twitter, movies, opentable etc.

The netbook is for surfing the net at home and my work laptop is for reports and documents. To be fair, I'm a fred flinstone. I'm still getting used to a world that's going away from paper. I'm so used to doing things the old school way.

Comment

• Originally posted by ImBrotherCain View Post
                      How is that absolute ********... Most netbooks have a single core 1ghz processor with one gig of ram... They basically became obsolete when Tablets came out.

The new Razr, Galaxy Nexus and Galaxy SIIs all have 1.2 ghz processors and a gig of ram with out the bloated Win 7 OS.
                      I bump because I am confused.

Comment

• I might be in the market for a tablet for the reading capabilities. I've heard Tegra3 stuff might come down in price significantly in a few quarters, so that might be something worth looking into for me if I can find one shaped the way I want it.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

• I would like to switch over to a netbook. Would be easier to carry around school over my 15.6" Lenovo. Would look into getting one with HDMI though to hook up to my TV at home.

Tablets really don't float my boat.

"Dying ain't much of a living, boy" -Josey Wales
                          Originally posted by TitanHope
                          R4L does security, and strips on the weekend.
                          He told me the best part is being able to wear the same uniform to both jobs.

Comment

let's take, for example, the first netbook i googled:

http://usa.asus.com/Eee/Eee_PC/Eee_P...specifications

so you were incorrect in your assumption. in fact, nearly anything modern is running with at least a 1.6 ghz processor. i'd further suggest that the lack of a true keyboard or input interface on a tablet or phone is generally a massive disadvantage out of the gate. i think i said later that tablets work *really* well for an extremely small number of people, so i wouldn't presume to suggest that your usage is wrong, just that i find the general suggestion that netbooks are useless about as valid as i find suggestions to 'just buy a mac'.
                            I stand corrected... Most Netbooks before Tablets really took hold had the 1ghz single core processor and a gig of ram.

Now that Netbooks have really fallen out of the limelight in favor of Tablets I really haven't kept up on them. New Netbooks might actually be worth it.

Comment

• iphone 4s ($800) v samsung galaxy s2 ($500) v sony ericsson xperia arc s ($400)

so i'm buying a phone outright and i've narrowed it down to these 3 options. I kind've want an iphone but i'm not sure i can justify spending $300 more than i would be for the galaxy. The Android's look really good to be honest but i don't know if i can cross over after having an iphone 3gs for so long. Was also considering waiting for ICS to come out on the xperia and galaxy before i picked one up so i guess if you guys know of anything brilliant coming out in Q1 of 2012 that'd work too.

Help me out wise people of NFLDC.

Comment

• Throw the iPhone out.

I don't know much about the Xperia one, but I've gotten my hands on a Galaxy S2 and it is a nice, smooth piece of hardware. Consistently tops out most cellphone benchmarks out there too, although the Galaxy Nexus is finishing close as well and has a higher resolution screen(although I hear it's not quite as vibrant as the Galaxy S2). So you might want to consider that one as well. Not sure what you can get on that one in terms of price.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information