Obesity

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Paranoidmoonduck

Actually thats not true... Its still in debate.
    It is fact that your brains intelligence potential is absolutely decided before you are born. How/if you fufill that potential has a lot to do with the life you have as a kid.
    That is false.

Some studies find the heritability of IQ around 0.5 but the studies show ranges from 0.4 to 0.8;[5] that is, depending on the study, a little less than half to substantially more than half of the variation in IQ among the children studied was due to variation in their genes. The remainder was thus due to environmental variation and measurement error. A heritability in the range of 0.4 to 0.8 implies that IQ is "substantially" heritable. Studies with adults show that they have a higher heritability of IQ than children do and that heritability could be as high as 0.8.

Comment

Intelligence is not predetermined, the crappy eating habits I believe are not genetic, good parenting and discilpline can change that easily

Props to Darnik

Originally posted by CutlerChris
      Why couldn't Helen Keller drive?

She was a woman.
      ^^^^^^
      OMFG LMAO

Comment

Originally posted by Moses
        That statement is completely off-base in my opinion. There is absolutely no evidence that proves that genetics are what determines the decisions you make.
        Wait, did I miss something? Genetics are a major factor the initial development of your brain pre-birth. Through this, doctors are now able to tell parents the basic personality traits of their children before they are even born. And if you don't think the way your brain wires itself has anything to do with the decision you make, then I'm not quite sure what to say.

That is false.
        You just posted a study saying what I said. Like I said above, genetics play a major role in our brains initial development, and in that is determined the potential of children. Smart parents are more likely to give birth to smart children, and vice-versa. A childs upbringing decides how much of that potential they fufill (which would be their IQ level).

...crappy eating habits I believe are not genetic, good parenting and discilpline can change that easily
        Why would addiction be a genetic transfered trait and a subconcious urge to eat lots of food not be? Of course an upbringing can change things. But some people are born without the odds already stacked against them genetically regarding many many things.

Let's make something clear. I'm not saying that fat people aren't responsible for their weight. They absolutely are. I'm saying that refering to genetics simply as how fast your metabolism goes is inherently wrong. The basic set of tools we have to work with from the moment we are born is entirely determined by what genetic traits we get from our parents. These traits are modified by our environments until our brain stop developing (somewhere around age 25, and your personality isn't supposed to set until 30), but not everyone starts with the same tool set. That is the only point I'm trying to make.

Comment

i find the "they're just lazy." statements really funny.

in all honesty, how many of you are even qualified to have this argument? how many of you have studied sociology or anthropology to even begin to have the faintest idea what you're talking about? the fact that you're 14-18 and are growing up in a middle class to upper middle class family immediately disqualifies your opinion, because frankly, you've got absolutely no idea what you're talking about. to discount genetics as a whole, simply because, as moonduck has pointed out around 743 times, you don't understand what "genetics" means is moronic. to disqualify economic and social factors simply because you don't like them is borderline idiotic.

hey TIP, let's start with you. how is a poor single mother supposed to have any time to impart good eating habits on children she rarely sees? or to have the time to prepare better food, even assuming she could afford it? i'm curious, is she just lazy? should she get off her lazy butt at 3am to prepare a full day's worth of meals for her children before she goes to work three jobs? are you going to volunteer to help her with that? maybe you'd like to point to a specific study that shows that gene types have nothing to do with body type.

it's just entertaining to me that the people advocating the laziness argument are attempting to prove it by demonstrating it, in not even really attempting to make any arguments whatsoever, thinking a generic statement will somehow count as "fact".

Comment

Originally posted by snuff
            Originally posted by Paranoidmoonduck

Actually thats not true... Its still in debate.
            It is fact that your brains intelligence potential is absolutely decided before you are born. How/if you fufill that potential has a lot to do with the life you have as a kid.
            That is false.

Some studies find the heritability of IQ around 0.5 but the studies show ranges from 0.4 to 0.8;[5] that is, depending on the study, a little less than half to substantially more than half of the variation in IQ among the children studied was due to variation in their genes. The remainder was thus due to environmental variation and measurement error. A heritability in the range of 0.4 to 0.8 implies that IQ is "substantially" heritable. Studies with adults show that they have a higher heritability of IQ than children do and that heritability could be as high as 0.8.
            keep in mind also that IQ is a BS test of intelligence. i'm not inclined to buy that it really has any statiscial merit, moreso when it's been consistently shown to give favor to certain cultural subsets.

Comment

This is completley Bogus... What people call genetic obesity, simply means they have addictive personalities, and cannot stop stuffing their gob, just like alcoholics have trouble with drinking, and junkies with scag. Sure, some people are more predisposed to become addicted, but that doesn't mean it's genetic and cannot be helped.

However, living an idiotic P.C. society that won't tackle these issues because it might offend people, we tend to accept it. In my eyes, an obese person is just as bad as junkie, or an alcoholic (morally, not in so far as being a danger to society, of course).

Saying Obesity is genetic is a ridiculous phalacy, and if you need any proof, look back at pictures of Auschwitz. Now this may seem like a horrible image, but it proves a point, it's eating excesively that makes you fat.

Comment

Originally posted by tom
                However, living an idiotic P.C. society that won't tackle these issues because it might offend people, we tend to accept it. In my eyes, an obese person is just as bad as junkie, or an alcoholic (morally, not in so far as being a danger to society, of course).
                it's interesting that you would bring up alcoholism in a self-restraint post, when it's been shown to run in families.

Comment

Originally posted by njx9
                  Originally posted by tom
                  it's interesting that you would bring up alcoholism in a self-restraint post, when it's been shown to run in families.
                  What has been shown to run in families is the fact that people are prone to have addictive personalities. That is certainly genetic, but there's a diffrence between having an addictive personality, and being either an alcoholic, obese, or a junkie. I have two brothers, and we come from a long line of alcoholics. One of them is a recovered alcoholic and doesn't drink at all. If he can do it, then an obese person can stop eating. Eating is an addiction, and although it's hard, you can quit.

Comment

Originally posted by tom
                    Originally posted by njx9
                    Originally posted by tom
                    What has been shown to run in families is the fact that people are prone to have addictive personalities. That is certainly genetic, but there's a diffrence between having an addictive personality, and being either an alcoholic, obese, or a junkie. I have two brothers, and we come from a long line of alcoholics. One of them is a recovered alcoholic and doesn't drink at all. If he can do it, then an obese person can stop eating. Eating is an addiction, and although it's hard, you can quit.
                    if we're ignoring economic conditions, then yes, i think most people could effect small changes. but also keep in mind that, at a certain point, exercise becomes nearly impossible (due to stress on joints, tendons and ligaments). so america may just be hitting the downstroke before things start to equalize out. *shrug* almost everything in nature finds equilibrium, and given how unhealthy obesity is, it's something that could potentially be selected out several generations down the line.

but i still strenuously object to all obese people being labelled simply "lazy" or "stupid" or whatever other terms have been tossed around this thread, simply because a fair number of people here aren't educated enough to have anything of value to add.

Comment

Working...
                    X

Debug Information