No announcement yet.

College Basketball Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SOme pretty big games today. Cincinnati needs a win big time over DePaul and is only up by 2 at half. GTown and ND need to win the big east IMO to make it.

Hopefully Butler wins so Cleveland state doesn't steal a bid.

Mississippi State BBall: 22-12 (9-7) SEC CHAMPS!
    Jarvis Varnado: Best Defensive player in the SEC

Amazing sig by jkpigskin

Originally posted by Paul
    I'm no scientist but a mixture of semen, blood and feces can't be good.
    LOL props to Paul

Comment

• Originally posted by adschofield View Post
      WKU any good this year? They're playing in the Sun Belt Title Game tomorrow...
      They won the Sun Belt and beat louisville but I was at the game when they played us and they played horrible defense and couldn't guard the 3 to save their lives. They did do a decent job on Jarvis though but like I said it was bombs away for us

Amazing sig by jkpigskin

LOL props to Paul

Comment

• Hansbrough, Lawson, Henderson, McClinton, and TOney Douglas are All-ACC, with Hansbrough becoming the first ever the be a four time Unanimous Selection. He'll win the ACC POY, but i think it should be McClinton or Lawson.

Amazing sig by jkpigskin

LOL props to Paul

Comment

• My Boy Jarvis Varnado named Defensive player of the year in the SEC for the second year in a row, averaged 13 and nine and led the nation with 4.6 Blocks. Also first team SEC, and Dee Bost made All-SEC Frosh team

Kalin lucas Named Big 10 player of the year. Manny Harris, Evan Turner, Talor Battle, and JaJuan Johnson join him on the All Big 10 team.

Amazing sig by jkpigskin

LOL props to Paul

Comment

• Wow, DePaul doesn't win a conference game all year and now bursts Cincinnati's bubble. Will Walker is on fire

Amazing sig by jkpigskin

LOL props to Paul

Comment

• Originally posted by CroomDawgs View Post
              My Boy Jarvis Varnado named Defensive player of the year in the SEC for the second year in a row, averaged 13 and nine and led the nation with 4.6 Blocks. Also first team SEC, and Dee Bost made All-SEC Frosh team

Kalin lucas Named Big 10 player of the year. Manny Harris, Evan Turner, Talor Battle, and JaJuan Johnson join him on the All Big 10 team.
              I posted this last page, but here are the Big XI if anyone missed it

http://bigtennetwork.com/sports/mbas...ory_id=3189752

Comment

• VCU will be in the sweet sixteen and so will Dayton!
                my scent?...like making love to a lumberjack
                <TACKLE> i will ngata give you a bj raji
                <+BOE> Scott, with Burfict's character concerns (whether legit or not) you think Pioli would draft him. :D
                <+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
                Originally posted by Hermstheman83
                What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.

Comment

• Lol CroomDawgs you had a run of 5 or 6 consecutive posts there.

Huge upset for DePaul, nice for them to win a game against a conference opponent even though it wasn't regular season. Screws any chances Cincy had of going into the tourney, and a nice momentum game for DePaul heading into next year. Doubt they're going to beat the 8 seed (Providence?) though. Already an upset in the BE tourney and I'm sure there are more to come. Doubt Louisville wins it too Pitino doesn't really seem to care about the BE tournament much.

Comment

• Wow, Georgetown sealing their own fate right now.

Amazing sig by jkpigskin

LOL props to Paul

Comment

• Imagine if McClinton never left Siena, they wouldn't have lost a game this year.

I really hope Miami can make a deep run in the ACC tourney and get into the dance, McClinton deserves it for how he's carried that team for 2+ seasons now.

I really think if they can sneak in as a 10 or 11 they can make a nice little run. Definitely talented enough and has played ball with the best of the ACC all season, killing Wake and nearly defeating UNC and Duke.
                      "Compadres, it is imperative that we crush the freedom fighters before the start of the rainy season. And remember, a shiny new donkey for whomever brings me the head of Colonel Montoya."

Comment

• Am I the only person who absolutely despises Levance Fields?

Comment

• Ty Lawson named ACC POY and rightfully so. He did wonders for his stock IMO.

Amazing sig by jkpigskin

LOL props to Paul

Comment

• This is for adschofield and the rest of the KU guys to read and respond to;

I'm having a discussion with a couple KU fans about Self and Weber to which I would like to direct the discussion to guys as well.

My stance is that Weber is a better X's and O's guy than Self is. On the flip side Self is a coach that recruits in talent, develops them, and wins with them better than almost any coach in the country.

Now I'm not proclaiming that Self is a bad X's and O's coach at all. I think he is a pretty decent one but it is not his strength as a coach. His M.O. ever since he started to get his name out there amongst "elite coaches" was that he recruited like hell, stacked the roster, developed the talent, and won. His weaknesses were that he wasn't the greatest game coach and he struggled to adjust at times. Would you say that is a fair assessment of Self as a coach?

On the flip side Weber's M.O. has been he is one of the best X's and O's guys in the country, he is a very good game coach, and can adjust well. His weakness as a coach is his recruiting and his quick hook if a player does something wrong. Weber tends to pull a player (especially our younger guys) if they make a mistake on either side of the ball instead of letting them play and learn from their mistake. I feel that this deters their confidence when he does this and you all know and have heard about Weber's downfalls as a recruiter. Recently he has gotten a bunch of very good players to commit but it's fairly apparent that he is not near the recruiter that Self, Williams, Calipari, etc are. I personally believe that is an accurate assessment of Weber as a coach.

Both are very good coaches because they win, albeit with contrasting styles. So don't take this as a slam against Self as that is not what I am trying to do. I know I've been critical of Self and his coaching for a long time but that was mostly bitterness because of him leaving.

The KU fans I'm discussing with seem to think that because Self won a National Title, that "he struggles with in game coaching" label should go away which I disagree with. It's still not his strength although he has gotten better. Now if we compare the two coaches I think it's pretty fair to say that Weber is a better X's and O's coach while Self is a better recruiter and develops his talent very well (I'd say both coaches are even on their ability to develop guys, Weber did some amazing things with Head and Deron, while Self really did nice things with Arthur, Rush, Chalmers, etc).

Both of these coaches have their strengths (just like any other coach). I don't think Self could do what Weber did with the current Illinois squad, and I don't think Weber will ever get the consistent top tier guys that Self does and keep them playing at a high level. Both coaches have won every where they went which IMO makes them good coaches, just contrasting styles.

I'd just like to get the Jayhawk fan base on this board to respond to this because I think my assessment of these two guys is pretty spot on. Both have strengths, both have weaknesses. Weber is regarded as one of the better X's and O's guys in the game, Self is one of the best recruiters and developers in the game. That's not saying neither are bad in other areas but those are their strengths as coaches, would you agree?
                            Last edited by sweetness34; 03-10-2009, 05:48 PM.

Another sig courtesy of BoneKrusher

Originally posted by JBCX
                            Despite looking better against an underachieving Eagles team, I still think the Bears are one of the worst teams in the NFL. I smell a blowout victory by the Lions this week and a division sweep.

Comment

• I'd say that's a fantastic breakdown and I agree..Weber is a better X and O's guy, but Self is a better recruiter...However, I think Self has a much more proven track record than Weber at developing players...Correct me if I'm wrong, because I was still relatively young at the time, but didn't Deron and Head only spend 1 year with Weber? I thought Self predomimently developed those guys. And for the record, in the context of College Basketball, I'd much rather have a guy who can recruit rather than a guy who is great at X and O's since the talent level can be so wide. Just my two cents. It will be interesting to see what Weber can do with the next couple of recruiting classes as they look to be far superior to anything he's ever had.

On a side note, take a look at Memphis's class next year: Henry, Dobson, Cousins, and maybe Wall, as well as a lot of other great pieces. Scary.

Edit: What Jayhawk board do you go to?

sig by BoneKrusher

Originally posted by BuckNaked
                              Ok I'd almost rather spank my meat with sandpaper at this point.

Comment

• What happened to Cincinnati?

DePaul doesn't win a Big East game all year, but goes out and knocks the Bearcats out in round 1! Wow!

Thanks to Bone Krusher for the sig

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information