No announcement yet.

College Basketball Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baylor looks legit on defense. I could see them making a run in the tourney if they can just make their shots. Austin should develop nicely.

And I think they'll actually benefit from having to play in a deep conference. Losing to UIC isn't going to help though.

Comment

• Originally posted by Docta View Post
      Northwestern upsets Baylor. This might be the year they finally make the tourney.

The B1G is king in basketball.
      They're going to have to go at least .500 in the B1G, which is no easy task. It also doesn't help that they have some bad losses.

Comment

• As others have said, the BIG should easily get 6 teams in, probably 7, possibly 8 and the following teams are almost assured of making the tourny:

Indiana
        Michigan
        OSU
        Wisconsin
        MSU
        Illinois
        Minnesota (probably)

That's 7 right there that I don't see jNW passing in conference play unless something big happens. After that, they are competing basically with Iowa and Purdue for an 8th spot if it's there.

Unless there are some surprises with one of the top 7 teams falling off and jNW surprising everyone, I really can't see them making it this year.

Comment

• Minnesota probably? We're 14 in the country!

And no, Northwestern isn't getting in. That's your 7. I think Illinois or Wisconsin will have the hardest time getting in out of that group, not us.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.

Comment

• Yeah, Minny has been the 4th best team in the conference so far. Becky has played 2 ranked teams and gotten killed by both, they also lost to Virginia at home, and Illinois has ridden ridiculous three point shooting that won't continue.
            Last edited by yo123; 12-05-2012, 12:34 PM.

Comment

• I'll be honest, I haven't watched any of Minnesota this year. I knew coming in to the year they should be good, despite Mbakwe's best chances to derail his career. But #14 now really means jack. It's like saying Kentucky was top 10 to start the season. I could still easily see Minnesota, Wisconsin, or Illinois fall off a cliff come conference play and be one of the borderline BIG teams.

But I was just listing the top 7 teams off the top of my head. But ya, I'll be curious to see how Wisconsin does this year.

Comment

• It doesn't really mean the same as a ranking before the year at all, because the Gophers have built their way up to that spot by winning games that are going to help them come bracket time, and Kentucky was ranked that high because they're Kentucky.

Comment

• True. I guess what I really meant is it's like 8 games into the season. Just because a team is ranked 14 doesn't mean they are a lock to make the tourny. All the teams I listed should make the tourny, as they are the top 7 teams in the BIG was my point is all.

IMO, of those teams, Illinois, Wisconsin, and Minnesota are the top 3 (in no order) most likely to not make the tourny because who knows when any of those 3 will decide they want to be laughed at and lose to Iowa like last year.

Comment

• Originally posted by iowatreat54 View Post
                    I'll be honest, I haven't watched any of Minnesota this year. I knew coming in to the year they should be good, despite Mbakwe's best chances to derail his career. But #14 now really means jack. It's like saying Kentucky was top 10 to start the season. I could still easily see Minnesota, Wisconsin, or Illinois fall off a cliff come conference play and be one of the borderline BIG teams.

We're 9-1 and have beaten Memphis, Florida State, Stanford, and Richmond. Our only loss is to Duke, who is probably the best team in the country.

Now, that isn't exactly murderer's row, but it's a hell of a lot better than what a lot of teams have played.

Comment

• To be fair the Gophers have done this before under Tubby and collapsed, but this team has more overall talent and those previous teams had serious injury/legal/luck problems that won't happen this year if the basketball gods have mercy on us for once.

Comment

• Originally posted by yo123 View Post
                        To be fair the Gophers have done this before under Tubby and collapsed
                        Look at the schedules from those years; they were absolute cupcakes. This year they've already played 5 pretty good to great schools.

Comment

• Agreed, and I expect Minnesota to be good and they have a good resume so far. All I was contesting is that being #14 right now doesn't secure a bid to the tournament, especially when probably 50% of your schedule left is going to be tougher than any game minus Duke that you've played so far.

I don't expect Minnesota to go like 8-10 in conference, but I also don't expect them to go like 15-3. And especially considering they started 12-1 before hitting conference games last year (albeit against a much weaker schedule), but you can't really assume Tubby will have them there like you can with MSU or OSU.

Comment

• Originally posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
                            Look at the schedules from those years; they were absolute cupcakes. This year they've already played 5 pretty good to great schools.
                            Agreed. But I still can't give Tubby the benefit of the doubt at this point in his career.

Comment

• Originally posted by bearsfan_51 View Post

We had good wins against teams like UNC, Butler, and Louisville those years, but overall you're right. Those just stuck out in my mind I guess and made me remember the overall schedule as tougher than it was.

Comment

• Originally posted by iowatreat54 View Post
                                I don't expect Minnesota to go like 8-10 in conference, but I also don't expect them to go like 15-3. And especially considering they started 12-1 before hitting conference games last year (albeit against a much weaker schedule), but you can't really assume Tubby will have them there like you can with MSU or OSU.
                                8-10 in the conference would put them at 20-11 and probably in the dance. That's what I'm saying, with the resume that they have they would have to tank seriously hard to not make it.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information