College Basketball Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jughead10 View Post
    Pitt's hardest opponent will be the officials. If the officials let them play and call a loose game, they will cruise to the final four.
    Good call. Depends a lot on the gameplan of opposing teams, too and their ability inside. If they can attack Blair and get him in trouble/off the floor, Pitt becomes damn vulnerable. That's basically the only reason they lost when they did, absolutely why they lost to 'Nova and I think the same thing happened against Providence as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by derza222 View Post
      Good call. Depends a lot on the gameplan of opposing teams, too and their ability inside. If they can attack Blair and get him in trouble/off the floor, Pitt becomes damn vulnerable. That's basically the only reason they lost when they did, absolutely why they lost to 'Nova and I think the same thing happened against Providence as well.
      Yup when Blair gets in foul trouble, they lose. Don't know how the officials work but Pitt better hope they get a Big 10 or SEC crew. They'll let them play a little more physically. In that bracket I have chalk reaching the elite 8. I like Duke's draw to that game. I like how they potentially match up with Nova. Although if it is Pitt vs. Duke, Duke's got no shot.

Comment

• Originally posted by derza222 View Post
        same thing happened against wvu

foul :30 sec in
        another one at the 16 min mark

cred 2 BoneKrusher

Comment

• so I'm still revamping my bracket more and more, but right now, here are my "surprise picks"

Arizona to the Sweet 16
          Washington to the Final 4
          Northern Iowa over Purdue
          UCLA to the Sweet 16
          Minnesota over Texas
          Temple over Arizona State
          Possibly WVU over Kansas [undecided]

Comment

• Big East is clearly the best conference in the nation but because Big East allows players to play man's basketball and play physical many of their teams are bounced early because the refs call ticky tack fouls that aren't called in Big East games and in all honestly shouldn't be called at all. That's why a team like Duke can beat Pitt because they will flop and get ridiculous charging calls even if they slide under a guy, yet at the same time they will press and hack you in the arm but nothing will be called. Nova and Marquette stand a great chance because of their guard play and because they aren't as physical as Pitt, Louisville, and UCONN. It's a shame Dom James got hurt because if he were still playing I would have Marquette in my final 4. He has been disappointing of sorts as after his frosh season which was his best I thought he was a lottery pick, but he was still their most reliable passer and ball handler. I still have them in my elite 8 though.
            Last edited by SeanTaylorRIP; 03-16-2009, 06:14 PM.

Sig By:The Dynasty

2 7 Round Mocks: April 20
            http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...50#post2577350
            Full NBA Mock Draft: Updated May 18
            http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...=1#post2602966

Comment

• Originally posted by SeanTaylorRIP View Post
              Big East is clearly the best conference in the nation but because Big East allows players to play man's basketball and play physical many of their teams are bounced early because the refs call ticky tack fouls that aren't called in Big East games and in all honestly shouldn't be called at all. That's why a team like Duke can beat Pitt because they will flop and get ridiculous charging calls even if they slide under a guy, yet at the same time they will press and hack you in the arm but nothing will be called. Nova and Marquette stand a great chance because of their guard play and because they aren't as physical as Pitt, Louisville, and UCONN. It's a shame Dom James got hurt because if he were still playing I would have Marquette in my final 4. He has been disappointing of sorts as after his frosh season which was his best I thought he was a lottery pick, but he was still their most reliable passer and ball handler. I still have them in my elite 8 though.
              Totally agree. There is no doubt in my mind Pitt is a top 3 team in the country and clearly the best in that bracket. But on any given night and officiating crew can take the game out of their hands. Despite that I still don't see how a team like Duke can beat them. And this is coming from a semi Duke fan. Any time a team shows Duke any toughness or grit, they fold. Duke's team is far too finesse this year. The Big East is clearly the best conference, I have no idea how the ACC got rated ahead of them from the RPI or whatever. I could easily see all 7 or at least 6 Big East teams reaching the Sweet 16.

Comment

• Originally posted by SeanTaylorRIP View Post
                AU will upset Villanova and crush everyone's bracket, that's my sleeper pick but don't follow me as I will probably be horribly wrong, but still AU has the big 3 and play style to beat Nova.
                James Harden is a PTP, but absolutely folded in the title game against USC. The shots he took were horrid and made bad decisions down the stretch. IDK if he can take over a game and that AU team is nothing without Harden.

Comment

• Originally posted by JeffSamardzijaIRISH View Post
                  James Harden is a PTP, but absolutely folded in the title game against USC. The shots he took were horrid and made bad decisions down the stretch. IDK if he can take over a game and that AU team is nothing without Harden.
                  I think he's talking about American

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain

Comment

• Originally posted by JeffSamardzijaIRISH View Post
                    Some of that goes to USC's good defense and the fact that we had his number this year. Him and pendergraph are nice, temple will not beat ASU, I'll tell you that now.

Comment

• Originally posted by princefielder28 View Post
                      I think he's talking about American
                      ... You're right, I read that and somehow registered it as Arizona State...

Comment

• Originally posted by BRAVEHEART View Post
                        Some of that goes to USC's good defense and the fact that we had his number this year. Him and pendergraph are nice, temple will not beat ASU, I'll tell you that now.
                        Temple is very good defensively. You underestimate them.

sig by BoneKrusher

Originally posted by BuckNaked
                        Ok I'd almost rather spank my meat with sandpaper at this point.

Comment

• Any predictions for breakout players of the tourney? Ala Stephen Curry last year. I'm going to go with a darkhorse in Dionte Christmas of Temple.

Comment

• Originally posted by art vandelay View Post
                            Any predictions for breakout players of the tourney? Ala Stephen Curry last year. I'm going to go with a darkhorse in Dionte Christmas of Temple.
                            If you're looking for real darkhorses both Corey Fisher and Corey Stokes on Villanova have a chance to make a real impact if they do well in the tourney. Probably more in individual games, though. So those are massive homer darkhorses. Some teams could struggle with Dante Cunningham as well, and obviously everybody knows about Scottie Reynolds but if he heats up watch out.

Frosh Terrence Jennings does some nice things inside for Louisville. Ebanks and Butler for WVU can both ball, Butler I think has a chance to do some great things in particular if they make a run. Demar Derozan has been playing better for USC as of late, a nice performance in the tourney really helps his NBA stock even though most are wary of him anyways. And another higher profile guy but Jerel McNeal of Marquette if they do some things, along with Heyward. Both can put it in the bucket.

Comment

• Christmas is definitely a possibility, also his name alone makes it so that people will remember him if he has a good game. Eric Maynor obviously broke out his Sophomore year when he slayed Duke out of the Tourney but if he can lead VCU to a couple of wins he can solidify himself as a late lottery pick and be given all sorts of nicknames related to being a Giant slayer. Toney Douglas could definitely make himself more of a household name although his draft prospects still don't look good, it's a shame he's a senior. Varnado has gotten much more attention lately but if Missi state can pull off the upset he could be the face of the first week of the tourney. Not a lot of people recognize the player and draft prospect that James Anderson is. Jeff Teague could also make himself a lottery lock with a big tourney. Also Devin Ebanks is a very undervalued pro prospect. Not used properly in the WVU system but is still extremely productive and has the physical tools to go along. Also Greivis Vasquez could declare for the draft with a couple of dominant performances like he's capable of.

Sig By:The Dynasty

2 7 Round Mocks: April 20
                              http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...50#post2577350
                              Full NBA Mock Draft: Updated May 18
                              http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...=1#post2602966

Comment

• Originally posted by art vandelay View Post
                                Any predictions for breakout players of the tourney? Ala Stephen Curry last year. I'm going to go with a darkhorse in Dionte Christmas of Temple.
                                Gonzaga's Austin Daye

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information