Clear All

• So how does the Big Ten shake out.

The Big Ten standings right now look like:

1. Michigan State (9-2)
    2. Wisconsin (8-3)
    3. Illinois (8-3)
    4. Purdue (7-3)
    5. Ohio State (7-3)

It looks wide open between the top 5, and in a way it is, but I'd rank them in the order listed below for favorites to get at least a share of the title.

Wisconsin: Already had all the tough conference games in the early part of conference play and made it through with only 3 losses. Those losses came against Michigan State, Ohio State, and Purdue all on the road. The Badgers won all three home matches giving them a split series for all. So with those out of the way Wisconsin has a cake walk of a schedule to finish the season. All they have to do is take care of business against teams they should beat anyway and they're looking pretty good for at least a share of the title. Hardest 3 games remaining: @Illinois, Illinois, @Minnesota

Michigan State Obviously being in first place right now they control their own destiny and take it if they win out. However they got Purdue right away on Tuesday which could give the Spartans their third loss in a row and put them right back with the rest of the pack. I'm not sure what Kalin Lucas' status is for that game, but if he's still out or even not 100% I definitely see Purdue winning. Even if they win they still have to play Ohio State and go to Purdue. I see them getting at least one loss out of those and assuming Wisconsin can take care of business against the lesser teams that'd get them a share of the title, but I think there's a good chance they drop two there. Hardest 3 games remaining: @Purdue, Purdue, Ohio State

Ohio State Only two really tough games remaining, but the timing isn't too nice. They have to go to Michigan state just three days after playing the Boilermakers. However they have already beaten Purdue on the road and have only one conference loss with Evan Turner. If the records were even I'd definitely put them ahead of Michigan State. Hardest 3 games remaining: @Ohio State, Michigan State, @Illinois

Purdue They still have a lot of work to do. They have to go on the road to Michigan State and to Ohio State within a 9 day span. They also have to face Michigan state for the second time on the 27th. With 3 losses already it'll be tough to get through that and still have a shot. One loss might keep them from having a chance, and two almost certainly will. Hardest 3 games remaining: @Michigan State, @Ohio State, Michigan State

Illinois: I almost didn't want to include them because like I said they have no chance, but I suppose I'll show why. They're pretty much the opposite of Wisconsin. They've had the easiest schedule in the Big Ten so far, and that is the only reason they are sitting at 8-3. They're just about done with those easy games now though. They probably have the hardest remaining schedule of any team in the nation. In their final 7 games they have to play Wisconsin twice, Ohio State twice, and Purdue. They should enjoy that third place standing now because Illinois is looking at a 12-6 to 10-8 conference record at the end of the year. Hardest 3 games remaining: @Wisconsin, @Ohio State, @Purdue

Basically Wisconsin has gotten its hard games out of the way while Michigan State, Purdue, and Ohio State will beat up on each other. For the next section I tried doing percentages, but there are still way to many possibilities, so I'm just going to list the possibilities with the best chances. I'm pretty much assuming that all games not against another contender is won, which of course as seen by tonight's game is not always the case.

Assuming 2 losses takes the conference: Champion: Michigan State

Assuming 3 losses takes the conference: One of Purdue and Ohio State will be eliminated after their match up. That is certain, there cannot be a 4 way tie with 3 losses. It's also extremely unlikely that everything plays out perfectly so that both Michigan State and the winner have 3 losses. Champion: 1. Wisconsin and Michigan State 2. Wisconsin 3. Wisconsin and Ohio State 4. Michigan State

Assuming 4 losses takes the conference: Well for this to happen Wisconsin would have dropped a game to a game it should have won and Michigan State would have lost 2. This is where the three way ties come in. Still impossible for the 4 way I believe. However a three way would seem very likely. Champion: 1. Wisconsin/Michigan State/Ohio State 2. Wisconsin/Michigan State/Purdue 3. Wisconsin

Now here are my predictions as to how the rest of the season will play out.

Illinois:
    @ WIS - L
    OSU - W
    @ PUR - L
    @ MICH - W
    MINN - W
    @ OSU - L
    WIS - L

11-7

Purdue
    @ MSU -W
    IOWA- W
    @ OSU -L
    ILL - W
    @ MINN - W
    MSU - L
    IND - W
    @ PSU - W

13-5

Ohio State
    IOWA - W
    @ IND - W
    @ ILL- L
    PUR - W
    @ MSU - L
    @ PSU - W
    MICH - W
    ILL - W

13-5

Wisconsin
    ILL - W
    IND - W
    @ MINN - L
    NW - W
    @ IND - W
    IOWA - W
    @ ILL - W

14-4

Michigan State
    PUR -L
    @ PSU - W
    @ IND - W
    OSU - W
    @ PUR - W
    PSU -W
    MICH -W

15-3

Big Ten Champion: Michigan State

Comment

• For anyone who cares, Oakland and Oral Roberts played one hell of a game last night. Best basketball game I've watched this season:

http://blog.mlive.com/golden_grizzli...efeat_oru.html
      R.I.P. L.E.F.
      "I am the one who knocks!"

Comment

• I have a feeling UNC will beat maryland today in college park, our bigs are way better then there bigs and all we have to worry about is grevis
        Originally posted by ATLDirtyBirds
        Coples is that dude.
        Go Amare. I Love Tayshaun Prince...

Orioles - Raiders - UNC - Nuggets/Wizards

Comment

• Originally posted by Xiomera View Post
          For anyone who cares, Oakland and Oral Roberts played one hell of a game last night. Best basketball game I've watched this season:

http://blog.mlive.com/golden_grizzli...efeat_oru.html
          Benson is a BEAST

Comment

• North Carolina just got raped. Zero chance at making the tournament. That is great.

Comment

• Evan Turner is awesome
              my scent?...like making love to a lumberjack
              <TACKLE> i will ngata give you a bj raji
              <+BOE> Scott, with Burfict's character concerns (whether legit or not) you think Pioli would draft him. :D
              <+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
              Originally posted by Hermstheman83
              What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.

Comment

• irritated me how the announcers were blaming it on losing 4 players to the NBA.last year we lost our entire starting lineup from the NC team and still got to the Sweet 16

Comment

• Originally posted by GB12 View Post
                  North Carolina just got raped. Zero chance at making the tournament. That is great.
                  Thats what happens when you lose 70 some percent of your scoring along with bad decision making.
                  Coples is that dude.

Comment

• Originally posted by thenewfeature06 View Post
                    Thats what happens when you lose 70 some percent of your scoring along with bad decision making.

You're North Carolina. You're not allowed to have rebuilding years.

Comment

It's ******* North Carolina like Yo said. They should still be able to make the tourney with just their recruiting class. Asshole presently at Kentucky does this **** every year with a new crop of guys just fine.

RIP TheManInBlack

Comment

• Originally posted by Brodeur View Post
                        It's ******* North Carolina like Yo said. They should still be able to make the tourney with just their recruiting class. Asshole presently at Kentucky does this **** every year with a new crop of guys just fine.
                        Yea well for some reason this year the chemistry on the team hasn't been as good as its been in other years like this and with our strengths being big men, we have nobody that can shoot a 3 for **** and as far as we are not aloud to have a rebuilding year, too late.
                        Coples is that dude.

Comment

• If Cuse isn't #1 soon, so help me

<+fenikz> "**** the Police, ride my fischstache bitches"

Comment

KU lost their entire starting lineup from the title team and Self still got them to the sweet 16.prehaps it's coaching

Comment

come on man get real, unless you give roy williams a minimum one or more lottery picks he can't do a whole lot, that team is very talented but plays like crap, get it together dude and realize that unless your coach recruits the ABSOLUTE best you arent going to get it on the court because he isnt that good of a coach, the talent level on that team and the product on the court is an absolute joke

Comment

• Originally posted by T-RICH49 View Post
                                Benson is a BEAST
                                Yes, yes he is. I want him on the Pistons, haha.
                                R.I.P. L.E.F.
                                "I am the one who knocks!"

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information