Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Marty Brodeur...where does he rank all time?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was seriosuly just about to start a thread just like this, only based around Dominik Hasek.

Not liking his style is not a reason for tarnishing his status among great goalies. He pulled it off and revolutionized the way some goalies play. Of course he has been a total bltch over his career, but he is a damn good goaltender.

Comment

Originally posted by RyanLeaf#1
      My Top 5 in no order
      1) Bernie Parent
      2) Patrick Roy
      3) Dominik Hasek
      4) Bill Durnan ( 6 Time Vezina Trophy Winner)
      5) Jacques Plante (6 Time Vezina Trophy winner)
      Sawchuk? And obviously I'm a giant Brodeur fan, but I don't know if he's top 5. He's definitely top 7, and when his career is over in a few years he'll be considered.

RIP TheManInBlack

Comment

Originally posted by stillaraiderfan
        He is no doubt a top 5 goalie of all time, he will end up 2nd on all time wins list.

Comment

Definatley top 5, I'd say either 3rd or 4th when he retires

Comment

Originally posted by MaxV
            Tretiak is top 5 also.

He never played in the NHL, but that's because the Soviet government didn't allow him to.
            Based on what I've read, I think Tretiak is overrated. Most people rate him based solely on the Summit Series. Yes, he was good in the Russian leagues, but they were inferior compared the the NHL (I'm not saying that they were bad, but as a whole, the talent level was much lower than in the NHL). Success in European leagues does not always translate to success in the NHL, which is obviously the premier hockey league in the world.

If you're going to say he's top 5 all-time based on an 8-game series and success in the Russian leagues, I could argue that Danny McManus is a one of the top QBs on all-time based on his success in the CFL.

He might be a top goalie, but certainly not top-10
            Another victim of Ontario's public education system.

Comment

Originally posted by Belish
              Tretiak is top 5 also.

He never played in the NHL, but that's because the Soviet government didn't allow him to.
              Based on what I've read, I think Tretiak is overrated. Most people rate him based solely on the Summit Series. Yes, he was good in the Russian leagues, but they were inferior compared the the NHL (I'm not saying that they were bad, but as a whole, the talent level was much lower than in the NHL). Success in European leagues does not always translate to success in the NHL, which is obviously the premier hockey league in the world.

If you're going to say he's top 5 all-time based on an 8-game series and success in the Russian leagues, I could argue that Danny McManus is a one of the top QBs on all-time based on his success in the CFL.

His domincance in the Olympics, which was against the best players in the world, makes him top five. Not to mention the Soviets destroyed the NHL all-stars that year in an exhibition game. He may have never played in the NHL, but he was absolutely a top five goalie

Props to Darnik

Originally posted by CutlerChris
              Why couldn't Helen Keller drive?

She was a woman.
              ^^^^^^
              OMFG LMAO

Comment

Originally posted by TIP
                Tretiak is top 5 also.

His domincance in the Olympics, which was against the best players in the world, makes him top five. Not to mention the Soviets destroyed the NHL all-stars that year in an exhibition game. He may have never played in the NHL, but he was absolutely a top five goalie
                But he lost to a bunch of U.S. college players. :)

Comment

Originally posted by TIP
                  Tretiak is top 5 also.

Techncally he did not lose...He allowed two goals after one period... then was taken out, which I still question why he was. But the game was tied after one. He is not credit with the loss. Michlin(sp?) gets the loss, so no, he did not lose to a bunch of college kids...in fact, if he stayed in, I think the U.S. may have ended up losing the game...thank god though he was taken out

Props to Darnik

Originally posted by CutlerChris
                  Why couldn't Helen Keller drive?

She was a woman.
                  ^^^^^^
                  OMFG LMAO

Comment

I'm a massive Brodeur homer, so I say he's number 1. I just like him so much. After removing my homerism, I'd say he's most likely top 5, he's getting up in years which could have something to do with a "downswing" but keep in mind, he's 1 season removed from back to back Vezinas, and last year won 40 games. He has amazing stamina, and is always near the top of the league in starts. And of course, he's got a shot at the most wins ever for a goalie. And for those of you saying he looked better cuz of the D, he made the D look awful good too, he made so many HUGE saves, especially in the playoffs, when it counts. I think the Ottawa Senators would have a Stanley Cup if not for Brodeur, he came up HUGE in game seven.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                    Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
                    Originally posted by njx9
                    do i tell you when to flip the burger?

Comment

Originally posted by TIP
                      Originally posted by TIP
                      Tretiak is top 5 also.

Techncally he did not lose...He allowed two goals after one period... then was taken out, which I still question why he was. But the game was tied after one. He is not credit with the loss. Michlin(sp?) gets the loss, so no, he did not lose to a bunch of college kids...in fact, if he stayed in, I think the U.S. may have ended up losing the game...thank god though he was taken out
                      ya i think so too. i dont think that Tretiak would have let in a couple of the goals that Myshkin let in. its tough to say.

i wasnt alive during the game, but i still to this day dont know why they took him out. but i guess it worked out for us huh.

Sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

Tretiak is top 5 also.

The 1972 Summit Series was the first ever....but it was NOT THE LAST!!!!!

http://www.geocities.com/canadavsrussia/

1974 Summit Series
                        The next eight game Summit Series which many Canadians have forgotten about took place two years later. It is worth mentioning because it also involved Canada's best pros from the WHA but not from the NHL. It was a legitimate struggle because of some of the talent on the Canadian bench and the fact that this time they were prepared. The USSR's team was pretty much the same as their 1972 team. Team Canada had hall-of-famers like Bobby Hull, Gordie Howe, Frank Mahovlich, Gerry Cheevers, and yes Paul Henderson. The format was the same as 1972 with four games played in each country. The Russians won this series quite easily outscoring Canada 32-27 in the eight games. They won four, lost one and tied three.
                        *(Valery Kharlamov, the Soviet's flashy winger, was inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame. To see the most incredible goal he ever scored be sure to get a copy of game 1 from this series played in Quebec City).
                        Soviets DESTROYED the Canadians in the 1974 Series.

http://www.geocities.com/canadavsrussia/1981.html

Soviets also beat Canadian pros in the 1981 Canadian Cup. Tretiak was AWESOME in this event, and this also was his 'LAST HURRAH'.

Look, I don't know where exactly Tretiak would rank had he played in the NHL, he has played against NHL talent PLENTY of times, and played great in almost all of those games.

As great as Tretiak was in the 1972 Summit Series, that was acctually one of his worst series against the NHL pros.

In the 1981 Canadian Cup, Tretiak was absolutely AWESOME, and he was considered past his prime then.

I don't think it's a stretch to suggest Tretiak would've been a great goalie in the NHL.

Kharlamov, I believe, would too, have been considered among the greatest players ever had he played in the NHL.

Comment

Working...
                        X

Debug Information