Facebook Legallity Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Facebook Legallity Question

Is creating a parody facebook of someone like a previous teacher illegal, especially a teacher that you know is well respected and liked.

The reason I ask is because last night I made one of a teacher that I had back in HS. I did it partly because I know so many friends in college have stated that they really miss some of her sayings and I thought it might be a fun way to kind of bring back some of that spunk to people's lives. (Note: I never said anything mean or rude, simply her common sayings about studying.)

Today some people text me and said she was upset, but I didn't think much of it as, well, it's just a parody account. I don't think she even uses facebook. However, one of the other teachers at the school told an alumni that "its a student pretending to be her. I know she contacted the State Police about it."

I've seen so many parody accounts on Twitter that go untouched. I personally think that she hasn't actually contacted the state police and that it was just a scare tactic to bring it down. It worked though, as I brought it down seeing how if she is so upset about the account that she would threaten that.

Again, however, I don't believe that any charges or such can be pressed with all of the parody twitter accounts that exist too and the fact that I never put anything slanderous. I only put stuff that she has said before in class.

Thoughts?

why wouldnt you just make a group? a fake profile can get her in some legal ****.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

Delete it.

Comment

Originally posted by tjsunstein View Post
        Delete it.
        Lol yep. Fast. Facebook can get you into alot more trouble then you think, even if it was in a joking manner. I just wouldn't touch it.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
        I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

Make 8 more

Comment

I would actually send her an e-mail and squash it with and apology. That is, if you truly didn't say anything slanderous.

Comment

a kid did this for the school principle and cause HUGE legal issues, delete it and instead make a group called the "Ms. Soandso Appreciation Group" and reminisce about her there

SPLOOSH

Comment

Regardless of what you post, you don't have the legal right (without her consent) to say you're her. Goes without saying, should you ever say anything negative or demeaning, you can not only be arrested but sued for libel.

Comment

yeah my friend did that of a teacher and there were many, many legal issues he had to deal with lol

Thanks to BoneKrusher for this amazing sig!

Go Gators/Pats/Celts/Red Sox!

Comment

Originally posted by tjsunstein View Post
                    I would actually send her an e-mail and squash it with and apology. That is, if you truly didn't say anything slanderous.
                    I went ahead and did this.

Comment

I made a fake facebook of Steely McBeam. He has not pressed charges.

Follow Me on Twitter!
                      https://twitter.com/ShanePHallam

Comment

One of my friends created a fake Bud Adams account and that mofo still hasn't added me as a friend.
                        Credit to BoneKrusher for the Sig
                        RIP themaninblack

Comment

Originally posted by Shane P. Hallam View Post
                          I made a fake facebook of Steely McBeam. He has not pressed charges.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

I made a fake facebook of Chad Warden so a friend of mine could list him as her boyfriend. I would go on there and troll people so hard. I'm pretty sure one of her friends would have reached through the keyboard to kill me if he had have known. It was pretty epic.

For people who don't know:

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                            Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
                            Originally posted by njx9
                            do i tell you when to flip the burger?

Comment

Of course I know who Chad Warden is. He's on DAT Triple playin Balla ass gaems.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information