No announcement yet.

College Basketball Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I go to the Maryland opener on friday against Charleston Southern? I found a really cheap ticket on floor level baseline.

Comment

• Originally posted by jballa838 View Post
      UCLA (Not UW) Signs Josh Smith today.

Boo Josh Smith.
      No offense, but good. I like when UCLA is good. It just seems right.

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperKevin View Post
        Should I go to the Maryland opener on friday against Charleston Southern? I found a really cheap ticket on floor level baseline.
        I would say so if you can get that good seat cheap. They're going to probably be a pretty interesting team this year, seems like a lot of people have them borderline top 25 right now, and Vasquez is obviously a talented guy to watch. So they'll be an interesting team to get a feel for and you've got an NBA caliber player playing in the game as well, with a good cheap seat on top of it. I'd go for it.

Comment

• Originally posted by derza222 View Post
          I would say so if you can get that good seat cheap. They're going to probably be a pretty interesting team this year, seems like a lot of people have them borderline top 25 right now, and Vasquez is obviously a talented guy to watch. So they'll be an interesting team to get a feel for and you've got an NBA caliber player playing in the game as well, with a good cheap seat on top of it. I'd go for it.
          Stubhub wants to rape me on service and delivery charges though so it looks doubtful that I'm going

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperKevin View Post
            Stubhub wants to rape me on service and delivery charges though so it looks doubtful that I'm going
            Stubhub can be a real pain in the ass, but it's great sometimes. I found second row seats on the side for 40 apiece to Navy @ Seton Hall to go to with my girlfriend while I'm home for winter break since she goes there so it should be fun to do and I'm curious to see SHU this year anyway since I think they could surprise. But then other times they pull that stuff where you the listed price isn't nearly what you're going to end up paying. They really should just tell you what you're going to have to pay for service and shipping instead of listing the other prices which can really be deceptive.

Comment

• I will be a Duke fan for the next however many years Ryan Kelly goes there. Went to high school with him, it's pretty cool to watch a game and say that I saw that kid play in high school, I'm excited to see how he does this year.

I saw John Wall play in high school too, but only because we play Word of God most years. I have to say that it was the most impressive spectacle I've ever seen on a basketball court.

Comment

• Thomas Robinson...Remember that name

Comment

• I usually do a preview of my team, Illinois State, that no one will care about. Here it is.

The Redbirds this year will likely finish in top 4 of the Valley again. The leagues Preseason player of the year Osiris Eldridge will be leaned on more than ever. Averaging 14 and 6 last year O was the second leading scorer on the team. However, whenever someone needed to takeover it was Eldridge. Many of you may know this if you watched his unreal performance in the MVC Championship game last year on CBS.

Lloyd Phillips and Dinma Odiakosa are the two other returning starters. Lloyd Phillips left the team last year because of a miscommunication of his role on the team. He came to the squad from JC thinking he would be relied on as a scorer like his whole career. He has come back and has a whole new attitude. Phillips has seen the error in his ways and has actually been one the better teammates according to local articles. He has said that he regrets he ruined the senior years of Champ Oguchi and Emmanuel Holloway. This his senior year he looks to be a leader and probably the second leading scorer.

The Nigerian Dinma Odiakosa has improved every year at Illinois State and should be a dominant paint presence. His scoring and rebounding numbers have increased every year and expect him to consistently obtain double doubles this year.

The rest of the team will be young and volatile. Jackie Carmichael will be a freshman a year out of prep school and will likely be starting at the four. His athleticism and defense have been compared to former Redbird Anthony Slack. This position will be a question mark with Jeremy Robinson, Tony Lewis, and Kellen Thornton battling for time.

The other guard, ISU plays a 3 guard offense with likely playing Eldridge at the 3, may be Freshman Terry Johnson, Junior College Transfer Austin Hill, or Freshman Justin Clark. Clark has been nursing an ankle injury and will probably not start the year in the starting lineup. However, he is an explosive scorer and would move Eldridge to the 2 and provide better matchups defensively.

Rounding out the end of the bench will be Alex Rubin, Blake Mishler, Jon Ekey, Zeke Upshaw, and walk-on Matt Coates. Rubin may move into the guard rotation, especially early on, but has proven that he does not have the foot speed to defend many guards in the valley and last year lost confidence in his shot. He will work his butt off, but doesn't have the natural talent to be effective. Blake Mishler is a transfer from Middle Tennessee State and may find some early minutes, but indications are that he will not play that often. He is a big body and can be brought in to defend larger interior players. Freshman Jon Ekey lead the state of Missouri in blocks his Junior year and 2nd his senior year. He is a little light and will likely redshirt in order to bulk up to be more effective. He has good touch from the three point line and was a high school teammate of Justin Clark. Zeke Upshaw a freshman from Chicago has excellent athleticism. Some Redbird fans believe he will crack the starting lineup, however, I believe he will get redshirted if for no other reason than he would not get many minutes and would get many more once O graduates and the next year has more openings. Matt Coates is a senior and will hopefully dress this year. He is merely a body for practices and a good guy.

The schedule again does not line up for Illinois State. The administration and coach Jankovich have been maligned for not scheduling anyone of merit outside of conference play. It is the schools stance that they will not play money games and not play 2 for 1s. However, it does not benefit any good team to schedule an up and coming 'mid-major' for a 1 and 1. If they lose they will get chastised and if they win nothing is made of it. Thankfully one good team is listed in the non-conference schedule as the Valley and Mountain West Conference now have a challenge. The Redbirds will play at Utah for its only quality out of conference opponent.

It looks like once again the only way for Illinois State to enter the tourney is to win the tournament in which they lost in the finals in back to back years.

Thanks to BoneKrusher Credit and Rep to him for the sig.

Comment

• I'm thinking Syracuse very well might lose to Robert Morris tomorrow if they aren't careful.

Comment

• http://www.highschoolhoop.com/recrui...ors/#more-1820

I'd be fine with it panning out like this

Comment

• Ugh, NCAA Basketball 10 will have no online dynasty feature. And they haven't released a single feature from their dynasty mode yet and the game comes out in like 3 days.

Stupid. I wish 2k Sports still made College Hoops
                        "Compadres, it is imperative that we crush the freedom fighters before the start of the rainy season. And remember, a shiny new donkey for whomever brings me the head of Colonel Montoya."

Comment

• Originally posted by djp View Post
                          Ugh, NCAA Basketball 10 will have no online dynasty feature. And they haven't released a single feature from their dynasty mode yet and the game comes out in like 3 days.

Stupid. I wish 2k Sports still made College Hoops

But it has Gus Johnson so I'm ok with this.

Comment

• Self pretty much said we're out for Barnes

Comment

• Evan Turner = Jesus

Comment

• I know we're not getting Barnes yet somehow I'll still watch the announcement anyway

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information