No announcement yet.

College Basketball Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yay we're back on the Bubble Watch! If we beat Purdue at home on Wednesday we have to be back in the bracket.

Comment

• Horrific year for us, most likely not even going to get in the tourney now, over the next 4 games we have FSU, @ Wake, Miami, and the finale @ Duke. Could realistically lose the next 4 games , so kind of just hoping we can make a run in the conference tournament. But without Davis I dont see it. :/ Much more excited about next year with the other class coming in, hopefully they live up to there rankings.
      Originally posted by ATLDirtyBirds
      Coples is that dude.
      Go Amare. I Love Tayshaun Prince...

Orioles - Raiders - UNC - Nuggets/Wizards

Comment

• Originally posted by yo123 View Post
        Yay we're back on the Bubble Watch! If we beat Purdue at home on Wednesday we have to be back in the bracket.
        Did you see my boy Rodney's dunk against Indiana? Sportscenter top 10 #3.. his Facebook wall is absolutely plastered with posts about it, haha.

I threw that kid alley oops at the Y all the time before he got big time.
        "Compadres, it is imperative that we crush the freedom fighters before the start of the rainy season. And remember, a shiny new donkey for whomever brings me the head of Colonel Montoya."

Comment

• I love me some Gophers, but unless we win all of our next four, we don't deserve to make the tourney.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.

Comment

• Originally posted by djp View Post
            Did you see my boy Rodney's dunk against Indiana? Sportscenter top 10 #3.. his Facebook wall is absolutely plastered with posts about it, haha.

I threw that kid alley oops at the Y all the time before he got big time.
            Yeah I did that was ridiculous, he has to have the best vertical in the Big 10.

Really needs to work on his overall game though, especially ball handling.

Comment

• On to actual basketball talk.. what I really don't understand is that Tubby Smith prides himself on playing the whole roster every game in order to keep everyone fresh, but we don't press nearly enough to take advantage of this. He's a brilliant defensive coach and I absolutely LOVE the idea of a trap defense in college basketball, but we just don't use it enough.

As far as offense goes, the same laughable, stale offense that has sadly become his trademark is going to cost us a chance at the tournament with a really good team. I just can't believe how poorly his offenses are designed. It's literally 3 guys on the wing and one single pick from a big and then drive and kick. No off ball screens, no pick and pop (not that we have any bigs that can make that shot anyways).. he should switch to a purely uptempo, fastbreak offense with the athletes that he is bringing in sans Colton Iverson.

We can still beat Purdue, and it wouldn't shock me if they did in fact catch them at home, but it just looks unlikely that we are going to make the tourney.
              "Compadres, it is imperative that we crush the freedom fighters before the start of the rainy season. And remember, a shiny new donkey for whomever brings me the head of Colonel Montoya."

Comment

• Originally posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
                I love me some Gophers, but unless we win all of our next four, we don't deserve to make the tourney.

....maybe. Tournament teams don't lose to Indiana or Northwestern. Or Michigan at home.

But if we beat Purdue I think we could afford to lose one more game this year. Probably Illinois, they're tough to beat at home. We'd have 4 wins over top 20 teams which is pretty impressive, and Big 10 teams over .500 in conference pretty much always make it.

Comment

• Originally posted by yo123 View Post
                  Yeah I did that was ridiculous, he has to have the best vertical in the Big 10.

Really needs to work on his overall game though, especially ball handling.
                  He looks 20 pounds heavier than he did as a senior in high school, so that's a positive. He's never been a truly great ball handler.. he's not going to be able to create his own shot consistently at the Big 10 level of competition. He needs to be used for what he is, a catch and shoot type guy and someone you utilize in a fastbreak offense to the fullest. He would be miraculous in a Phoenix Suns circa 2004 type offense.

He's already a pretty solid man to man defender and he is very nimble around the rim blocking shots and skying for rebounds.. should be a really good player by the time he's graduated.

Comment

• By the way, Rodney needs to make sure his grades are good before he puts a ton of time into his game next offseason.. he was terrible in school at Cooper and it was a struggle for him to get into Minnesota. Great kid, though. Just not very smart. His parents really support him and hound him if he doesn't study, so I don't see it as a huge concern.

Comment

• Originally posted by djp
                      no pick and pop (not that we have any bigs that can make that shot anyways)
                      Ralph Sampson seems to think he can. Ugh.

But yeah, even at Kentucky his half court offenses were never good. We're lucky that we have great athletes that can run the break or we would score about 55 points a game. We have way to many possessions that consist of passing back and forth 35 feet from the basket before someone decides it's time to do something (usually Westbrook) with 10 seconds left on the shot clock. Al Nolen being out hasn't helped this at all either.

Comment

• Tubby just doesn't let his teams run. Granted, you don't always have to run to have a good offense but there were certain teams that were better suited for it but he would literally be screaming 'slow it down' on the sidelines.

The absolute worst was watching Rondo in his offense. You just knew Rondo could go nuts but he always had to dribble it on the perimeter for 15-20 seconds then they'd heave one up. Then late in the game down 5-10 Rondo would be able to run and get 6 quick points. When Meeks was a freshman he would come it and pop a quick 3 early in the shot clock and Tubby would bench him.

Tubby is a good coach, you won't hear me say otherwise. He just gets stuck in his ways and it sometimes prevents his teams from reaching the next level. The frustration you all are feeling is the same that was here at Kentucky only we had seen 10 years of it and he was holding back better talent. I hope Minny makes it, Tubby is a good guy. I think they can win 3 of the last four (Purdue would obviously really help things) and win a game or two in the Big 10 and sneak in.

Comment

• KU will more then likely clinch a share at least of the Big 12 tonight with a win over OU

Comment

• Jerome Dyson plays so out of control.

Comment

• I love the 'we are only going to play if we're going against a ranked team' approach that UCONN has. If they keep playing their way in, I don't think anyone is going to want to see them come tournament time.

Comment

• Xavier Henry has progressed so much. If he plays like this all year, Kansas is unfuckwittable
                                my scent?...like making love to a lumberjack
                                <TACKLE> i will ngata give you a bj raji
                                <+BOE> Scott, with Burfict's character concerns (whether legit or not) you think Pioli would draft him. :D
                                <+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
                                Originally posted by Hermstheman83
                                What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information