College Basketball Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• THANK YOU BLUE JESUS

Patterson and Wall are so sick. Wall can knock that mid range shot down in his sleep. It's nice to have good complimentary players. Wall is way beyond his years, I will enjoy every game he's here that's for sure.

Definitely a sloppy game, the foul trouble really made us look bad on offense.

Big time win, can't believe this team is gutting it out so well late in games, that was my biggest fear going into this season.

So freaking happy, we're finally back.

Comment

• Originally posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
      I'd take all those coaches over him too, I never said he was the greatest coach in College ball right now, or elite for that matter, but I don't think you can deny he's a great coach.

Also talking about the guys he has to work with, that goes hand in hand with being a great coach, is being able to recruit. Still, I find it hard to believe that if you handed over those last two teams who went to the final four to just any old Joe that they would take them to the Final Four, you don't make it that far, with two different teams, just off of pure talent and no coaching.

Those teams didn't just get hot late either, both were well coached throughout the entire season, you act like those teams were the most talented teams ever in history. I can think of tons of teams who had more talent that never made it to the Final Four.
      Calipari is a very good motivator and always gets his guys to compete, that is one large part of his success. When you get guys with that kind of talent and they play hard for you it usually equates to good things. He communicates well with his kids, he coaches defense and he motivates the hell out of his players. He's also arguably the best recruiter in the nation, although he's a cheater (by the way, Bruce Pearl just got busted for recruiting violations, which is music to my ears).

He has done a good job with this Kentucky team but they haven't even touched their potential yet. Wall is the best freshman in the country, Patterson is one of the best front court players in the country, Bledsoe is a stud, Cousins/Orton are very talented bigs off the bench, Miller is a damn good talent, etc. The ability on that team is just ridiculous, especially when they can open up the game. The only way I see a team beating them is if they can slow it down and force a half-court game, limiting possessions.

UCONN got back in the game by slowing it down and not allowing Kentucky to get out on the break. The half-court has always been Calipari's weakness on offense and he needs to find a way to get his players to execute like they did tonight when the game was on the line. Although it was more of John Wall taking over than anything.

I consider Calipari to be a good coach, not a great one. I think he's a guy that can end up hurting a team when the game is on the line.

Another sig courtesy of BoneKrusher

Originally posted by JBCX
      Despite looking better against an underachieving Eagles team, I still think the Bears are one of the worst teams in the NFL. I smell a blowout victory by the Lions this week and a division sweep.

Comment

• So lame. I don't know what the hell the thought was putting Robinson on Wall at the end of the game. I know Robinson is probably the most athletic guy on the court but he's not quick enough to defend Wall. Walker had been doing a really nice job on Wall during the course of the game and has the speed to match Wall's quickness.

Sigh, tough loss but it was a good battle.
        (shameless self-promotion)
        Like video games? Subscribe to my Youtube Channel!
        https://www.youtube.com/user/Forenci

Comment

• Originally posted by Forenci View Post
          So lame. I don't know what the hell the thought was putting Robinson on Wall at the end of the game. I know Robinson is probably the most athletic guy on the court but he's not quick enough to defend Wall. Walker had been doing a really nice job on Wall during the course of the game and has the speed to match Wall's quickness.

Sigh, tough loss but it was a good battle.
          I don't know why Calhoun didn't try and get the ball out of Wall's hands. He had scored what, like 12 of their last 14 points and you know that Calipari is going to go to him. I would've at least tried to double Wall and make someone else beat them. Plus, how do you give the best finisher on the floor a free lane to the bucket?

Wall likely would've made a play anyway but at least make it difficult for him.

Another sig courtesy of BoneKrusher

Originally posted by JBCX
          Despite looking better against an underachieving Eagles team, I still think the Bears are one of the worst teams in the NFL. I smell a blowout victory by the Lions this week and a division sweep.

Comment

• Our half court offense has actually been pretty solid after the first few games. Started pounding the ball inside which has worked out great.

The problem today was the foul trouble. At one point the lineup was Stevenson, Harris, Harrelson, Bledsoe and Dodson. That's only two offensive players and Bledsoe is still figuring things out. That's when the shots were just awful.

The bigs need to watch the fouls (Patterson NEVER gets in foul trouble but Orton/Cousins always do) and Bledsoe also gets quick fouls. That's one of the things that sucks about a young team.

I also thought officiating was awful tonight for both sides.

I always wanted Patterson to be our POTY candidate this year for what he has done for this program but Wall is definitely the guy. Just blows me away that someone this good is actually on my team.

Comment

• Well it will be nice when we get Majok on the team. He might be one of our best players and he hasn't even played yet. Should give us some more size and a guy who can grab a rebound unlike Edwards, and a guy who can shoot/score unlike Alex Oriakhi.

Comment

• Patterson is becoming very solid on the perimeter. He's money from 3 this year. I'm glad too because he came back to get better on the perimeter and win some games when he didn't have to, he deserves this.

How does Wisconsin lose to Green Bay? That was disappointing.

Also, Harvard is good.

Comment

• Originally posted by PalmerToCJ View Post

Also, Harvard is good.

They did lose to Army.

Comment

• I'll chalk that up to flukey early season loss lol. They gave UCONN a game and beat Boston College at their place, for an Ivy league school this is top notch. They're at Georgetown next week.

Comment

The problem today was the foul trouble. At one point the lineup was Stevenson, Harris, Harrelson, Bledsoe and Dodson. That's only two offensive players and Bledsoe is still figuring things out. That's when the shots were just awful.
                      Thats actually more like 3. Bledsoe, Dodson and Harrelson. Harrelson is more known for his offensive capabilities than Defensive...unless of coarse you meant Harrelson and Dodson, with Bledsoe being more defensive...I wouldnt really say that either...Bledsoe is pretty "offensive"...especially when he drives to the basket with 2 men on him on a breakaway and instead of passing to the wide open man he takes it up and gets stuffed....

Comment

I'll chalk that up to flukey early season loss lol. They gave UCONN a game and beat Boston College at their place, for an Ivy league school this is top notch. They're at Georgetown next week.
                        Harvard? We've never played Harvard this year. We've played Hofstra and Colgate though.

Comment

• Originally posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
                          Recruiting talent is probably not even half of the battle when it comes to coaching. He takes young raw talent and coaches them up. You think any old coach could have a group this young playing this well so soon? This team is playing like a team of veterans.

Maybe those former teams did break NCAA rules like overlooking SAT scores or letting ineligble players play etc etc, but I fail to see how any of that makes him any less of a coach. He still had to coach those teams to the final four, he still recruited all those guys who went, and you just can't recruit well, sit back on your ass and let them play And 1 ball all the way to the final four.
                          Umm no, they're not playing "like a team of veterans." A team of veterans with this kind of talent doesn't need some home cooking to beat Miami (OH) at home or blow a lead against UNC. A team of veterans doesn't turn the ball over like they do.

Cal's system is glorified playground ball under the guise of the "Dribble Drive Motion." He basically just hands Wall the ball and let's the entire team do whatever the hell they want. There's little teaching involved.
                          Last edited by adschofield; 12-10-2009, 04:31 PM.

sig by BoneKrusher

Originally posted by BuckNaked
                          Ok I'd almost rather spank my meat with sandpaper at this point.

Comment

I'll chalk that up to flukey early season loss lol. They gave UCONN a game and beat Boston College at their place, for an Ivy league school this is top notch. They're at Georgetown next week.
                            Efff Harvard...If we have Rakim, we win that game by double digits.

sig by BoneKrusher

Originally posted by BuckNaked
                            Ok I'd almost rather spank my meat with sandpaper at this point.

Comment

• 2012 foward jalen robinson to wvu

cred 2 BoneKrusher

Comment

• Originally posted by Forenci View Post
                                Harvard? We've never played Harvard this year. We've played Hofstra and Colgate though.
                                http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=293410041

Originally posted by StripedWalrus View Post
                                Thats actually more like 3. Bledsoe, Dodson and Harrelson. Harrelson is more known for his offensive capabilities than Defensive...unless of coarse you meant Harrelson and Dodson, with Bledsoe being more defensive...I wouldnt really say that either...Bledsoe is pretty "offensive"...especially when he drives to the basket with 2 men on him on a breakaway and instead of passing to the wide open man he takes it up and gets stuffed....
                                Harrelson can shoot but he has no game in the post vs. solid bigs and really can't be relied on to generate offense. I do agree on Bledsoe though, he's very much playing like a freshman to this point. He'll be fine in the long run but he's a work in progress.

Originally posted by adschofield View Post
                                Umm no, they're not playing "like a team of veterans." A team of veterans with this kind of talent doesn't need some home cooking to beat Miami (OH) at home or blow a lead against UNC. A team of veterans doesn't turn the ball over like they do.

Cal's system is glorified playground ball under the guise of the "Dribble Drive Motion." He basically just hands Wall the ball and let's the entire team do whatever the hell they want. There's little teaching involved.
                                What home cooking vs. Miami?

We blew the lead vs. UNC because the best player in the nation was in the locker room, that will hurt any team.

We aren't really running much of the dribble drive this year, save a few plays last night (most notably the play Wall scored on with 30 seconds left) it's mostly a hi-low. The offense runs through Patterson/Cousins if points can't be scored on the fast break. Calipari always has one of the best defensive teams in the nation. Bruce Pearl is the prime example of jungle ball.

Sure, this team is young. They make mistakes but they finish games. To win these games early playing so rough in stretches really makes me optimistic that this team will make serious noise in March (and hopefully April).

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information