Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HOMEWORK HELP Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Thanks Brent. That's why I said that if the NFL wants to take immediate action, they should create a program that helps more minorities get their foot in the door. Simply expanding the field of minority candidates would go a long way to helping that ratio.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Brent View Post
      Well, I can tell you that Singletary didnt get hired in Dallas because they felt that he didnt have a staff ready of coaches he would want to hire had they offered him the job. I think for the most part it's a lack of candidates who are ready to be a head coach. They have to get in the door before they can build up experience and reputation.
      That's my conclusion to why at least the NCAA should have my form of the Rooney Rule.

      Give these minority HC a chance at the NCAA level. Similar to guys like Jimmy Johnson, Barry Switzer, Dennis Erickson, Butch Davis, just a few guys off the top of my head. Let them prove they can be a head coach at the NCAA level so maybe they can get a low end NFL job like the Bengals or Raiders.

      However when you only got four or five minority HC in the NCAA out of around one hundrer and twenty, where is the chance for these minority coaches to gain experience and build their skills?

      Don't say assistant jobs because there have been plenty of minority assistants waiting for their turn and never got it.

      Where is the oppurtunity to grow?

      If it isn't my logic, what is the base problem here?
      INDIANAPOLIS COLTS: SUPER BOWL XLI CHAMPIONS!

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
        Thanks Brent. That's why I said that if the NFL wants to take immediate action, they should create a program that helps more minorities get their foot in the door. Simply expanding the field of minority candidates would go a long way to helping that ratio.
        Create what type of program though? How would it work besides helping minorities get their foot in the door?
        INDIANAPOLIS COLTS: SUPER BOWL XLI CHAMPIONS!

        Comment


        • I know someone who wasnt picked to be in the FBI because they needed to meet a certain quota.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by IndyColtScout View Post
            Create what type of program though? How would it work besides helping minorities get their foot in the door?
            What more can the NFL really do besides give people a chance to distinguish themselves? The NFL can't force there to be more legitimate candidates for only 32 positions in the NFL. That's up to the particular candidates.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
              What more can the NFL really do besides give people a chance to distinguish themselves? The NFL can't force there to be more legitimate candidates for only 32 positions in the NFL. That's up to the particular candidates.

              How would the program work though? The NFL assign these interested minorities to small time jobs for every different organization? How would you envision it working?
              INDIANAPOLIS COLTS: SUPER BOWL XLI CHAMPIONS!

              Comment


              • Originally posted by tjsunstein View Post
                I know someone who wasnt picked to be in the FBI because they needed to meet a certain quota.
                That's what I thought. If there is a "ratio" or "quota" these business much reach, how are NFL franchises and NCAA AD's getting away with this? Less than one percent? 80-20? That isn't equal employment. 60-40, 55-45, 50-50 yeah that is even playing ground.

                I seriously cant understand how there is a shortage in minority NFL quality coaches without there being unlawful hiring practices going on here.

                I'm sure there are absolutely tons of minority HS HC waiting for their chance to coach in college. If you don't give them a chance at the NCAA level, how are they ever going to have a chance at the NFL level?
                INDIANAPOLIS COLTS: SUPER BOWL XLI CHAMPIONS!

                Comment


                • Originally posted by IndyColtScout View Post
                  How would the program work though? The NFL assign these interested minorities to small time jobs for every different organization? How would you envision it working?
                  Why not have the NFL take a greater role in the hiring of lower level coordinators? Make a draft where you take coaches from the college ranks? I don't really know, but the NFL needs to hold their teams accountable to public perception, not to some ******* ratio.

                  Comment


                  • They are called a minority for a reason. . . Proportional representation is where it is at, not some 50-50 thing. once there is an even number in population there should be an even number in there, but you have to think about something. How old are these Team Presidents? A lot of them grew up before Civil Rights was accepted, so they have those prejudices. That is where the messed up thing is. They'll invest all loads of money into a workhorse Runningback who is African-American, but they won't hire a coach who is a minority because they don't think they have what it takes to run a team. Time is the only cure for this type of thing, as you get Owners and CEO's of teams leaving their teams for younger people, who are less biased.
                    CHRIS PETERSEN > STEVE SARKISIAN AND JIM MORA. CALL ME WHEN ONE MAKES A BCS BOWL.


                    Originally posted by slightlyabroncosfan
                    JBalla is mormon, so naturally he assumes that whenever you get one marriage done, another two or five are in the works.

                    Comment


                    • "Again, subjective to the person and how past expieriences have gone. "
                      What word could I use instead of gone in that sentence?

                      Comment


                      • occurred? unfolded?
                        CHRIS PETERSEN > STEVE SARKISIAN AND JIM MORA. CALL ME WHEN ONE MAKES A BCS BOWL.


                        Originally posted by slightlyabroncosfan
                        JBalla is mormon, so naturally he assumes that whenever you get one marriage done, another two or five are in the works.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by jballa838 View Post
                          occurred? unfolded?
                          Thanks. Writer's block...

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
                            Why not have the NFL take a greater role in the hiring of lower level coordinators? Make a draft where you take coaches from the college ranks? I don't really know, but the NFL needs to hold their teams accountable to public perception, not to some ******* ratio.
                            Instead of having the Rooney rule for just head coaches have it used on position coaches/assistants. If you watch when a coach leaves to go to another team he usually takes a couple guys from the last staff to his new one. How come no one questions that? I am not saying this is or isn't the solution but it's just something to consider.

                            Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

                            Comment


                            • I dont think this rule should have been needed in the first place. Don't get me wrong, now that it's here, it may be a good thing but who knows for sure. What says that some GMs interview minority coaches and write them off even before they get in the door, just to say they abided to the Rooney Rule. If a coach is fit out for the job in terms of X's and O's and leadership and whatever other qualities a Gm is looking for then he should get the job regardless of his race. Unfortunately, it's not like that. The GMs and owners are more old school dating back to the segregation times and they may or may not still be prejudice. Without getting into politics, I think once a new generation of GMs and Owners sweep through the front offices, this rule wont even be needed.

                              The Rooney Rule just brings out the race issue more so than doing away with it. Should it be a rule? No. I think if the owner and GM are that devoted to winning, they will pick the best HC for their team despite race. I am very skeptical of any GMs/Owners being racists but there's always that small chance. I just thought working in such a diverse industry that race was a non factor. I must have thought wrong.

                              There was a thread on this: http://draftcountdown.com/forum/show...ht=Rooney+Rule

                              It was locked but take it for FWIW

                              Comment


                              • 12 + t - 8 = 0
                                t

                                It is really easy. I'm just not thinking straight right now.
                                Virginia Tech.
                                ACC Champions 2004, 2007, 2008, 2010

                                Next Up: 2012

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X

                                Debug Information