Does MLB need a Salary Cap?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eazyb81
    We had an excellent thread on this about a year ago, too bad old threads always get deleted..... :evil:

In short, yes, there should probably be a salary cap, along with a salary floor.

However, more importantly, there should be 100% revenue sharing like in the NFL. Making the Yankees spend $150 mill instead of $200 mill doesn't help Pittsburgh, KC, Tampa, etc become competetive.

While we're at it, there should also be a true worldwide draft and MLB should allow teams to trade draft picks.
    I think a lot of the problems has to do with some owners in the smaller markets. I think the Yankees shelled out 77 million dollars this past year to share with other teams. A lot of owners take that money and don't put it into their teams. I've said this before, It would be really easy for George to cut the Yankees payroll to 150 million and put that extra 50 million in his pocket. They would still have the highest payroll and he would be that much richer. But he doesn't do that because he wants to win and loves baseball. Not enough owners love the sport in my opinion. That is one thing I love about being a Giants and Yankee fan. Our owners are in the sports business. Their teams are their business. This isn't the case in most places.

Comment

Originally posted by Jughead10
      We had an excellent thread on this about a year ago, too bad old threads always get deleted..... :evil:

In short, yes, there should probably be a salary cap, along with a salary floor.

However, more importantly, there should be 100% revenue sharing like in the NFL. Making the Yankees spend $150 mill instead of $200 mill doesn't help Pittsburgh, KC, Tampa, etc become competetive.

While we're at it, there should also be a true worldwide draft and MLB should allow teams to trade draft picks.
      I think a lot of the problems has to do with some owners in the smaller markets. I think the Yankees shelled out 77 million dollars this past year to share with other teams. A lot of owners take that money and don't put it into their teams. I've said this before, It would be really easy for George to cut the Yankees payroll to 150 million and put that extra 50 million in his pocket. They would still have the highest payroll and he would be that much richer. But he doesn't do that because he wants to win and loves baseball. Not enough owners love the sport in my opinion.
      Just because they don't put it directly into MLB payroll doesn't mean they're not putting it into the team. If small-market teams were smart, they would pour the luxury tax money that they're getting into scouting, development, amateur draft, and signing international players.

Paying crappy players like Mark Redman, Gil Meche, and Jeremy Burnitz $6 mill a year instead of $4 mill is dumb and doesn't help small market teams in the long run.

Originally posted by BrownsTown

If Chase Daniel finishes top 5 in the Heisman I'll cut my balls off.

2008 COTTON BOWL CHAMPIONS

Comment

I think a lot of the problems has to do with some owners in the smaller markets. I think the Yankees shelled out 77 million dollars this past year to share with other teams. A lot of owners take that money and don't put it into their teams. I've said this before, It would be really easy for George to cut the Yankees payroll to 150 million and put that extra 50 million in his pocket. They would still have the highest payroll and he would be that much richer. But he doesn't do that because he wants to win and loves baseball. Not enough owners love the sport in my opinion.
        Just because they don't put it directly into MLB payroll doesn't mean they're not putting it into the team. If small-market teams were smart, they would pour the luxury tax money that they're getting into scouting, development, amateur draft, and signing international players.

Paying crappy players like Mark Redman, Gil Meche, and Jeremy Burnitz $6 mill a year instead of $4 mill is dumb and doesn't help small market teams in the long run.
        First of all Gil Meche isn't crappy. And hopefully now that the Royals have new management, they will spend money more wisely.

Comment

I just think it's ridiculous that some people believe that George Steinbrenner just likes to win more than other owners, and that's why he spends so much on his team. In reality, he receives an insane amount of money from YES Network and other outlets, while also having the luxury of being in the #1 media market in the country. This increased revenue allows him to spend crazy amounts of money on payroll while still making money on the team.

The owners in KC, Pittsburgh, Milwaukee, and Tampa Bay can't spend even close to that much money on their team because they don't generate even 25% of what the Yankees do, so they would be hemoragging money every year, which is simply unrealistic.

Comment

Yes, they should make the Salary Cap at $150 million.

No one could really complain here, and it would prevent the Yankees from buying up every quality free agent out there. No one needs a 200 million dollar payroll (especially if they can't win with it).
            R.I.P. L.E.F.
            "I am the one who knocks!"

Comment

I just think it's ridiculous that some people believe that George Steinbrenner just likes to win more than other owners, and that's why he spends so much on his team. In reality, he receives an insane amount of money from YES Network and other outlets, while also having the luxury of being in the #1 media market in the country. This increased revenue allows him to spend crazy amounts of money on payroll while still making money on the team.

The owners in KC, Pittsburgh, Milwaukee, and Tampa Bay can't spend even close to that much money on their team because they don't generate even 25% of what the Yankees do, so they would be hemoragging money every year, which is simply unrealistic.
              He definately cares more than most owners. He has more to do and is more interested in the every day going ons of his team more than most owners. I think that is pretty much undeniable. I hear what you are saying with the YES Network and #1 media market. But there is also another team in this town. Also the Yankees apparently didn't make money this year. They lost some.

Comment

He definately cares more than most owners. He has more to do and is more interested in the every day going ons of his team more than most owners. I think that is pretty much undeniable. I hear what you are saying with the YES Network and #1 media market. But there is also another team in this town. Also the Yankees apparently didn't make money this year. They lost some.
                You're crazy if you think the Yankees lost money this year. MLB doesn't open their books, so you just have to go by what they say, which shouldn't count for anything. If they aren't willing to open their books, I think that would tell most people they are making gobs of money but don't want the general public to know.

In addition, I think you are a little out of touch if you really believe George Steinbrenner cares more about his team and winning than other owners. Just because he's constantly featured on Sportscenter because he's the owner of the most profitable team in American professional sports, does not mean that he cares more about his team than other owners. And how exactly is he "more interested" and "have more to do" than other owners?

Comment

You're crazy if you think the Yankees lost money this year. MLB doesn't open their books, so you just have to go by what they say, which shouldn't count for anything. If they aren't willing to open their books, I think that would tell most people they are making gobs of money but don't want the general public to know.

In addition, I think you are a little out of touch if you really believe George Steinbrenner cares more about his team and winning than other owners. Just because he's constantly featured on Sportscenter because he's the owner of the most profitable team in American professional sports, does not mean that he cares more about his team than other owners. And how exactly is he "more interested" and "have more to do" than other owners?
                  Up until this year, he has had his hand in every move the Yankees made. He was acting almost as a second GM. He created a team of associates down in Tampa who basically sit around a table and discuss the team all offseason. Cashman was nothing more than a puppet for a while. What owner cares more about winning than Steinbrenner? I don't think you can name many. Steinbrenner = Yankees. Most people don't even know how he made all his money because he is so synomous with the Yanks. Most other owners get associated with their business first and their sports franchise second. I say most because there are some old school owners still around, especially in football.

Comment

Yes. And Belish is right about Jughead's "Larry Bird rule", which I believe is what the suggestion most resembles, although not specifically.

by BoneKrusher
                    <DG> how metal unseen
                    <TheUnseen> Drunken Canadian Bastard: There's an APS for that

Comment

I agree my idea would be hard to imply, but in a perfect world I would like to see something similar. A hard cap will never work in baseball in my opinion so a funky twist along those lines will have be worked in if it ever was to go through.

Comment

Up until this year, he has had his hand in every move the Yankees made. He was acting almost as a second GM. He created a team of associates down in Tampa who basically sit around a table and discuss the team all offseason. Cashman was nothing more than a puppet for a while. What owner cares more about winning than Steinbrenner? I don't think you can name many. Steinbrenner = Yankees. Most people don't even know how he made all his money because he is so synomous with the Yanks. Most other owners get associated with their business first and their sports franchise second. I say most because there are some old school owners still around, especially in football.
                        I'm sorry, but agree with eazyb81 on this argument. YOu can't just say that just because George spends more that he's the best and most caring owner. He spends more because he can afford to spend more.

George doesn't have to worry about spending 200 mill as he's sure to get more then enough profit in return. He doesn't do it out of the kindness of his heart. It's VERY profitable for him to have Yankees competing. Meaning the more he spends the more he gets back.

Small market owners don't spend more because they are cheap, they don't do it because they can't afford to.

If the Pirates were to be getting the same return as the Yankees, I'm pretty sure their owner would spend a lot of money on the team also.

Comment

Originally posted by MaxV

I'm sorry, but agree with eazyb81 on this argument. YOu can't just say that just because George spends more that he's the best and most caring owner. He spends more because he can afford to spend more.

George doesn't have to worry about spending 200 mill as he's sure to get more then enough profit in return. He doesn't do it out of the kindness of his heart. It's VERY profitable for him to have Yankees competing. Meaning the more he spends the more he gets back.

Small market owners don't spend more because they are cheap, they don't do it because they can't afford to.

If the Pirates were to be getting the same return as the Yankees, I'm pretty sure their owner would spend a lot of money on the team also.
                          You missed the point though. Living in NY you should know in addition to spending more money on his team, you know he is involved in the day to day functions of his team, wheter that is a good or bad thing. More so than the Wilpons for a familiar comparison. I can't think of another baseball owner who is more involved in every aspect of the team than him. Maybe the owner of the Angels, I forgot his name.

Comment

Angels owner is Moreno.
                            #Chop

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

You missed the point though. Living in NY you should know in addition to spending more money on his team, you know he is involved in the day to day functions of his team, wheter that is a good or bad thing. More so than the Wilpons for a familiar comparison. I can't think of another baseball owner who is more involved in every aspect of the team than him. Maybe the owner of the Angels, I forgot his name.
                              I’ve never said George doesn't care, off-course he does. My point was that it's not right to judge the owners commitment to the team simply by how much money they spend on it.

BTW, the fact that the Wilpons don't interfere is a blessing for the Mets. They know plenty about business but they don't know much when it comes to baseball operations.

They are committed to the Mets, if they weren't, they wouldn't open their checkbook as much. I just think they finally realized that Omar Manaya knows a lot more then them when it comes to baseball and they should just stay out of his way.

Comment

Originally posted by MaxV
                                I’ve never said George doesn't care, off-course he does. My point was that it's not right to judge the owners commitment to the team simply by how much money they spend on it.

BTW, the fact that the Wilpons don't interfere is a blessing for the Mets. They know plenty about business but they don't know much when it comes to baseball operations.

They are committed to the Mets, if they weren't, they wouldn't open their checkbook as much. I just think they finally realized that Omar Manaya knows a lot more then them when it comes to baseball and they should just stay out of his way.
                                I will judge other owners commitment too their team. Because I really think that is a big problem in major league baseball compared to many other sports. You see it some in football but nearly as much.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information