Computer People. . .Help!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer People. . .Help!

Okay, its time for the annual, "I'm going to college, what computer should i get" thread.

Let me start my saying, my computer savy is, well, not very savy. So if you could dumb it down just a tad, it would be appreciated.

I need to do all the usual school work stuff (word processing, spreadsheets maybe, internet etc..), but i also use my computer as a large source of media/entertainment. I have an ipod, digital camera, and video camera that i need to be able to hook up and be able to use video editing software....so i think i need something with some memory and guts. I am also kind of impatient and hate when **** doesn't work right (like my current Dell). Oh, and like i said and lacking computer savy, so ease to use is also a consideration.

I here a lot about Macs and i like what i hear, so i would like to explore that option as well.

My price range is anything below 1400-1600 i guess.

So basically, should i get a Mac or PC....and what kind? (laptops)

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Freddy G; 04-27-2007, 01:23 PM.

DChess resizing inc.

Reality is relative.

We don't give a DAMN for the whole state of Michigan

I have a Dell Latitude D620 Laptop and I love it.
    R.I.P. L.E.F.
    "I am the one who knocks!"

Comment

I have an ASUS S5N, the lighest notebook on the market.

I carry it everywhere so I wanted an ultraportable one.

You really need to say to yourself what do you really need this laptop for?

Dell will get you good customer service, if your not much a computer person, this is a huge plus, and they are always reasonbly priced, and you can find good value.

If you want a gaming notebook (which I don't suggest) then Acer is probably the company you want to with. I went with ASUS, because I had experience with them before and I knew what I was getting.

I would stay away from Alienware because they over priced and away from Toshiba, e-Computers (or whatever that name is) and pretty much any other 'bargain' laptop.

I always suggest buying things online, you get the better price and usually the better computer then the stuff they tend to show in stores.

Good luck

Comment

Get a Dell. I have one, and it works great.

http://minnesotasportstwentyfourseven.blogspot.com/

Comment

I thought about posting a Mac or a picture of a cat doing something adorable, but instead I'll actually help you. Unless you plan on building your PC yourself (which doesn't sound possible for you), get a windows laptop or a mac desktop/laptop. Really. You could get a GREAT mac for the price range you're talking about, not just a bare bones model.

Comment

Do you want a laptop or desktop?

Comment

"(laptops)"

DChess resizing inc.

Reality is relative.

Comment

For what you need to use it for you can get one for a lot cheaper than $1600.

Comment

Dell SB has Inspiron E1501 for $549. The system is available both with Windows Vista Home Basic or Windows XP Home as an option.

Specs:

* Turion 64 X2 Dual-Core Mobile Technology TL-50
                  * Genuine Windows Vista Home Basic Or Windows XP Home
                  * 15.4 inch Wide Screen XGA Display
                  * 1GB DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz, 2 Dimm
                  * 80GB Hard Drive
                  * 8X CD/DVD Burner (DVD+/-RW) with double-layer DVD+R write capability
                  * ATI RADEON Xpress1150 256MB HyperMemory (Integrated)
                  * Dell Wireless 1390 802.11g Mini Card (54Mbps)
                  * Integrated Audio
                  * 29 WHr 4-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery
                  * 1 Yr Ltd Warranty, 1 Yr Mail-in Service, and 1 Yr Tech Support
                  * Integrated 10/100 Network Card and Modem

Good upgrades to consider :

* 15.4 inch Wide Screen XGA Display with TrueLife(glossy) [add $10]
                  * 85 WHr 9-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery [add $50]

Prob one of the best deals out right now.

Comment

Thanks for the imput guys, but i have couple more questions.

Did i miss something, or is the only way you can get a 15+ in screen on a Mac laptop is to get the MacBook Pro? The regular MacBook is only 13 in. I ask because i see people with Macs that are bigger and look very different than the ones on the website.

Also, i have a Dell right now (3 years old) and i just don't like it. I am not sure of the specs, but it is slow and is always having these little "glitches" where a program won't respond or the stupid error report thing comes up....its annoying.

DChess resizing inc.

Reality is relative.

Comment

Originally posted by njx9
                      get a mac. *gasp* yup, i said it and meant it.
                      i second that post as it is very logical

Comment

As far as Dell laptops go, we have 5 that i have to service at work along with the one i'm currently typing on. The biggest source of system slowdown is a weird svchost.exe problem with automatic windows updates. if you have that turned on, PM me and I'll walk you through how to take it off and it should speed up your PC quite a bit. You HAVE to make sure you download the latest updates at least once a month though and I can explain that as well if you need. I would check out some deals at www.newegg.com and www.tigerdirect.com as a starting point. You can get your bearings on what features cost what. Again, if you have specific questions, feel free to PM me and I'll try to explain the best I can.

Originally posted by Morgan Freeman
                        Titty sprinkles

Comment

You're going to OSU aren't you? Most colleges/universities have say, a partnership with someone where you can get computers at a cheaper rate. It should be on OSU's website prolly in networking or something. You can prolly call and ask them.

When I almost went to University of Findlay they had Apples at lower than regular cost...

I would recommend building your own or see if a computer shop can build one for you...It seems the best deal to get parts from Newegg [or if you know someone at Best Buy that will use their store discount to help you 8-) ] and have them put it together for you...

Let's get some activity going in the Cleveland sub-forum!

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy View Post
                            i second that post as it is very logical
                            thirded. macs die less.
                            minus screens. but that's the issue with laptops. invest in a good monitor.
                            http://i38.tinypic.com/2aj2s7t.jpg
                            For a good time call (303) 499-7111.whitspacsig by steel man

United: "I actually went to the college I root for"

Comment

American is a good store for computers. I got my laptop for $480 after rebates. It's an 80GB with a 15.4" screen. I also got a free router, laptop carrying bag, and all in one printer/scanner/copier.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information