No announcement yet.

College Basketball Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Northern Iowa impressed the hell out of me in the MVC Tourney. Not a lot of flash but balanced scoring and good defense = dangerous team. I think they are less hit or miss than a team like Siena who happens to shoot a lot of 3's.

Btw, in regards to Curry. He was doubled teamed for an entire game this year and wound up with what like 2 points, or did he even score? When have you ever witnessed that? Curry is not a "chucker." He's an aggressive shooter but it's not like he shoots every time down the floor and as treat mentioned, his shots per game average really isn't that bad and neither is his FG%. Curry is the only reason Davidson is even discussion as an NCAA Team even though they aren't. Without him they would be awful, and I mean really bad.

Another sig courtesy of BoneKrusher

Originally posted by JBCX
    Despite looking better against an underachieving Eagles team, I still think the Bears are one of the worst teams in the NFL. I smell a blowout victory by the Lions this week and a division sweep.

Comment

• Balanced teams win in March moreso than your 3 point, uptempo type teams so keep that in mind when filling out brackets. As they say you live by the 3 you die by the 3. If the matchup is there (i.e; if their opponent is a bad defensive team) then I'd say it's a good call but be careful of teams that are chuckers from the outside.

Despite looking better against an underachieving Eagles team, I still think the Bears are one of the worst teams in the NFL. I smell a blowout victory by the Lions this week and a division sweep.

Comment

• Can't wait for Niagara-Siena tonight. Take it back, Purple Eagles!
        Buffalo didn't suck this year, but they chose the wrong time to tank it. 18-5 at one point with a near win over UConn, it really looked promising. Still got a bye in the tourney, the MAC is once again muddled in mediocrity.
        Last edited by SuperMcGee; 03-09-2009, 04:26 PM.

Comment

• Does Illinois State have a shot at an at-large bid?

Thanks to Bone Krusher for the sig

Comment

• If Curry doesn't show up to play, Davidson gets blown out. So I'd say he has the most pressure to perform night in and night out than any other player in the country.

If Blair doesn't show up Fields and Young are elite players that can pick him up. If Hansbrough is off Lawson, Thompson, Ellington, Green, etc can pick up the slack. If Singler is off Scheyer, Henderson, Smith, etc are there. Who outside of Curry on Davidson is a threat to do anything? Lovedale? He's an average big man.

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperMcgee View Post
              Can't wait for Niagara-Siena tonight. Take it back, Purple Eagles!
              Buffalo didn't suck this year, but they chose the wrong time to tank it. Still got a bye in the tourney, the MAC is once again muddled in mediocrity.
              They split during the regular season with the home team wining each time. Should be a good one to watch tonight. Go Saints! ;)

Comment

• Originally posted by devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 View Post
                Does Illinois State have a shot at an at-large bid?
                No, No, and NO. Bad Non-Con SOS, weaker MVC, and bad losses to Indiana State. If they won either of the overtime games against Northern Iowa or beat Niagara they would have a much better argument. The Missouri Valley is a one bid league.

Thanks to BoneKrusher Credit and Rep to him for the sig.

Comment

Does Illinois State have a shot at an at-large bid?
                  Probably not. Weak OOC schedule really hurts them. Why they chose to play a cupcake OCC is beyond me. They knew going in they would either have to win the MVC Regular Season or take Arch Madness and they did neither.

I like ISU as a team but man, you can't schedule the type of season they did this year and expect the selection committee to be impressed with what they did this year.

Btw, Mariotti just said that Davidson should be in because of the fact they played Oklahoma, Purdue, Duke, and Butler. Since when is playing a tough schedule and losing each of those games criteria for getting in? I give Davidson props for scheduling the teams they did but they would get stomped on in the Tournament, they couldn't even win their postseason Tournament in a weak conference and you expect them to compete in the big dance? In ISU's case playing a weak schedule and going undefeated in OOC hurts them because they didn't take chances. But in Davidson's case they have no marquee wins this year, you cannot put them in. I love Curry but Davidson does not deserve to be in over the likes of FSU, Michigan, Minnesota, Arizona, Penn State, UF, South Carolina, Miami, BC, etc...They deserve to be in the NIT this year.

Comment

• Originally posted by dabears10 View Post
                    No, No, and NO. Bad Non-Con SOS, weaker MVC, and bad losses to Indiana State. If they won either of the overtime games against Northern Iowa or beat Niagara they would have a much better argument. The Missouri Valley is a one bid league.
                    Damn, if they only could have put in a basket or two in the last two minutes of overtime and the would have been in.

Comment

• Originally posted by sweetness34 View Post
                      Probably not. Weak OOC schedule really hurts them. Why they chose to play a cupcake OCC is beyond me. They knew going in they would either have to win the MVC Regular Season or take Arch Madness and they did neither.

I like ISU as a team but man, you can't schedule the type of season they did this year and expect the selection committee to be impressed with what they did this year.
                      Do you think that some of the non-cons they scheduled could have to do with ISU over achieving this year, and that they had scheduled opponents they felt that they would have favorable matchups with due to them feeling as if they were more of a mid pack team in the Valley?

Comment

• ISU fell in love with the 3 and that hurt them. They had no inside production from Sampay, the guys name who I can't spell, or Robinson.

Talent wise ISU should be in the Tournament, they are a big dance team that has the tools to make a run. They had to rely on Osiris dropping 30 foot bombs in the 2nd Half to come back. I thought Jank's game plan was dog **** especially when the 3's weren't falling. Virtually no attempt to establish a post game consistently and no penetration by the guards.

I was calling for full court press in the first half because I didn't think UNI's guards could handle it and I thought Jank waited to long to go to it. I also had a feeling when Eldridge started to go off that it might hurt them late in the game because he tends to get out of control with his shot selection (Champ's shot selection was horrid as well yesterday).

Comment

Do you think that some of the non-cons they scheduled could have to do with ISU over achieving this year, and that they had scheduled opponents they felt that they would have favorable matchups with due to them feeling as if they were more of a mid pack team in the Valley?
                          As weak as the Valley was this year it's still a tough conference to play in from game to game, especially on the road. I think the committee would have rewarded them had they taken some chances in OOC, even if they lost. Now I know that I just said Davidson losing to big time programs shouldn't get them in but they aren't a Tournament team, ISU is.

I thought ISU from the get go was a top tier team in the Valley this year because of what they brought back and the addition of Champ Oguchi personally and so did a lot of people I talked to who have ties to the program (we work with ISU's Athletic Program extensively). The worry was their OOC schedule and how it would be viewed because it was weak. And the worry was warranted because it's likely what is keeping them out of the Tournament. You can never say never but right now I'd say it's almost certain that ISU is not in. But it's not like they didn't have a chance to get in, they had UNI on the ropes and couldn't put them away.

Comment

• Originally posted by BrownsTown View Post
                            Davidson won't make the tourney. Deservedly so. Stephen Curry is such a chucker, he puts up so many shots...no wonder he leads the NCAA in scoring.
                            THANK YOU. Someone else sees it. Steph Curry hucks up every shot he gets its ridiculous. I think some of it is due that he had to play point this year so he not only had to be the floor general but had to create his own shot. Last year as a 2 guard he was much better.

Mississippi State BBall: 22-12 (9-7) SEC CHAMPS!
                            Jarvis Varnado: Best Defensive player in the SEC

Amazing sig by jkpigskin

Originally posted by Paul
                            I'm no scientist but a mixture of semen, blood and feces can't be good.
                            LOL props to Paul

Comment

• Originally posted by CroomDawgs View Post
                              THANK YOU. Someone else sees it. Steph Curry hucks up every shot he gets its ridiculous. I think some of it is due that he had to play point this year so he not only had to be the floor general but had to create his own shot. Last year as a 2 guard he was much better.
                              Really, he's an off the ball shooter, a good one but not spectacular. He's one of the most hot and cold players I've ever seen, it just so happens he was hot in the tourney last year. He just keeps shooting even when he's cold.

Comment

• Originally posted by princefielder28 View Post
                                Siena, VCU, St. Mary's, North Dakota State
                                Besides Siena i don't think any of those teams would get an at-large bid. Utah State could be up there too.

Mississippi State BBall: 22-12 (9-7) SEC CHAMPS!
                                Jarvis Varnado: Best Defensive player in the SEC

Amazing sig by jkpigskin

Originally posted by Paul
                                I'm no scientist but a mixture of semen, blood and feces can't be good.
                                LOL props to Paul

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information