Obesity

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obesity

Ok...In my Human Health class today...we had a discussion on Obesity...and someone said its a genetic disease...which sounds ludacrous to me. Ok, there may be factors to lead it, slow metabolism, family history...but saying your are obese because of family genes seems absurd. Genes do not make you want to gorge yourself and not workout, that's called self-discipline, a skill you develop...It's just being quite a bother to me and I wanted to hear some of your opinions on this issue

Props to Darnik

Originally posted by CutlerChris
    Why couldn't Helen Keller drive?

She was a woman.
    ^^^^^^
    OMFG LMAO

Ten bucks says that person had just watched the South Park Episode "Fat Camp" ten minutes before class.

Comment

Pretty sure self discipline, intelligence, and other similar factors could be genetics, although no conclusive evidence has been shown yet, so I will go with yes.

Comment

well genetics can be one of the factors along with other things.

http://www.webmd.com/hw/weight_control/aa50905.asp

Comment

Self discipline is genetic I believe.

Comment

Originally posted by snuff
            Pretty sure self discipline, intelligence, and other similar factors could be genetics, although no conclusive evidence has been shown yet, so I will go with yes.
            I disagree, I think that obesity really is only determined on your exercise and the way you are brought up...All the studies that say parents who are obese...there children are 3 times as likely to be obese...can be answered simply...the parents eating patterns picked up by the children. If the parents are obese, and east nonstop...what will the children do? Follow their parents example...but if you have an obese parent, who starts to eat healthier...the child will most likely follow. That is not genetics to me, thats parenting...Teaching self discipline, good eating and exercise to me falls on the shoulder of the parents to teach the children...I can't see how that is something genetic.

Props to Darnik

She was a woman.
            ^^^^^^
            OMFG LMAO

Comment

Well if self discipline parallels to intelligence and intelligence parallels to genetics then I would say its a genetic problem.

Comment

no way, maybe in some extream cases, but people just need to learn to exercise and eat right.

What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
                they get smoked.

2010-2011 Super Bowl Champions
                Hint:Not the Bears.

Comment

Well if self discipline parallels to intelligence and intelligence parallels to genetics then I would say its a genetic problem.
                  That is a good point, but you can be intelligent and weak minded individual. Having no self-esteem or will power. Which is also a key in self discipline

Props to Darnik

She was a woman.
                  ^^^^^^
                  OMFG LMAO

Comment

Originally posted by TitleTown088
                    no way, maybe in some extream cases, but people just need to learn to exercise and eat right.
                    I eat what ever I want and haven't exercised since this summer, are you going to say genetics has no role in it when I weigh 160 and other weigh 200+ that exercise daily?

Comment

I eat what ever I want and haven't exercised since this summer, are you going to say genetics has no role in it when I weigh 160 and other weigh 200+ that exercise daily?
                      IT has some impact , but almost anyone can be fit if they want to, i guess that is what i am trying to say.

What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
                      they get smoked.

2010-2011 Super Bowl Champions
                      Hint:Not the Bears.

Comment

Originally posted by TIP
                        That is a good point, but you can be intelligent and weak minded individual. Having no self-esteem or will power. Which is also a key in self discipline
                        Yes, these are general correlations not laws... I think in most cases though you will find that there is a correlation between self-esteem and will power to intelligence, similar to you will find a correlation between intelligence and prisoners, yes there will be a few stray ones, but most are below average intelligence.

Comment

you can have a faster metabolism, but that makes you more prone to it. Not the same thing as a genetically inherit disease. You can inherit diabetes, but you are not born obese, you are born with red hair, blue eyes, or with diabetes, genetic traits that are passed on, obesity is not

Props to Darnik

She was a woman.
                          ^^^^^^
                          OMFG LMAO

Comment

Personally I would say obesity is not a genetic disorder, but there are some genetics that enable the growth of obesity in today's society. I think if you look at the past there is little obesity today, so I think that is a telling fact that is more based on environment, and I think you would have a hard time putting genetics as a huge factor of it.

Comment

Personally I would say obesity is not a genetic disorder, but there are some genetics that enable the growth of obesity in today's society. I think if you look at the past there is little obesity today, so I think that is a telling fact that is more based on environment, and I think you would have a hard time putting genetics as a huge factor of it.
                              Some people are genetically predisposed towards obesity. Like someone previously said though, having the self discipline to eat right and exercise can fight it off somewhat. In some cases though, even with good discipline, it can still be a struggle because of the genetics. So yes, genetics do play a roll.......in some people. Obesity is a huge problem in this country though and probably the majority of obese people are that way because of poor eating habits and lack of exercise, not genetics. The lack of education dealing with nutrition and health is the biggest problem because alot of people just don't know how to be healthy and they're too lazy to teach themselves. We are a fast food nation. :?
                              Originally posted by njx9
                              i invite all of you to spam the board with moronic topics that aren't even vaguely entertaining. please.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information