Mens Tennis: why its plummeting, why it sucks, w/ a poll

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mens Tennis: why its plummeting, why it sucks, w/ a poll

i used to care, now it just sucks. same two guys every friggin major.
    Federer and Nadal. When was the last time one of these guys didn't make the semifinals and steal every headline and all the airtime on Tv, let alone play eachother practically every final?

this isnt too good for teh sport, there is nobody that personable on the tour, that is why tennis is day by day losing more fans than any sport in the world. any one actually gonna watch this?

I'd like to see the sport get a little more exposure, and fanbase, but i guess that isnt possible when 80 percent of these guys are european gentlemen with combovers (nothing wront with that) it just isnt appealing to the public, esp when its only 2-3 guys that ever get light (federer the consistent one. nadal the clay wizard, and roddick, the one dimensioal serve and volley, rocker tempered local favorite.

id love to see a guy like james blake of hartford win one, but that never happens in the sport. this is why tennis is on the way down.

tennis was always boring imo.

FULL INBOX +REP TO SEND MESSAGE.....

Comment

So they should start rigging it like the NBA?

Comment

I think they need Roddick to step it up...

Follow Me on Twitter!
        https://twitter.com/ShanePHallam

Comment

They dont have T & A?

Comment

sampras and agassi were a two man show if i remember correctly. that didn't stop tennis from being popular then.

the bigger problem is that it's not a sport most people can identify with. tennis is a luxury sport, typically, requiring that you both have significant disposable income and significant disposable time. football takes a few friends and you can go play touch. anyone can throw a baseball around for 20 minutes. you can play basketball by yourself for free nearly anywhere.

Comment

I don't like tennis much unless Sharapova is playing.

Comment

Originally posted by vatech=accdomination
                tennis was always boring imo.

Comment

Originally posted by njx9
                  sampras and agassi were a two man show if i remember correctly. that didn't stop tennis from being popular then.

the bigger problem is that it's not a sport most people can identify with. tennis is a luxury sport, typically, requiring that you both have significant disposable income and significant disposable time. football takes a few friends and you can go play touch. anyone can throw a baseball around for 20 minutes. you can play basketball by yourself for free nearly anywhere.
                  how come so many more ppl play golf then?

Sig thanks to VLS

My BC Iggles. (13-4)

Comment

Originally posted by ***********

One reason is that people of all ages and athletic levels can play golf. Also, it's more of a social sport.

Comment

Hah go to Wal-Mart and get a racket for 15 bucks and go to the nearest local tennis facility. Me and my friends play all the time and we are pretty cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by Moses
                        Originally posted by ***********

One reason is that people of all ages and athletic levels can play golf. Also, it's more of a social sport.
                        but still....see bold above

Sig thanks to VLS

My BC Iggles. (13-4)

Comment

i love playing tennis...i play a couple times a week. watching tennis, on the other end, gets a little boring...i don't mind having it on in the backround, but i'd never be able to watch a whole match.

Comment

It doesnt take a lot of income to play tennis at all. You probaly all live within 15 minutes of at least 3 public tennis courts, buy a racket and a set of balls and get one person and youre set.

The reason it isnt as popular in the US anymore is because none of the US players are any good. Roddick can't even seem to make it to the semifinals in any major and nobody can really beat Federer off of clay anyways.

If youre going to watch tennis you might as well wait for some hot chicks to be on :D

Comment

Originally posted by Nerv
                              It doesnt take a lot of income to play tennis at all. You probaly all live within 15 minutes of at least 3 public tennis courts, buy a racket and a set of balls and get one person and youre set.

The reason it isnt as popular in the US anymore is because none of the US players are any good. Roddick can't even seem to make it to the semifinals in any major and nobody can really beat Federer off of clay anyways.

If youre going to watch tennis you might as well wait for some hot chicks to be on :D
                              BS. to be any good at tennis, you have to devote a fair amount of time to it. it's like figure skating: to be any good, you go through years of lessons and coaches and etc. sure, anyone can play tennis for six bucks. but you'll spend the first 5 years of it hitting the ball into the net, off the court, or being completely unable to even vaguely emulate anything you see on TV.

as to the other argument, golf is nothing like tennis. what do most people do when they go play golf? hack at the ball, drink a lot of beer, lose balls. it costs me about 25$ to go play a round of an exceptionally low impact "sport" wherein i get to drink a lot of beer with some buddies. try drinking a six pack and playing tennis for 6 hours.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information