UFO/Alien Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UFO/Alien Thread

To start off, I do realize UFO's and aliens are not exactly the same thing. I'm too lazy and depressed to add actual links and photos right now, but I will later. What are your thoughts on the existence of aliens, and the possibilities of UFOs actually being seen here on Earth. The way I see it essentially is, there are billions upon billions of galaxies, let alone the universes which contain billions of planets. Not one other of those places can sustain life?

Please remember, there is a big difference between life, multi-cellular life and INTELLIGENT life. As far as I know, for most of the history of life on our planet, the name of the game was "single celled".

I do think aliens either exist now somewhere in the cosmos or have existed in the past at some point. I do not think they travel at warp speed and I don't think they've ever been here.

Edit: And just for the heck of it, I'm going to provide a link to the wiki article on the drake equation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drake_equation
    Last edited by Crickett; 01-15-2011, 10:40 PM.

Comment

I read a pretty cool theory on abductions. I read a book by a doctor who did extensive studies on Dimethyltryptamine, a banned substance but found in the pineal gland. There are massive quantities of DMT released into the brain when we are born a die, as well as when we dream. He theorizes that people experiencing abductions are just hallucinating after having mass amounts of DMT released in their brain (it happens from time to time, stress can be a trigger among other things). He makes a very compelling argument, drawing on what people experienced on the drug for the most part (one of the most common themes was being transported into a different reality and meeting aliens who attempt to show people how reality exists).

This is not to say I don't believe in aliens. They are out there. Considering how long the universe has been around I have to think creatures somewhere have mastered long distance time travel. Not that it really pertains to aliens but I highly recommend Physics of the Impossible for those interested in theories on space travel and other cool stuff like that. It is very accessible and a fun read.

Comment

There are definitely aliens. Has to be. A quote from Richard Dawkins, or at least a paraphrase, "If we conservatively put the odds of life originating on a planet at one in a billion, and that's an extremely conservative estimate, there would still be life on one billion planets." Recent research developments make it seem like that number is in fact much, much higher than one billion. Is it intelligent life? Not necessarily. But given the one billion planets, is anyone really naive enough to assume that not a single one of those other 999,999,999 planets with life would not become intelligent? And his odds are extremely conservative, on purpose to illustrate a point. If you took a random sample of a billion planets, I highly doubt you'll only find any form of life on one of them. People need to understand just how ******* big the universe is.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
        Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
        Originally posted by njx9
        do i tell you when to flip the burger?

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) View Post
          There are definitely aliens. Has to be. A quote from Richard Dawkins, or at least a paraphrase, "If we conservatively put the odds of life originating on a planet at one in a billion, and that's an extremely conservative estimate, there would still be life on one billion planets." Recent research developments make it seem like that number is in fact much, much higher than one billion. Is it intelligent life? Not necessarily. But given the one billion planets, is anyone really naive enough to assume that not a single one of those other 999,999,999 planets with life would not become intelligent? And his odds are extremely conservative, on purpose to illustrate a point. If you took a random sample of a billion planets, I highly doubt you'll only find any form of life on one of them. People need to understand just how ******* big the universe is.
          Just thinking about it makes me want to boot.
          Credit to BoneKrusher for the Sig
          RIP themaninblack

Comment

I am the only form of intelligent life in the universe.

Comment

Was my post erased? Dunno what happened to it...

Props to clover_jeez!

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Goosemahn View Post
                Was my post erased? Dunno what happened to it...
                The aliens got it. :\

Comment

I watch a ton of History channel and they have this show Ancient Aliens, a few things that I liked about it were that aliens genetically modified animals and humans thus why back in the day there was like madusa, pegasus, etc and the 2nd thing was that some native american culture believed that aliens weren't from another solar system but from another dimension which they could access through different locals on the earth

Comment

Of course there are aliens.

Are they secretly abducting us and returning us? Ummm... probably.. not...??????????????

When being a fanboi goes too far.

Comment

Yeah, as for aliens making contact with us, of that I'm still not sure. The very thing that makes aliens extremely likely, the size of the universe, also decreases the likelihood that they could get here. Not only would they have had to master intergalactic travel, they'd have to get here. Out of all the billions upon billions upon billions of planets in the universe, they'd need to be here, within the last hundred thousand years.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                      Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
                      Originally posted by njx9
                      do i tell you when to flip the burger?

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) View Post
                        Yeah, as for aliens making contact with us, of that I'm still not sure. The very thing that makes aliens extremely likely, the size of the universe, also decreases the likelihood that they could get here. Not only would they have had to master intergalactic travel, they'd have to get here. Out of all the billions upon billions upon billions of planets in the universe, they'd need to be here, within the last hundred thousand years.
                        We're on the same wavelength. Hard not to think that there's some form of intelligence out there...but this ancient astronaut/conspiracy stuff is just pure crackpottery.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

Some other theories that have been mentioned regarding UFOs:

- They aren't visitors from other planets. There have been witnesses that have mentioned seeing UFOs submerge under water and considering how little we know about the Oceans...

- Time-travelers?

Comment

Originally posted by MaxV View Post
                            - They aren't visitors from other planets. There have been witnesses that have mentioned seeing UFOs submerge under water and considering how little we know about the Oceans...

Comment

There you go.

BTW, regarding the likelihood of other Planets sustaining intelligent life, it's certainly possible, but people underestimate just how EXTREMELY DIFFICULT it is for a planet to sustain ANY kind of life.

Earth is a miracle.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information