No announcement yet.

College Basketball Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sweetness is right. The big 12 is a joke for the most part. Kansas may very well be overrated too. It's hard for me to buy into them.

What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
    they get smoked.

2010-2011 Super Bowl Champions
    Hint:Not the Bears.

Comment

• Originally posted by TitleTown088 View Post
      Sweetness is right. The big 12 is a joke for the most part. Kansas may very well be overrated too. It's hard for me to buy into them.
      Yes, outside of Oklahoma, I can't really feel confident about the Big 12, mainly Mizzou and Kansas. I mean, the main reason they both have gone on these stretches of winning and jumps in the rankings is from playing in the Big 12, Kansas especially since they got Oklahoma sans Griffin.

Comment

• Yes but the Big 10 >> Pac 10, Big 12, and the SEC and we have the highest RPI rating of the conferences I do believe. I'd rank the Big 10 behind the ACC and the Big East.

I encourage people to go to our roster, break it down, and find out how the hell we got 23 wins out of this team. None of the players right now on this squad are NBA players. Davis, Tisdale, and DMac could be down the line but not even close right now. Our two senior guards have been lambasted by our fan base since they have been on campus (apart from this year).

Talent wise, we are probably a bubble NCAA team to be honest. Again how we are a potential 5 seed is mind boggling which is why I think Weber should be considered for it considering what he's been able to do with his roster.

Another sig courtesy of BoneKrusher

Originally posted by JBCX
        Despite looking better against an underachieving Eagles team, I still think the Bears are one of the worst teams in the NFL. I smell a blowout victory by the Lions this week and a division sweep.

Comment

• I mean honestly, who had Illinois on their list for teams who would push for a high seed in March Madness. I can guarantee that pretty much all of you didn't. Hell I know I didn't, I was thinking NIT when we lost Jamar Smith. But top 25, 4-5 seed, top 3 in the Big 10 (with a shot at a 2nd place finish)...No way man, no way. And the Big 10 is a pretty solid conference. It's not the ACC or the Big East but it's still a good conference this year up and down (apart from Iowa and IU, sorry treat). No "great teams" but a lot of depth.

Despite looking better against an underachieving Eagles team, I still think the Bears are one of the worst teams in the NFL. I smell a blowout victory by the Lions this week and a division sweep.

Comment

• Yea, but at least IMO, LSU has been more impressive this year despite playing in a weaker conference. They are in 1st place, have nearly run the table, while having a worse team last year. Yes, the Big XI is more competitive, but Illinois has 6 conference losses in a conference in which after MSU and possibly Purdue, the next 8 teams are not consistent at all and questionable for a performance come tourny time. Illinois does have 2 good wins over Purdue, but they have 4 losses from extremely mediocre Big XI teams and are in 3rd place because of it.

I think Weber deserves to be in the discussion, but he really isn't a top candidate, at least in my eyes.

Comment

• Originally posted by sweetness34 View Post
              I mean honestly, who had Illinois on their list for teams who would push for a high seed in March Madness. I can guarantee that pretty much all of you didn't. Hell I know I didn't, I was thinking NIT when we lost Jamar Smith. But top 25, 4-5 seed, top 3 in the Big 10 (with a shot at a 2nd place finish)...No way man, no way. And the Big 10 is a pretty solid conference. It's not the ACC or the Big East but it's still a good conference this year up and down (apart from Iowa and IU, sorry treat). No "great teams" but a lot of depth.
              No offense taken, we are terrible.

I think the Big XI has good depth, but it is mediocre depth. MSU is tops, that's easy, and Purdue is marginally the 2nd best team but have been questionable at times. Illinois has looked like a dominating team at times, and looked like a team that should be about .500 at other times, they are very, very inconsistent. After that, Minny, PSU, Wisconsin, and Michigan are all mediocre teams that can show up once in a while. That said, 6 conference losses, even in an extremely competitive league, just doesn't cut it. I mean, the 5 teams in the much tougher Big East have 5 or less losses, which to me is much more impressive.

Comment

• Here's my Top 5 COTY candidates

1. Trent Johnson, LSU
                2. Jeff Capel, Oklahoma
                3. Lorenzo Romar, Washington
                4. Bill Self, Kansas
                5. Mike Anderson, Missouri

Honorable Mention :: John Calipari, Memphis; Jim Calhoun, UCONN; Dino Gaudio, Wake Forest

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain

Comment

• Originally posted by iowatreat54 View Post
                  No offense taken, we are terrible.

I think the Big XI has good depth, but it is mediocre depth. MSU is tops, that's easy, and Purdue is marginally the 2nd best team but have been questionable at times. Illinois has looked like a dominating team at times, and looked like a team that should be about .500 at other times, they are very, very inconsistent. After that, Minny, PSU, Wisconsin, and Michigan are all mediocre teams that can show up once in a while. That said, 6 conference losses, even in an extremely competitive league, just doesn't cut it. I mean, the 5 teams in the much tougher Big East have 5 or less losses, which to me is much more impressive.
                  Considering the talent on the roster though, that's where I'm looking. The Big East is tougher I agree but considering where we came from at the beginning of this season, it's quite astounding. The coaching award usually reflects wins and losses, rankings, etc...But I think they really need to look at what teams do during the year. UCONN, Pitt, Louisville, etc have marquee guys on their team, we don't. Again talent wise right now we are not a top 25 team. As far as "coaching" goes, maximizing your roster, no bad losses, big wins on the road, and consistency...I think Weber should be a finalist. All of those coaches you mentioned have something to work with, Weber lost his best player before the season started. There is not one guy on our roster who any of you would place on the first team in the Big 10, or quite possibly the 2nd team other than Mike Davis and even he has been inconsistent and has battle sickness this year.

Maybe it's just me playing the violin here but the turnaround from last year is just unbelievable. Under .500, lose 3 of our best players, and find ourselves as a possible 4-5 seed with soooo many question marks in a decent conference.

Comment

• I guess what I'm trying to say is that there is no reason for us to be where we are right now at all. On paper we are an average team. Which is not at all the case with UCONN, Pitt, UNC, Louisville, Oklahoma, MSU, Purdue, etc...I think in terms of doing the most with the least, Bruce Weber should be awarded with something for this season, and even if he's not at least recognized for his accomplishments because he's pulled a Houdini with this team.

Comment

I guess what I'm trying to say is that there is no reason for us to be where we are right now at all. On paper we are an average team. Which is not at all the case with UCONN, Pitt, UNC, Louisville, Oklahoma, MSU, Purdue, etc...I think in terms of doing the most with the least, Bruce Weber should be awarded with something for this season, and even if he's not at least recognized for his accomplishments because he's pulled a Houdini with this team.
                      He a strong case for Big Ten Coach of the Year but he won't get much love for the nation's coach of the year.

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain

Comment

• Originally posted by princefielder28 View Post
                        He a strong case for Big Ten Coach of the Year but he won't get much love for the nation's coach of the year.
                        I think he's the leading case for Big 10 COTY, it's him or Izzo and I understand that he won't grab the National one but I'd at least like to see him recognized for what he's done with this team.

People keep saying how ugly some of our games have been with the 33 and 40 point games we have had this year but I think that's just a testament to the coaching he has done, we have limited offensive and defensive talent this year and we are a top 25 team, pretty incredible.

Comment

• Originally posted by princefielder28 View Post
                          He should win Big XI COY, unless they decide Izzo doesn't have enough awards.

I'm just not impressed with the Big XI at all. I mean hell, we managed to beat 3 teams in it, that's saying a lot. If Illinois had 2 or 3 losses in conference then absolutely, but I just can't bring myself to giving a national award to the coach of a team who has 6 losses in what is at best a marginally above average conference IMO, especially when there are 11 teams in the 2 vastly superior conferences with that many or less losses. Granted, some of those teams have a lot more talent, but not every one of them do.

Comment

Yes but the Big 10 >> Pac 10, Big 12, and the SEC and we have the highest RPI rating of the conferences I do believe. I'd rank the Big 10 behind the ACC and the Big East.

I encourage people to go to our roster, break it down, and find out how the hell we got 23 wins out of this team. None of the players right now on this squad are NBA players. Davis, Tisdale, and DMac could be down the line but not even close right now. Our two senior guards have been lambasted by our fan base since they have been on campus (apart from this year).

Talent wise, we are probably a bubble NCAA team to be honest. Again how we are a potential 5 seed is mind boggling which is why I think Weber should be considered for it considering what he's been able to do with his roster.
                            I really don't see how you can make the argument that the Big 10 is significantly better than the Big 12. They're about equal in my eyes.

sig by BoneKrusher

Originally posted by BuckNaked
                            Ok I'd almost rather spank my meat with sandpaper at this point.

Comment

• Well the COY Finalists were released today...I really don't see how you can make a legit argument for another finalist over Self, but whatever...

http://www.kansascity.com/news/break...y/1062842.html

sig by BoneKrusher

Originally posted by BuckNaked
                              Ok I'd almost rather spank my meat with sandpaper at this point.

Comment

• Originally posted by adschofield View Post
                                Well the COY Finalists were released today...I really don't see how you can make a legit argument for another finalist over Self, but whatever...

http://www.kansascity.com/news/break...y/1062842.html
                                Well, Capel and Dixon have better teams, with better records, and in the case of Dixon, in a much better conference. Even Calipari lost just as much as Kansas did and has a better team on paper, albeit CUSA isn't good at all. But to even be top 10 after all they lost is still impressive.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information