Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by cardsalltheway View Post
    God I hope Illinois loses tomorrow.
    A little worried eh? I don't think we lose. I know that anything can happen but we beat PSU by 15 points in Happy Valley. And this is basically a home game for us up in Chicago. I think it's closer than expected but we pull out the win to face IU in the 2nd Round.

Another sig courtesy of BoneKrusher

Originally posted by JBCX
    Despite looking better against an underachieving Eagles team, I still think the Bears are one of the worst teams in the NFL. I smell a blowout victory by the Lions this week and a division sweep.

Comment

• Originally posted by sweetness34 View Post
      A little worried eh? I don't think we lose. I know that anything can happen but we beat PSU by 15 points in Happy Valley. And this is basically a home game for us up in Chicago. I think it's closer than expected but we pull out the win to face IU in the 2nd Round.
      Yep, definitely worried. I don't want to play Illinois in the United Center. The Big Ten Tourney is gonna be big in determining IU's seed and a first round exit will keep 'em in the double digits.

Designs by D-Unit

ILEMTPKC - I Love Eli Manning <The Patriots Killer> Club

Comment

• Idbihi only had 5 points and 2 rebounds today and fouled out. Atrocious. We never had a chance.

Comment

• Originally posted by cardsalltheway View Post
          Yep, definitely worried. I don't want to play Illinois in the United Center. The Big Ten Tourney is gonna be big in determining IU's seed and a first round exit will keep 'em in the double digits.
          I really think we can make a run to the title game if we can start playing like I know we can play. We started coming together before the Iowa game, and if we can carry that momentum into the tourney, we can make some noise.

It's like everytime we had a shot to get going, something bad happened to us. Which is why I still say a 21-10 record this season is incredible.

Despite looking better against an underachieving Eagles team, I still think the Bears are one of the worst teams in the NFL. I smell a blowout victory by the Lions this week and a division sweep.

Comment

Good analysis. By my counter to you choosing Paulus is this...

Chet is a much better defender (All Big 10 Defensive Team) and he is an incredible rebounder for a guard. He's certainly not the scorer that Paulus is but he doesn't need to be. The game of basketball is more than just offensive production, especially for PG's.

Here's my breakdown of the two players:

Shooting: Paulus - Chet needs a bunch of improvement in this area. If Chester can get more consistent, he'll be a good shooter, but he doesn't have a consistent shot yet. But he has greatly improved from last season. Paulus may be inconsistent, but he's a better shooter, no doubt about that.

Driving: Draw - Paulus is a good driver and penetrator, but so is Chet when he's 100&#37;. He's lighting quick off the dribble and very strong inside. He just doesn't do it as much as I'd like him to.

Passing: Frazier - Call me a homer here but Chet makes a lot less mistakes then Paulus does, even though Greg has improved. Chet seems to make the easy play all the time. And keep in mind this is just Chet's first year as a starter. Greg has started for 2 years now. And at one point, Frazier possessed a top 10 assist average in the nation.

Defense: Frazier - This is no contest and I don't think I have to defend this at all.

Rebounding: Frazier - Again, one of the best rebounding guards in the Big 10, and this was on just one foot.

Toughness: Draw - Shocking huh, well Greg has been known to dive into tables before, and Chet is one of the toughest guys in the game. I like how both guys play the game.

Leadership: Frazier - I have yet to see Greg take a leadership role on that team. Everytime I've watched them he doesn't seem to lead his team, which is surprising. Frazier on the other hand is our teams heartbeat. He's one of the leaders and he's one of the guys who goes all out every game for us.

Experience: Paulus - Pretty black and white here. Greg has had 2 years of starting, Chet has had one.

One area that doesn't show up on the stat sheet is Frazier's 2nd chance point opportunities. He gives our team at least 2 or 3 extra opportunities on hustle plays per game.

Chet is a true point guard. He's pass first, shoot second. While Paulus is a hybrid 1. He looks for his shot more than he does for passing, and that IMO is not a PG.

I give the edge to Frazier here. And keep in mind, this was on one foot the entire season. I don't think I've ever seen a harder worker than this kid and if he keeps going at this pace, by the time he's a senior, he's going to be a heckava player for us. Not sure about NBA potential, but he has a shot to be pretty darn good. His shooting is his key area of improvement. Which can be helped.

Up next is the 2 guard. Which is b/w Nelson and McBride. I still hold to my belief that Nelson is a better player. So if you say the same thing, I likely won't counter what you have to say.

Meh, I agree with you to some extent, but i don't think I would call Paulus an inconsistant shooter at all. It anything this season he has been a very consitant shooter, especially as of late.
            I agree that Fraizer is the better defender, but it's closer than you think. Paulus moves his feet well and stays on the balls of his feet and rarly ever gets beat to the bucket of the dribble. He's a major reason Duke has the number one scoring defense in the ACC.
            Paulus looks for the pass too much with his scoring ability and that is why he gets turnovers. So I don't 100% agree with your statement about him looking to shoot first. The only time I see him to look for the shot first is when the set the high screen pass/shoot option for him.

Nelson isn't Dukes "shooting guard", it's johnny boy. Nelson is more of a small forward I would say although he is listed as a guard. He's a difficult guy to put in a certian position. Give me a list of the starters you would like me to compare between the two teams and what positions.
            Last edited by TitleTown088; 03-07-2007, 10:19 PM.

What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
            they get smoked.

2010-2011 Super Bowl Champions
            Hint:Not the Bears.

Comment

• Originally posted by TitleTown088 View Post
              Meh, I agree with you to some extent, but i don't think I would call Paulus an inconsistant shooter at all. It anything this season he has been a very consitant shooter, especially as of late.
              I agree that Fraizer is the better defender, but it's closer than you think. Paulus moves his feet well and stays on the balls of his feet and rarly ever gets beat to the bucket of the dribble. He's a major reason Duke has the number one scoring defense in the ACC.
              Paulus looks for the pass too much with his scoring ability and that is why he gets turnovers. So I don't 100% agree with your statement about him looking to shoot first. The only time I see him to look for the shot first is when the set the high screen pass/shoot option for him.

Nelson isn't Dukes "shooting guard", it's johnny boy. Nelson is more of a small forward I would say although he is listed as a guard. He's a difficult guy to put in a certian position. Give me a list of the starters you would like me to compare between the two teams and what positions.
              Nelson is an off 2 guard, hence why I call him your shooting guard. He doesn't play like a SF at all. Which is why I put him in the 2 guard slot. Take your pick though, either player is better than McBride.

Paulus is a shoot first PG like most PG's are these days. Chet never looks for his own shot first. Hence why he's a pass first PG, one of the rare ones in CB right now. Haha part of it though is because he can't shoot very well. Paulus has plays for him to shoot, Chet doesn't.

And if you take the whole season into account, Paulus has been inconsistent. Sure he's picked it up late, but at the beginning of the year he was not good at all from the field.

Compare SF, PF, and C. Also bench. PM them to me if you want, I think it'd create less clutter on the board.

The little things that Chet does makes him such a good player. Defense, rebounding, toughness, hustle, smart plays, etc...Paulus has the more "sexy game" but I like Chet as a PG more than Greg.

Comment

• Marquette over Saint Johns. Now we move on to beat Pitt for the third time.

Comment

Nelson is an off 2 guard, hence why I call him your shooting guard. He doesn't play like a SF at all. Which is why I put him in the 2 guard slot. Take your pick though, either player is better than McBride.

Paulus is a shoot first PG like most PG's are these days. Chet never looks for his own shot first. Hence why he's a pass first PG, one of the rare ones in CB right now. Haha part of it though is because he can't shoot very well. Paulus has plays for him to shoot, Chet doesn't.

And if you take the whole season into account, Paulus has been inconsistent. Sure he's picked it up late, but at the beginning of the year he was not good at all from the field.

Compare SF, PF, and C. Also bench. PM them to me if you want, I think it'd create less clutter on the board.

The little things that Chet does makes him such a good player. Defense, rebounding, toughness, hustle, smart plays, etc...Paulus has the more "sexy game" but I like Chet as a PG more than Greg.
                  Well, the thing is Nelson actually plays more of a wingman than a off guard. Wingman is sort of a hybrid between shooting guard and small forward the way i see it. I honestly think this explains some of Dukes troubles because three of their best players( schreyer, henderson, and Nelson). With all of these guys it's difficult to have them all on the court at the same time. Well that and the lack of another true bigman. If

I know Paulus seemingly "picked it up" as of late the way most people see it withhis shooting, but I have honestly noticed it from day 1 this season in his shot. Shooting with much more confidence.

I guess this comes down to a preference team wise because Paulus really translates to the Duke team better because they have always relied more on guard play for success, especially in their offense where they rely on guard scoring heavily, mostly from the 2 guard. This is why I would much rather have Paulus, and I think in the future he will evolve into the better player out of the two. He has much more potential.

I don't really think we need to PM it because most of the people who come in here just come in to say so and so sucks or so and so is awsome. so they can work around it.

What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
                  they get smoked.

Comment

• Oh by the way everyone. Duke is really keeping Patrick Patterson entertained and it looks like they are the favorites to land him as of right now from what I have been reading. Alright!

they get smoked.

Comment

• We're not talking about systems though. We're talking about better all around players, and Chet is a better all around player. Paulus certainly has him offensively but in the other major categories such as passing, rebounding, and defense; Chet has Paulus beat. I think even you admitted you'd take Chet's passing over Paulus'.

I'll give Greg shooting, free throw shooting, and experience. But in every other catagory it's either a draw or Chet has him beat.

Sure Greg has more potential than Chester because of his offensive ability, but I'd take Chet any day over Greg. And if Chet can develop that shot this offseason even more, he'll catch up to Greg in that offensive category and solidify himself as one of the best PG's in the Big 10.

Comment

Oh by the way everyone. Duke is really keeping Patrick Patterson entertained and it looks like they are the favorites to land him as of right now from what I have been reading. Alright!
                        He'll be going to either Florida or Kentucky IMO.

Comment

He'll be going to either Florida or Kentucky IMO.
                          He just had a big sitdown with coach K at Cameron indoor this weekend. Things are looking good... I hope. Duke needs a power forward so bad. I can't remember the last time they had a pair of true bigmen besides just one and some other chump to compliment an outstanding big guy.

they get smoked.

Comment

We're not talking about systems though. We're talking about better all around players, and Chet is a better all around player. Paulus certainly has him offensively but in the other major categories such as passing, rebounding, and defense; Chet has Paulus beat. I think even you admitted you'd take Chet's passing over Paulus'.

I'll give Greg shooting, free throw shooting, and experience. But in every other catagory it's either a draw or Chet has him beat.

Sure Greg has more potential than Chester because of his offensive ability, but I'd take Chet any day over Greg. And if Chet can develop that shot this offseason even more, he'll catch up to Greg in that offensive category and solidify himself as one of the best PG's in the Big 10.
                            No we're not. However,I think this is another aspect that adds to Paulus's value because he is more important to his team, because they rely on guard play so much.

My vote goes passing - Fraizer
                            defense- draw, or near draw. Not a signifigant enough difference to go either way i think. I know your guy made the Big 10 all defense team. He is very good ,but Paulus averages 31 minutes a game on the ACC's best defense. See a connection here? He Also is playing agianst better guards in the ACC than in the big 10.

Reb. Fraizer, but come on ,these are PG's not really a majorly signifigant part of the game. That's for the big boys.

they get smoked.

Comment

No we're not. However,I think this is another aspect that adds to Paulus's value because he is more important to his team, because they rely on guard play so much.

My vote goes passing - Fraizer
                              defense- draw, or near draw. Not a signifigant enough difference to go either way i think. I know your guy made the Big 10 all defense team. He is very good ,but Paulus averages 31 minutes a game on the ACC's best defense. See a connection here? He Also is playing agianst better guards in the ACC than in the big 10.

Reb. Fraizer, but come on ,these are PG's not really a majorly signifigant part of the game. That's for the big boys.
                              So you totally discount Chet's rebounding ability because it's "for the big boys?" Come on now TT, you cannot do that. He's a better rebounder than Paulus.

And I'm sorry but Paulus is not as good of a defender as Chet. Either you are a blind homer on this one or you really have no clue. Chet too was the best defender on the Big 10's best defensive team in conference play, or one of the best defensive teams in conference play, and this was again on one foot. Paulus may be a good defender but Chet is just a beast on defense. And I'm sorry, but Chet gets the edge hear without a doubt.

Therefore in the 3 categories you just mentioned, Chet beats Paulus in all 3. Like I said, I'll give Greg scoring, but that's it. Chet is a better passer, he's a better defender, and he's a better rebounder. That's 3 out of 4 in your categories where Chet wins.

If you want an honest non biased opinion, ask cards who the better defender is b/c he's seen both play this season. And I bet I know who he says.

Comment

So you totally discount Chet's rebounding ability because it's "for the big boys?" Come on now TT, you cannot do that. He's a better rebounder than Paulus.

And I'm sorry but Paulus is not as good of a defender as Chet. Either you are a blind homer on this one or you really have no clue. Chet too was the best defender on the Big 10's best defensive team in conference play, or one of the best defensive teams in conference play, and this was again on one foot. Paulus may be a good defender but Chet is just a beast on defense. And I'm sorry, but Chet gets the edge hear without a doubt.

Therefore in the 3 categories you just mentioned, Chet beats Paulus in all 3. Like I said, I'll give Greg scoring, but that's it. Chet is a better passer, he's a better defender, and he's a better rebounder. That's 3 out of 4 in your categories where Chet wins.

If you want an honest non biased opinion, ask cards who the better defender is b/c he's seen both play this season. And I bet I know who he says.
                                I didn't say it dosen't count, but it certianly isn't a really important area of play for a PG.

Defense. Do you forget who had a broken foot before this season and required surgery that was supposed to keep him out 6 weeks? If you wanna use that excuse I can too. It's not blind homerism saying Paulus is as good Fraizer at defense, it's fact. Him, Nelson, and McRoberts are the reason Duke had the number one defense in the ACC, and one of the top in the country for that matter. Sure, Illinios was a solid defensive team, but they didn't play agianst the caliber of teams Duke did either.
                                He wins in three categories? I gave him one, passing. Paulus at Shooting. Draw at Defense. If you count rebounding as one i might as well count leadership. expirance, and PPG too.

they get smoked.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information