No announcement yet.

College Basketball Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeah, but Donovan is losing everyone on his team and really could be a recruiting genius in Kentucky.

Follow Me on Twitter!
    https://twitter.com/ShanePHallam

Comment

• Originally posted by JBond93 View Post
      Yeah, but Donovan is losing everyone on his team and really could be a recruiting genius in Kentucky.
      Florida did get a 6'6" shooter and Hodge and Richard and Green could all be back so that could be 4 out of 5 starters

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain

Comment

• Calathes said he would follow Billy D, to be honest if that was the case and Donovan could get Patrick Patterson UK will already be way better off next year than Florida is and we're obviously better off long term.

Gillespie AND Calipari do have extensions on the table and ready to be signed, however they have not done so yet... I suppose they're waiting to see what Donovan does.

Chris Richard is a SR so he's gone, Green is iffy. So best case scenario they have Green/Hodge and a bunch of new guys.

If Donovan has any consideration for the job he MUST take it now. We've had 5 coaches in the last 70 years...

I sure hope he comes, Lexington will be insane if/when he does. I just feel bad for him the way he's dodging the question in interviews... He keeps stumbling over his words.

Comment

• Originally posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
          Calathes said he would follow Billy D, to be honest if that was the case and Donovan could get Patrick Patterson UK will already be way better off next year than Florida is and we're obviously better off long term.

Gillespie AND Calipari do have extensions on the table and ready to be signed, however they have not done so yet... I suppose they're waiting to see what Donovan does.

Chris Richard is a SR so he's gone, Green is iffy. So best case scenario they have Green/Hodge and a bunch of new guys.

If Donovan has any consideration for the job he MUST take it now. We've had 5 coaches in the last 70 years...

I sure hope he comes, Lexington will be insane if/when he does. I just feel bad for him the way he's dodging the question in interviews... He keeps stumbling over his words.
          Who might be the replacement at Florida?????? I think Greg Marshall can be a major program coach.

Comment

• I thought it was in his contract that the one school he couldn't leave Florida for is Kentucky.

Comment

• Originally posted by GB12 View Post
              I thought it was in his contract that the one school he couldn't leave Florida for is Kentucky.
              A coach can resign and go to a different school, they can't stop him from doing that!
              | Hawkeyes || Rams || Lakers || Braves || Avalanche |

Comment

• Originally posted by HawkeyeFan View Post
                A coach can resign and go to a different school, they can't stop him from doing that!
                I thought that was a bit odd as well!

Comment

• Originally posted by GB12 View Post
                  I thought it was in his contract that the one school he couldn't leave Florida for is Kentucky.
                  One of the idiots on ESPN said that but it isn't true. You can view coaches contracts at USA Today's sight and there is no mention of the name Kentucky in his contract.

If he does leave... Two names seem the most likely.

Anthony Grant of VCU - Was an assistant under Billy D until last year when he left for VCU and was successful.

John Pelphry of South Alabama - Former UK assistant who was under Billy D as well. I doubt they go this route because to be honest it would just be another time where they let a coach go through the growing pains there only to have him taken away by UK whenever Donovan left.

Comment

• Originally posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
                    One of the idiots on ESPN said that but it isn't true. You can view coaches contracts at USA Today's sight and there is no mention of the name Kentucky in his contract.

If he does leave... Two names seem the most likely.

Anthony Grant of VCU - Was an assistant under Billy D until last year when he left for VCU and was successful.

John Pelphry of South Alabama - Former UK assistant who was under Billy D as well. I doubt they go this route because to be honest it would just be another time where they let a coach go through the growing pains there only to have him taken away by UK whenever Donovan left.
                    Grant would be a fairly decent choice and for those players that remain some will be familiar with him.

Comment

• If Donovan left, my guess is that Grant would get the nod.

Btw, not sure if you responded in the other thread Palmer, but I'm fairly certain that I've read comments by Calathes before about how, while he loves Billy D, he wants to be a Gator first and foremost, or something like that. Furthermore, I'd assume Calathes and Parsons are fairly good friends, and Parsons seems certain to stay at Florida. Also, while I'm not well-versed on it, wouldn't Calathes need to get Florida to let him out of his scholarship since he signed his LOI? Granted, most schools end up allowing it, but it would be an issue. I'm not sure Calathes goes anywhere, but eh, we'll see.

I can't wait for this whole Donovan thing to be over, and for Kentucky to get a coach, whoever it is. Eh, just getting tired of it. Was interesting for a couple of days.

There's rumors that Patterson is favoring Duke and Florida, but if Donovan leaves, that would change the dynamics. That said, I've read rumors where, if Donovan leaves, he'd likely committ to Duke. All rumors, though.

As for Florida next year, if Donovan stayed, he'd still have a solid club (because if Donovan left, there's a chance some kids may ask out, so it's hard to judge at this time).

I'm assuming Brewer, Noah, and Horford leave. I think Noah and Horford are locks to leave, and Brewer would probably head out. That said, I don't think they are in as bad shape as some make it out to be. Donovan has really stacked the cupboards there with guys, and he's got a strong recruiting class coming in by all accounts. It'd definitely be a rebuilding year, but by 2009, they could be back in contention, depending on how things go. Marresse Speights probably would've gotten a ton more time in another program. Walter Hodge and Green may start in the backcourt. Parsons could very well get a starting job. Guys like Dan Werner and Jon Mitchell might've gotten more PT at another institution. There's also Allen and Tyus coming in as a part of the recruiting class. If Donovan stays, the betting money is probably on them landing Patrick Patterson. A lineup of, say, Green/Hodge/Parsons/Patterson/Speights, with Calathes/Allen/Werner/Mitchell/Tyus would be a very young group, but potentially, a very solid group that gets better as the year goes along.

As for tonight's games, I picked Georgetown over Florida to start, and I'll stick with those two clubs advancing to the title game. I think Georgetown will be able to slow down Ohio State at some point. Xavier had Ohio State dead to rights, and Georgetown has better size and solid enough guard play. I think it'll be a close battle, but I like Georgetown to win. Now, the x-factor is if the big men get in foul trouble, which would shift the dynamics. I actually think that Georgetown is better equipped to handle the loss of Hibbert in this game than Ohio State is with the loss of Oden, but either way, it'd hurt both sides.

I think Florida and UCLA will be a dogfight, and with Shipp this year, they'll be able to attack and hurt them. That said, at the end of the day, Florida plays solid enough D and is a better offensive club, and I think the squeak out a close one.

But I've had a horrid tourny, so watch this go upside down.

Comment

• Ohio St. doesn't rely on Oden as much as is perceived. He averages approz 25 minutes a game. Nevermind the fact he didn't play in some games earlier in the season. I think OSU minus ODEN would still have been a top 10 team this year, comapred to G-Town minus Hibbert would have had alot more trouble in the big east. But against each other I'd take Cook.Lewis.MCjr.Bulter.Hunter.Harris.Lighty.
                        my scent?...like making love to a lumberjack
                        <TACKLE> i will ngata give you a bj raji
                        <+BOE> Scott, with Burfict's character concerns (whether legit or not) you think Pioli would draft him. :D
                        <+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
                        Originally posted by Hermstheman83
                        What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.

Comment

• Go Georgetown and Florida!!!!!! :)

Comment

• Maybe I should've reworded. I think OSU without Oden is in bigger trouble against Georgetown with Hibbert than Georgetown without Hibbert is against OSU with Oden. But that's me.

Comment

• Originally posted by toonsterwu View Post
                              Maybe I should've reworded. I think OSU without Oden is in bigger trouble against Georgetown with Hibbert than Georgetown without Hibbert is against OSU with Oden. But that's me.
                              You're right!

Comment

• I think OSU would still be a very good team without Oden or with him. Sometimes if not 60&#37; of the time, they play better without him because the other players step up their play and realize they cannot go on a drought or what not without him in the game.

But that is me over analyzing tOSU without Oden. It's odd, a switch goes off and they start draining threes, playing tighter D etc.
                                my scent?...like making love to a lumberjack
                                <TACKLE> i will ngata give you a bj raji
                                <+BOE> Scott, with Burfict's character concerns (whether legit or not) you think Pioli would draft him. :D
                                <+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
                                Originally posted by Hermstheman83
                                What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information