Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thoughts on joining the military?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Thoughts on joining the military?

    I've been contemplating it for some time now, I was jus wondering if any of you guys were in the military and how you liked it?

    Sig by BK

    “They have one guy, he’s pretty short. But he can go out and play. He can be a little aggravating too.’’ -- Joe Flacco talking about Brent Grimes.

  • #2
    there are a couple of guys that were previously in/still are in the military that will be helpful to talk to.

    I will be joining this year. I talked to a recruiter just a few days ago and once I lose 40lbs I can be in. That's not a difficult task and one that I started tackling immediately upon talking to him.

    I guess some initial information would be: How in shape are you? Do you have a college degree? Why are you wanting to join? Etc...

    Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

    Super Bowl XLIV Champions
    WHO DAT!

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by diabsoule View Post
      there are a couple of guys that were previously in/still are in the military that will be helpful to talk to.

      I will be joining this year. I talked to a recruiter just a few days ago and once I lose 40lbs I can be in. That's not a difficult task and one that I started tackling immediately upon talking to him.

      I guess some initial information would be: How in shape are you? Do you have a college degree? Why are you wanting to join? Etc...
      im 5'10" 175lbs and in pretty good shape. not amazing, but good enough.
      no college degree.
      and i wanna join cause i think its a good career opportunity

      Sig by BK

      “They have one guy, he’s pretty short. But he can go out and play. He can be a little aggravating too.’’ -- Joe Flacco talking about Brent Grimes.

      Comment


      • #4
        It isn't as bad of an option as a lot of people make it out to be. There aren't too many jobs out there and although it isn't a huge moneymaker, you have a decent steady income with few expenses if you use your money wisely. A lot of people today are joining after college and military experience looks very good to employers, it is actually something I am considering when I graduate from Ole Miss in December.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Don Vito View Post
          It isn't as bad of an option as a lot of people make it out to be. There aren't too many jobs out there and although it isn't a huge moneymaker, you have a decent steady income with few expenses if you use your money wisely. A lot of people today are joining after college and military experience looks very good to employers, it is actually something I am considering when I graduate from Ole Miss in December.
          the fact it is a steady income is very nice to me, I work full time at Whole Foods and like 90% of my money goes towards bills so it's been very stressful.

          Sig by BK

          “They have one guy, he’s pretty short. But he can go out and play. He can be a little aggravating too.’’ -- Joe Flacco talking about Brent Grimes.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by SimonRath View Post
            im 5'10" 175lbs and in pretty good shape. not amazing, but good enough.
            no college degree.
            and i wanna join cause i think its a good career opportunity
            It's a great career opportunity and it's something I encourage people to try. Joining has been a goal of mine for a few years now and this year I will make it a reality. There is just too much opportunity to pass up and once you finish your enlistment you'll have marketable job skills and being in the service looks amazing on a resume.

            Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

            Super Bowl XLIV Champions
            WHO DAT!

            Comment


            • #7
              I did 6 years in the Navy, working in the submarine force. I'm very glad I did it. There were a lot of crappy days, but there were also good days and many interesting experiences. The pay is pretty good in the sub force, as far as military jobs go. I used the MGI Bill to help me pay for school after I got out. Really glad I did it.

              If you're going to join the military, I highly recommend using the educational options available. Invest into the GI Bill and take classes while in the military, if you ever have time.

              Comment


              • #8
                As much as you'll question it going through when you look back it will be one of the better experiences you'll ever have.

                Comment


                • #9
                  SuperKevin needs to return from the abyss and contribute to this. He was pretty darn knowledgeable considering he's still enlisted.

                  Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I'm not 100% positive, but I think Ironman and senormysterio have military experience. CJ, too.


                    http://minnesotasportstwentyfourseven.blogspot.com/

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Definitely take advantage of the education opportunities they make available. ROTC has done great things for some friends of mine. One in particular who got an undergrad from Notre Dame and then a post grad law degree. Spend some time on the beaches of Iraq for her trouble, but that's the life you're signing up for.

                      Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Vikes99ej View Post
                        I'm not 100% positive, but I think Ironman and senormysterio have military experience. CJ, too.
                        4 years in the Army, two in Nam. Dont know if that's experience or just stupidity.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          You will never get a better chance to better your education at a better price than joining the military. Because of the Montgomery/G.I. Bill, I was able to not have to work and focus on studies my first 3 years of school. If enlistment is your goal, go in with a purpose. Seek to enlist in an MOS (military word for "job") that you will not only enjoy but that will aid you in the real world after your service is over, even if that happens to be acquiring leadership skills.
                          If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.




                          2 C 5:6-8 Jakob Murphy aka themaninblack

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I've been in the Navy eight years and am still active.
                            I got selected for a commissioning program now so I get paid to go to school full time.
                            I use the GI Bill to pay for tuition and get a paycheck every two weeks. Pretty good deal.

                            I qualified to work on subs but did my tours on carriers though.
                            My suggestion would be, make sure you get a job you'd like doing.
                            Start running 3 miles a couple times a week.
                            Also, definitely use that GI Bill if you can.
                            Not much time to use it while you're active duty so probably afterwards.
                            -Boston Red Sox-New England Patriots-Boston Celtics-

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Ive always told myself that if I have nothing going for me by age 24 or 25 you might as well join the military.


                              "Just Win Baby"- Al Davis
                              @SirStackAlot707

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X

                              Debug Information