No announcement yet.

College Basketball Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And he kinda admitted to it too on the CBS interview. "I'm disappointed in myself" and then said "probably should have" about a few different things.
    I remember: Sean Taylor

Bosanac01

Comment

• Originally posted by sweetness34 View Post
      Also, like the ESPN guys are mentioning they could have called a timeout on that final inbounds play instead of getting it inbounds right away.

Calipari IMO dropped the ball a bit down the stretch on multiple occassions.
      They should've fouled at the end of the game so they couldn't go for three.

Congrats to Kansas even though I'm indifferent to that school. I do, however, hate Memphis.

Comment

Not really. I still stand by the fact that Self is not a very good game coach.
        Ya know, normally I would agree with you here, but I really feel that he proved something this year...in particular this tourney. I mean that gameplan vs UNC was just a gem, and I mean a gem. He was working the big man to big man and their plan of attack was excellent. He's been a solid coach in the past, nothing overly spectacular, but solid. This year he took it to the next level and became a good coach, and let's not forget about his recruiting.

How about Roy Williams. Win's a National Title but I know there are still those out there who question his in game coaching ability at times and how his teams choke when the games on the line (minus that UNC squad that beat my Illini)
        Huh? Williams is a great coach. He's won two national titles already this decade and went deep in the tourney every year. Anyone who's questioning he's coaching ability is nucking futs or a Kansas fan. He's the second best coach in the country aside from the man who resides 8 miles away.
        Last edited by TitleTown088; 04-08-2008, 12:00 AM.

What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
        they get smoked.

2010-2011 Super Bowl Champions
        Hint:Not the Bears.

Comment

• This was the best coaching job I've seen all season by Self. His big issue is that he doesn't know how to rally the troops. I know someone was arguing with that point I made about firing his players up, but sometimes they just need that extra push, and he certainly doesn't do that, which is why Kansas has always tended to go in and out of games. However, his adjustments on defense were the finest I've seen all year from him. He was very quick to change whatever wasn't working and adjusting to something that did. And probably most importantly of all, realizing that there were no white players for Memphis, he quickly yanked Aldrich. I give him props. He's still sort of questionable on being a choke coach, but hey, this might have gotten him over the hump.
          Ohio State Buckeyes Duke Blue Devils New York Jets St. Louis Cardinals San Jose Sharks Seattle Mariners

Comment

• Originally posted by Nitschke-Hawk View Post
            And he kinda admitted to it too on the CBS interview. "I'm disappointed in myself" and then said "probably should have" about a few different things.
            I'm going to get slammed on this but I don't care...Memphis really shat down their leg in this game. Missed free throws, chance to foul to avoid a last second three and didn't, not calling a timeout after Chalmers hit the shot, and finally stalling the final minutes of the game.

3 of those have to do with coaching, the other one has to do with a lack of mental toughness. They had no reason to miss those free throws, they were making them going in, they were confident at the line, they were good in the first half, and they peed down their leg when the pressure came.

The Kansas guys on here calling me out were a free throw away from seeing Self fail again. If Memphis makes any one of those missed 4 free throws down the stretch (Rose and CDR had both been money all tournament long) they win the game. But instead the tables turn and Chalmers hits an amazing shot.

Sometimes the ball bounces your way, sometimes it doesn't. And for Memphis the ball did not bounce their way at the free throw line and Kansas took advantage like a good team does.

Another sig courtesy of BoneKrusher

Originally posted by JBCX
            Despite looking better against an underachieving Eagles team, I still think the Bears are one of the worst teams in the NFL. I smell a blowout victory by the Lions this week and a division sweep.

Comment

• only issue I had with Self's coaching tonight was staying in the box and 1 for so long after Rose started ripping it apart

Comment

• Originally posted by thetedginnshow View Post
                This was the best coaching job I've seen all season by Self. His big issue is that he doesn't know how to rally the troops. I know someone was arguing with that point I made about firing his players up, but sometimes they just need that extra push, and he certainly doesn't do that, which is why Kansas has always tended to go in and out of games. However, his adjustments on defense were the finest I've seen all year from him. He was very quick to change whatever wasn't working and adjusting to something that did. And probably most importantly of all, realizing that there were no white players for Memphis, he quickly yanked Aldrich. I give him props. He's still sort of questionable on being a choke coach, but hey, this might have gotten him over the hump.
                People still question Roy as an in-game coach yet he won a National Title. As bad as this sounds, until he can win another one I don't think the label will go away from Self. 4 straight years his teams underperformed greatly, went out twice in the first round heavily favored and went out in the Elite 8 four times, twice favored.

Self didn't really prove much to me to be honest. In order to be a successful program you have to recruit talent. These two teams were absolutely loaded with talent (Rose, Dorsey, Rush, Arthur, CDR, and Chalmers have a chance to be 1st Round picks...Jackson, Dozier, Anderson, Collins, and Robinson will most likely be drafted).

In the back of my mind I knew eventually Self would get it done. He recruited to well not to. And he's not a terrible game coach, he's usually pretty solid but he does have mental lapses no question. One thing I will say is that he can get them ready to play, his problems come when he has to adjust a game plan.

Self is a very good coach, I'm not going to lie. He can recruit like wild fire, he can get guys up for a game, he can develop talent pretty well, etc....His downfall is during the game and game preparing.

Despite looking better against an underachieving Eagles team, I still think the Bears are one of the worst teams in the NFL. I smell a blowout victory by the Lions this week and a division sweep.

Comment

• My dislike for self stems from these reasons;

A) He coaches at Kansas, and I hate Kansas. I hate their fans (no offense to those on here, you guys are cool but the ones I've met are terrible, no class)

B) He lied to Deron, Dee, James, Luther, and Roger, telling them he would not take the KU job, he also told the fan base he would be staying before he jumped ship

C) There is another issue that I won't touch, don't want to upset adcshofield ;)

Self's all and all a good guy and a good coach. And yes I have been and will continue to be hard on him for those reasons, if he leaves KU my dislike for him will go down but I still am ticked at how he left, much like KU fans still have a vendetta against ole' Roy.

Edit: If you're going to leave, be a man and admit you'regoing to leave. Don't lie to your players and then bolt a couple days later to leave us high and dry.

Comment

• I respect your class, Sweetness...good luck next year :D

sig by BoneKrusher

Originally posted by BuckNaked
                    Ok I'd almost rather spank my meat with sandpaper at this point.

Comment

• I just read an article that Rose was supposed to foul Collins on that last play of regulation. He didn't want to make it look like an intentional, so he barely checked him, which obviously wasn't enough for the call. So, I guess that can be taken off the Calipari-hate board.
                      Ohio State Buckeyes Duke Blue Devils New York Jets St. Louis Cardinals San Jose Sharks Seattle Mariners

Comment

A) He coaches at Kansas, and I hate Kansas. I hate their fans (no offense to those on here, you guys are cool but the ones I've met are terrible, no class)
                        What's there to hate about Kansas? Good midwestern school with great tradition and from what I've noticed ( after visited my friends and relatives who attend there) many times. Their students and fans are nothing but classy for the most part. It's one of those areas in the country that actually bleeds for their local sport. Very admirable.

As for the state of Kansas on the other hand...

What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
                        they get smoked.

2010-2011 Super Bowl Champions
                        Hint:Not the Bears.

Comment

• finished fifth in the nfldc pool. not too shabby..

Comment

• Originally posted by TitleTown088 View Post
                            He's the second best coach in the country aside from the man who resides 8 miles away.
                            Not lately.....That K guy is slipping...

Comment

• mike K is an awful coach he had 8 all americans or something and still couldnt get past the 2nd round, pretty soon Duke basketball will be Duke football... I really think Self should leave for Oklahoma state its the best move for him being an alum and to be quite honest the team for oklahoma state next year looks better than kansas if they lose Mario Chalmers, Brandon Rush, Darrell Arthur, other than the seniors... and their class dosent look too great, Oklahoma state has a great core in James Anderson, Byron Eaton, Obi Munelo

Comment

• Originally posted by WildDude View Post
                                mike K is an awful coach
                                Let's not get out of control here...

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information