No announcement yet.

College Basketball Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forget what I said before about Tyler Smith, for anyone who cares he is going to remain at Iowa for atleast one more year, atleast thats what it sounds like in his interviews.

Thank you god!
    | Hawkeyes || Rams || Lakers || Braves || Avalanche |

Comment

• BIG NEWS

Billy Donavan will remain head caoch of the Florida Gators and will not go to Kentucky

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain

Comment

• This is not suprising at all. Kentucky has an idea that they can hire anyone, that's simply not the case. I never bought Donovan, Izzo, or Matta as serious contendors.

I'd go after Gillespie, but it appears Rick Barnes is their plan B.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.

Comment

• Gillespie is a much better coach than Barnes. They could also stand to take a run at Mark Few.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

Comment

• Bob Huggins leaving K-state to coach at West Va. Wonder if they let Michael Beasley open his recruitment back up. If they let Beasley change where hes going I bet he goes to USC if he doesnt goto West Va of course.

Comment

• Originally posted by Charm City Byrdgang View Post
              Bob Huggins leaving K-state to coach at West Va. Wonder if they let Michael Beasley open his recruitment back up. If they let Beasley change where hes going I bet he goes to USC if he doesnt goto West Va of course.
              Mayo and Beasley would be a killer tandem

Comment

• Things took a huge change today.

In what little reading I've done since I've got home it looks like either Billy Gillespie or Mike D'antoni (Suns coach). Gillespie is short and sweet to sign.

As dumb as the D'antoni rumor sounds it actually may have some legs. I laughed at it when I first heard it but one of our respected announcers (who never said anything either way about Donovan) has said that D'antoni has contacted our AD about the job. Supposedly his wife wants to move closer to WV (where their families are) and maybe he wants to slow down. I don't know, I'm really still not buying the D'antoni rumors (plus the guy has never coached college, granted a former NBA coach running a wide open offense should get recruits).

I'm hoping before the weekend is over that Billy Gillespie is the new coach.

Comment

• Barnes is out already.

The Donovan thing shouldn't have been a surprise. It was a message board driven idea that he was signed, sealed, and delivered, but it never made sense to me. This wasn't Roy Williams going "home". Kentucky was just a pitstop ... and while it might've been a "dream" job once upon a time, he had a much better gig. While Florida probably won't win it all next year, there's a good chance that, come 2008-2009, if his players have developed, he'll be in position to legitimately push again. They should be the favorites for Patrick Patterson, completing a deep class, and if for some reason Jai Lucas decides to go there, per the current talk of Jai adding Florida, they'd be ridiculously deep.

Much as Kentucky fans (and speaking more towards that rivals board and not anyone here) want to believe that they can get whomever they want, the realities of it was that, at this time, this was a historic program, but not an elite program. It reminds me of Alabama football when Franchione left for the Aggies. It has the chance of getting back to elite, but expecting an elite hire like Donovan right now ... it just didn't seem legit.

I don't buy the D'Antoni rumors either. Does he have any experience as a recruiter on that level? He'd need a ridiculously talented staff to bridge his shortcomings in the collegiate arena.

Gillespie I can somewhat see, so that may be legitimate. But I still have my questions about that (Gillespie's a Texas kid ... adding a nice class, and while they did lose the Law ... they still have a solid club coming back, a better club than Kentucky). IMO, Very rarily do you see coaches bolt for a worse situation unless there's a personal tie (say Gary Williams coming "home" to Maryland back in the day).

Personally, I think they should look to Pelphrey or Ford. Those are guys that would fight tooth and nail for the program and give the effort needed. IMO, forget Calipari. 1, I don't think Calipari moves anyways (better situation at Memphis right now). 2, Calipari, IMO, is akin to Saban in that, if a great situation came along, offering more pay, I can still see him bolting, Kentucky or not.

The only other guy I think they should pursue is Izzo, if there's any legs to that (and I still somewhat doubt those legs ... ).

Should be interesting to see how it plays out, but I still have significant doubts that anything will be done soon.

Comment

• What are the chances huggins ends up at WVU?
                    my scent?...like making love to a lumberjack
                    <TACKLE> i will ngata give you a bj raji
                    <+BOE> Scott, with Burfict's character concerns (whether legit or not) you think Pioli would draft him. :D
                    <+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
                    Originally posted by Hermstheman83
                    What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.

Comment

• Toonster, I'm sorry I just don't think Ford will leave UMASS right now...maybe 2 years. 2 more 18+ win seasons which is in reach will allow him for greater job's. But right now, he is loving it there, and what he did with Lasme and Freeman with HIS recruits as AWESOME. I think they will contend now with more of a run and gun, smaller team...esp in the A-10.
                      my scent?...like making love to a lumberjack
                      <TACKLE> i will ngata give you a bj raji
                      <+BOE> Scott, with Burfict's character concerns (whether legit or not) you think Pioli would draft him. :D
                      <+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
                      Originally posted by Hermstheman83
                      What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.

Comment

• Ford has stated that he would take the job in a heartbeat (shouldn't be a surprise).

It's looking like Billy Gillespie will be the new UK coach, I'm pumped. It's going to be insane when Florida comes into Rupp next year. I can honestly say I've never hated a team (in any sport) as much as I hate the Florida Gators basketball team right now, it's just how all of this went down. Not the fact that Donovan decided to stay, that was a big possibility... It's just the fact that it sort of seems like he was playing us for recruiting purposes and he has let his players bad mouth Kentucky publicly. If Jai Lucas and Patrick Patterson both go to UF they will experience booing of Matt Walsh proportions (Walsh was booed basically every time he touched the ball in Rupp Arena).

I'm hoping that Gillespie sticks around for a long time, if for some reason he has NBA aspirations then we have Pelphry or Ford to step in... They just didn't have enough experience for the UK job.

Comment

• Originally posted by bored of education View Post
                          Toonster, I'm sorry I just don't think Ford will leave UMASS right now...maybe 2 years. 2 more 18+ win seasons which is in reach will allow him for greater job's. But right now, he is loving it there, and what he did with Lasme and Freeman with HIS recruits as AWESOME. I think they will contend now with more of a run and gun, smaller team...esp in the A-10.
                          Ford would go in a second. He's a Kentucky guy ... I would be utterly shocked if Ford turned them down. That said, between Ford and Pelphrey, JP should come first.

Comment

• Has Kentucky contacted Greg Marshall at at all?

Comment

• BREAKING NEWS

Billy Gillispie will be named the new head coach at Kentucky at 12:45 PM Press Conference
                              Last edited by princefielder28; 04-06-2007, 07:16 AM.

Comment

• This is crazy now I have to go out and buy all West Virginia stuff after buying all K State things this year. I hope Huggins stays there for awhile. I know its is hometown so he should. I hate WVU football, but now I have to love their hoops team. HUGGINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                                Originally posted by nvot9
                                I'm going to personally PM you when the Mets win the NL East and the Phillies don't even make the playoffs.

Phillies 2007 NL East Champions & Back to Back MVP Award Winners.
                                Indianapolis Colts 13-3
                                Philadelphia Flyers 19-14-4 = 42 points
                                Philadelphia 76ers 14-18
                                Coach Bob Huggins 10-2

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information