No announcement yet.

Obesity

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TIP, congrats on recognizing the situation and doing what you needed to do to lose that kind of weight. For some people, it is relatively easy to do, but others have more genetic and metabolism issues that affect their ability to make this stuff happen. The fact is, if you make an effort with your diet and excercise, you can lose weight. However, it is not necessarily a guarantee that you can lose 70 lbs or more safely and keep it off. Some people just have problems there.

I don't expect everyone to be rail thin and have washboard abs, but if someone is complaining about their body image and do nothing to safely improve their situation (as in not becoming anorexic, etc.), I have no pity for them. My father is obese, and he tried Atkins and South Beach. He didn't have the will power to make this happen, so he went to a dietician, who got him into a special hospital weight loss program. He goes to the facility at the hospital 3x a week, and he has to submit a food journal. He is limited on calories and also has to do an exercise log. He and my mom walk 2 miles after dinner each night, weather permitting, and he also does a weight lifting program at the facility. He has been doing this program for 6 weeks and has lost 20 lbs. Granted, he needs to lose another 30 at least, but he feels good and he is into the diet 100%. I am proud of him.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

Comment

Price of food? Come on NJX that is a lame excuse... nothing is cheaper than starving.

Comment

Eating a lot makes you fat.

Comment

I just did something on this in personal fitness and like 5 or 10% of people that or obese is because of genetic reasons, but the rest are just fat.

That is correct comahan
          I ******* LOVE YOU DG
          <3 dg

Comment

Originally posted by draftguru151
            I just did something on this in personal fitness and like 5 or 10% of people that or obese is because of genetic reasons, but the rest are just fat.
            What's your reason?

Comment

Originally posted by D-Unit
              What's your reason?
              Just fat.

That is correct comahan
              I ******* LOVE YOU DG
              <3 dg

Comment

as a generic point, since two people made the argument: the price of food is half the equation. you're forgetting the time it takes to make the pasta, or the general ability to keep the family together long enough to feed everyone. again, time is a luxury now. people at a lower income tend to have FAR less free time than people at a high income level (we're talking in general). thus, mcdonalds isn't only the choice because they want to eat right now, but often because they have to eat right now because there just isn't any other choice.

then, further, picture the single mother who's working 2-3 jobs. it's unlikely she's at home in time to cook for her children when they get off of school, and it's likely that she won't be there to make dinner. one could argue that she should have taught her children better, but then, she's not really around to. either way, they're going to eat whatever they can, and it will often be fast food (because, unless they're in high school, it's unlikely they're prepared to cook anything that isn't spelled toast). before college, it's likely they would be obese or that they would be on the road to it based on poor eating habits. it's not laziness, it's the complete lack of ability to change their situation earlier in life. if they suddenly found themselves able to work shorter hours, they could probably turn themselves around with ease. on the other hand, if they found themselves working more than one job and starting too early and finish too late to spend an additional hour working out, they're going to have no chance at losing that weight.

i've spent the last year dropping something close to 50 pounds. but i'm not going to lie to myself and say i could've done it without the free time my job provides me.

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Bastard
                  I can't stop eating. I eat because I'm unhappy, and I'm unhappy because I eat. It's a vicious cycle. Now, if you'll excuse me, there's someone I'd like to get in touch with and forgive... myself.
                  [Farts]
                  That pretty much sums up my opinion that fat people are fat because they eat too much and fart a lot and are stupid and they don't eat healthily and they say and to many times in a sentance.

Comment

njx slimmed down. 8)

What do you suggest, now that footballs over I'm trying to lose somthing around 20 pounds?

That is correct comahan
                    I ******* LOVE YOU DG
                    <3 dg

Comment

Genetics is not the reason for obesity. Check this thread out. This is all you need to know about why America is obese.

http://nfldraftcountdown.com/forum/v...ic.php?t=30107

Oldie but a goodie.

Comment

njx slimmed down. 8)

What do you suggest, now that footballs over I'm trying to lose somthing around 20 pounds?
                        Anorexia wouldn't hurt. Its easy to lose that weight if all you drink is water and you eat nothing. It really helps your metabolism

Comment

just an addendum: i'm absolutely not saying that it never has anything to do with someone just being lazy and eating poorly by choice. the CDC admits as much.

what i am saying is that for a high school kid (or really, most 1st and 2nd year college students) to paint a broad section of the population (at least 20% of every state but colorado, vermont, connecticut and hawaii) as being lazy without bothering to think about the implications of the problem and the potential solutions is, for lack of better words: short-sighted, close-minded and relatively stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by nobodyinparticular
                            Genetics is not the reason for obesity. Check this thread out. This is all you need to know about why America is obese.

That is correct comahan
                            I ******* LOVE YOU DG
                            <3 dg

Comment

Originally posted by nobodyinparticular

Comment

njx slimmed down. 8)

i started running something around 4 to 5 miles per day (building up slowly). i run every single day. i also try to pick and choose my meals now, to ensure i'm getting vegetables and fruit at least once per day. i've also completely cut extra sugar out of my diet, to the point that drinking a single soda gives me an absolutely awful stomach ache. i haven't had fast food more than once in the last 3 years.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information