Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advice NEEDED!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Advice NEEDED!!

    i trust you guys so lemme kno...


    this past week our community in Maine, just lost two great people from the same family. 85% of staff were out today to go to the funeral of Craig Turgeon who had cancer for 20 years, and his dad, John, died of carbon monoxide poisoning from sleeping above a generator in the NE floods.....some side notes. Steve Turgeon Uncle of Craig, Twin Brother Of John, is our MAIN guidance counselor, and his sister is another guidance counselor

    so basically. Craig started this Maine Childrens Cancer Program, who this year my HS raised over 4,000 dollars in pennys and dollars and stuff.... well, a vast majority of that money was raised by my science class teacher, and our classes combined. when he heard we raised that much, craig came in, and talked to us, answered questions and told his story. he was an upbeat guy and whatnot really good guy.....

    i am considering writing a memorial peice for the family in our school magazine. (which i am the sports editor, and special peices writer)
    i dont know if its a good call considering the impacts that the deaths have had on our school and what not. its a VERY touchy subject, but i feel its a medium risk, high reward for a deserving story.

    if i did it on how great these people were, and how strong the family is, and how much they meant, to us as a school and what i learned from actually meeting him. is it a safe idea?

    would i be risking some serious frowning upon by my school or if done carefully, do a great peice and lift some spirits for a sad HS at this time.... any advice wouldbe great, cuz im really thinking about this, but its hard to decide on whether its a good idea or not


    thanks guys
    Ricky Santos-UNH PRIDE! GO WILDCATS!

  • #2
    i think its a good idea if you do it tastefully and put things in a positive light.....no one is going to get that mad at a HS kid for writing a memorial piece

    Comment


    • #3
      right but, idk, maybe they dont wanna hear it from someone who REALLY doesnt know the family. im sure it could make a lot of people happy that someone recognized them on a big stage, but idk if its safe..
      Ricky Santos-UNH PRIDE! GO WILDCATS!

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Santos-Stanton47 View Post
        right but, idk, maybe they dont wanna hear it from someone who REALLY doesnt know the family. im sure it could make a lot of people happy that someone recognized them on a big stage, but idk if its safe..
        is there another writer on your staff that knew the family better

        Comment


        • #5
          no, they all suck...im not being cocky. but umm, pretty much all geeks, and wierdos


          thats one of the reasons why i was HANDED my sports editor job, i can basically do what i want, she wont tell me no on ANY of my articles, but idk if its too sensitive
          Ricky Santos-UNH PRIDE! GO WILDCATS!

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Santos-Stanton47 View Post
            no, they all suck...im not being cocky. but umm, pretty much all geeks, and wierdos


            thats one of the reasons why i was HANDED my sports editor job, i can basically do what i want, she wont tell me no on ANY of my articles, but idk if its too sensitive
            talk to your parents they know better than me

            Comment


            • #7
              As long as you acknowledge the people with respect and show the quality characteristics that made these individuals who they were, it is a terrific idea to write about two members of a family that will be dearly missed. In the end do what you feel is right though and not what others may think of you for doing it.


              Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by princefielder28 View Post
                As long as you acknowledge the people with respect and show the quality characteristics that made these individuals who they were, it is a terrific idea to write about two members of a family that will be dearly missed. In the end do what you feel is right though and not what others may think of you for doing it.
                Well put. That is about what I would have said.
                Nanna Bryndís Hilmarsdóttir is a goddess

                Rest in Peace, themaninblack

                Comment


                • #9
                  I would get angry at you. If I understood you correctly and you barely knew the guy, the paper is going to be full of lies and bull****.

                  Sig by rainbeaukid2
                  Originally posted by yodachu
                  Everyone pwns the Rams.

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X

                  Debug Information