Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

College Basketball Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by ncbigbody View Post
    My boys are waxing the aggies. If DJ Augustin plays like this, who can stop em?
    Errm Memphis, UNC, Duke (barf), Tennessee, Kansas....I'll just stop there

    Texas is a very solid team but I don't think they have the horses to keep up with the elites.


    Another sig courtesy of BoneKrusher

    Originally posted by JBCX
    Despite looking better against an underachieving Eagles team, I still think the Bears are one of the worst teams in the NFL. I smell a blowout victory by the Lions this week and a division sweep.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by princefielder28 View Post
      The Vols are overrated??? They have two losses all year and they play in the SEC; which is not top heavy but is deep. They've lost two games on the road (Texas and Kentucky) and they're are probably a more athletic team than Memphis. Memphis got away from a lose on Saturday but this Saturday will be a different story
      I completely disagree with you about the SEC. I would say that it is by far the worst conference of the BCS conferences. Besides for Vandy and maybe Miss. State, I really don't see anything special about anyone else in that conference.

      To go conference by conference of who I think would beat the Vols:

      ACC: Duke, UNC, Clemson
      Big 10: Indiana, OSU, MSU, Purdue
      Big East: UConn, Marquette, Louisville
      Big 12: Kansas, Texas
      PAC-10: UCLA, Wazzu, Stanford, Arizona, USC

      All of those teams have impressed me much more than the Volunteers this season. I will predict that if they have a #1 seed, they will not make it to the Sweet 16.


      Originally posted by Halsey
      I don't have to watch it to know it was not interesting.

      Comment


      • Does anyone else think Texas is a top 5 team right now who will make a serious run in the tourny? This team's got some big time playmakers on offense AND defense and overall is just very solid.

        - Beat Tennessee by 19 points.
        - Beat UCLA by 2 points
        - Beat Kansas by 3 points

        Those are all supposedly the best teams in the country right now...yet Texas beat all of them...not to mention they've beaten many other very good teams who are just shy of being ranked.
        Glenn Dorsey will slip...

        Jets will not take McFadden...

        Comment


        • Originally posted by nvot9 View Post
          Does anyone else think Texas is a top 5 team right now who will make a serious run in the tourny? This team's got some big time playmakers on offense AND defense and overall is just very solid.

          - Beat Tennessee by 19 points.
          - Beat UCLA by 2 points
          - Beat Kansas by 3 points

          Those are all supposedly the best teams in the country right now...yet Texas beat all of them...not to mention they've beaten many other very good teams who are just shy of being ranked.
          They don't have the depth to win the tournament though

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Turtlepower View Post
            I completely disagree with you about the SEC. I would say that it is by far the worst conference of the BCS conferences. Besides for Vandy and maybe Miss. State, I really don't see anything special about anyone else in that conference.

            To go conference by conference of who I think would beat the Vols:

            ACC: Duke, UNC, Clemson
            Big 10: Indiana, OSU, MSU, Purdue
            Big East: UConn, Marquette, Louisville
            Big 12: Kansas, Texas
            PAC-10: UCLA, Wazzu, Stanford, Arizona, USC

            All of those teams have impressed me much more than the Volunteers this season. I will predict that if they have a #1 seed, they will not make it to the Sweet 16.
            Duke and UNC could certainly beat them but not Clemson

            Wisconsin would be the only Big Ten team and you didn't even have them listed. State and indiana are two of the most overrated teams in the nation.

            UCONN is playing really well right now but with Tennesee's speed they would eliminate Thabeet's defensive presence. Marquette is a very underachieving team. Louisville could give them a run but I think Tennesee would get by.

            Kansas could beat them but I think it'd be a case where they'd split every game they'd play. Texas is very good but they have their moments of greatnes and then head scratchers.

            UCLA is the only Pac 10 team who could beat them half the time. Wazzu is a nice story still but they don't have the athletes. Stanford's big Lopez brothers would be eliminated by the speed like UCONN. Arizona would need to play one hell of a game. USC is too inconsistent.


            By the way the Big Ten is the worst of the BCS conferences. Purdue is leading the conference and they'll get a rude awakening in the tourney. Wisconsin is probably the best overall team. Indiana and State are overrated. Ohio State is average, Minnesota is improving, and the rest of the schools are awful.


            Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain

            Comment


            • How in the world could one hate Pearl Sweetness?

              What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
              they get smoked.

              2010-2011 Super Bowl Champions
              Hint:Not the Bears.

              Comment


              • So has beasley cleaned up his act off the floor, or is he still an ass that dominates every team he faces?

                Sig By Diehardvikingfan

                Comment


                • UConn will be playing DePaul tonight at 7PM, so I'm really looking forward to that game. Our talent off the bench is really amazing, which is why I think we could go far in the tournament. Wiggins has been great coming off the bench and really adds a new dimension to our team.

                  Not to mention AJ Price has been superb. He's a true PG for us. Really distributes the ball well and scores well too.
                  (shameless self-promotion)
                  Like video games? Subscribe to my Youtube Channel!
                  https://www.youtube.com/user/Forenci

                  Comment


                  • I finally got to see Thabeet for a game and he's not overly impressive. Sean Williams was easily a better prospect. Thabeet can block most anything, but he can't really do anything else and I don't see him being coordinated to be able to learn how to do anything else. He does remind me of a raptor though as he "runs" down the court.
                    Ohio State Buckeyes Duke Blue Devils New York Jets St. Louis Cardinals San Jose Sharks Seattle Mariners

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by thetedginnshow View Post
                      I finally got to see Thabeet for a game and he's not overly impressive. Sean Williams was easily a better prospect. Thabeet can block most anything, but he can't really do anything else and I don't see him being coordinated to be able to learn how to do anything else. He does remind me of a raptor though as he "runs" down the court.
                      Yes, but the improvement between last year and this year is like night and day. If he sticks around another year and improves some more, he could be a real stud at the next level. Plus, he's got the frame to fill out as he's 7'3, 265. For a man his size, he's not too bad at running down the court.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by princefielder28 View Post

                        UCONN is playing really well right now but with Tennesee's speed they would eliminate Thabeet's defensive presence.

                        We might not beat Tennessee if we played each other, but to say it would be because of overwhelming speed is very ignorant. Price, Wiggins, Robinson & Adrien, plus Thabeet moves very well for a big man. I thought Austrie was slow but he went the length of the court pretty quickly against USF. We are a very fast team and even more explosive than fast. If we lost to Tennessee it would be because of 3-pt shooting, and tonight Thabeet had several blocks on fast breaks, as did Adrien and Robinson.

                        Originally posted by thetedginnshow View Post
                        I finally got to see Thabeet for a game and he's not overly impressive. Sean Williams was easily a better prospect. Thabeet can block most anything, but he can't really do anything else and I don't see him being coordinated to be able to learn how to do anything else. He does remind me of a raptor though as he "runs" down the court.
                        That's like saying Shaq isn't good because he can only score from inside 10 feet and all he does is patrol the basket. Thabeet's touch around the basket is uncanny for his size and lack of experience. He's extremely coordinated and a very fast learner. All he needs to do is work on his basketball instincts, which will come with time. His potential is off the charts, my friend. I'm not sure which Thabeet you saw.
                        Last edited by etk; 02-19-2008, 08:36 PM.

                        sig by BoneKrusher

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by etk View Post
                          That's like saying Shaq isn't good because he can only score from inside 10 feet and all he does is patrol the basket. Thabeet's touch around the basket is uncanny for his size and lack of experience. He's extremely coordinated and a very fast learner. All he needs to do is work on his basketball instincts, which will come with time. His potential is off the charts, my friend. I'm not sure which Thabeet you saw.
                          The one on the court? He could potentially be a monster shot blocker (really, he already is), and yeah, if he did bulk up, he could be a solid rebounder (though I must say, it doesn't appear as if he can put on that much weight). I did see good form out there, but he was just getting pushed around like crazy. "Extremely coordinated" seems like quite the stretch, though. He gets some baskets to go in certainly, but his post game is ugly. Personally, I don't see that ever really developing, but to each his own. I'm obviously not saying he'll be bad, but I just don't think he'll become this great, well-rounded player. Not sure what you were going for with the Shaq reference, however.
                          Ohio State Buckeyes Duke Blue Devils New York Jets St. Louis Cardinals San Jose Sharks Seattle Mariners

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by thetedginnshow View Post
                            The one on the court? He could potentially be a monster shot blocker (really, he already is), and yeah, if he did bulk up, he could be a solid rebounder (though I must say, it doesn't appear as if he can put on that much weight). I did see good form out there, but he was just getting pushed around like crazy. "Extremely coordinated" seems like quite the stretch, though. He gets some baskets to go in certainly, but his post game is ugly. Personally, I don't see that ever really developing, but to each his own. I'm obviously not saying he'll be bad, but I just don't think he'll become this great, well-rounded player. Not sure what you were going for with the Shaq reference, however.
                            The guy's been playing for like five years, some of which was in Africa. Of course he's going to be raw. And you don't see his post game ever developing? With a decent big man coach, the guy will be a stud. People questioned whether Andrew Bynum's post game would develop. How's that working out?



                            You're telling me that frame can't put on weight? Bull ****. The kid will be fine once he packs on 20-30 quality lbs and his post game can easily be refined. Defense is a skill that is much harder to teach and Thabeet's already gone that, and his progress from his freshman year to sophomore year is like night and day.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by thetedginnshow View Post
                              The one on the court? He could potentially be a monster shot blocker (really, he already is), and yeah, if he did bulk up, he could be a solid rebounder (though I must say, it doesn't appear as if he can put on that much weight). I did see good form out there, but he was just getting pushed around like crazy. "Extremely coordinated" seems like quite the stretch, though. He gets some baskets to go in certainly, but his post game is ugly. Personally, I don't see that ever really developing, but to each his own. I'm obviously not saying he'll be bad, but I just don't think he'll become this great, well-rounded player. Not sure what you were going for with the Shaq reference, however.
                              He does get pushed around a lot, but I don't see it affecting his game very much. He's actually been taught to back away from bigger forwards that back him down to create space for a shot block, and it has worked to an extent. As for his coordination, you obviously have no clue what he was like as a freshman. He couldn't catch a pass or even hit the rim with a hook shot or layup. Now he's catching the ball in the post, using a drop step and using touch nicely over defenders to score. For a guy who's 7'3 270 he moves laterally very well and has good quickness. I'm not sure how you define coordinated, but if you wanna see a lack thereof, look no further than Jonathan Mandeldove and compare him to Thabeet. What's ugly about his post game? As a freshman he would get the ball in the paint, bring it down and get it stripped or blocked. Now he's making layups with 3-4 guys around him clawing at the ball and altering his shots. All he has to do is back in defenders and use his touch to score, or go up strong, all things he does this year and didn't do last year. Why go fancy when simple is working for him?

                              He doesn't need to become this great, well-rounded player. All he has to do is block shots, rebound and score from close range, all while taking care of the ball. He already does most of that very effectively. I think you're being too harsh in evaluating a raw big man.

                              sig by BoneKrusher

                              Comment


                              • The Vols have 2 losses against the #2 SOS, don't think you all have seen them play much. People can beat down the SEC like they do every year but every year we have 3 or so teams in the sweet 16.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X

                                Debug Information