Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crazy interpretation of the draft

http://sport.guardian.co.uk/columnis...074009,00.html

Here is a English journalists first time interpretation of the draft. A lot of controversial and opinionated stuff in here, but funny all the same.
    Originally posted by nobodyinparticular
    #1--Russell I can't be too disappointed in this pick because he is, realistically, a huge upgrade (in the same way that the Great Wall of China would be a huge upgrade over the fence in my backyard) over Andrew Walter.

I dont think he understands enough about the sport to comment on it that way.

And in particular, if he did understand the sport, he wouldnt make that ridiculous slave trade analogy. Football has a good mix of races, theres not really any racial inuendo in analyzing players, or the # of players being a certain race. Thats not an accurate statement. Maybe for quarterback, but not any other position.

Comment

Fitting thread title. That dude is crazy as ****.

Comment

I just scrolled to the bottom where he was making fun of people's names. What an idiot.

Comment

Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post

And in particular, if he did understand the sport, he wouldnt make that ridiculous slave trade analogy. Football has a good mix of races, theres not really any racial inuendo in analyzing players, or the # of players being a certain race. Thats not an accurate statement. Maybe for quarterback, but not any other position.
          And the running backs too. I don't know if there is any White RB in the NFL.

Comment

what a ***dam fool.... like seriously

Sig By Diehardvikingfan

Comment

by mix of races do you just mean black and white?

Comment

Originally posted by soybean View Post
                ...and tony gonzalez...

Comment

People will do anything to cause controversy, and you can really see his desperation in that article.

Comment

Originally posted by soybean View Post
                    We have blacks, whites, mixed races, africans, native hawaiians, and latinos. I don't think that its a very segregated sport. Of course it could use some more Asians, and desis, hopefully one day it will get there.

I also thought the guy was a jerk for making fun of names. What a jerk. What makes his name anymore "normal" than someone elses? I hate that.

Comment

On the subject of race- I think it's sad to see people thinking they're doing good by demanding that every profession be equally populated by each race. That is racism in itself. They don't realize that all they're doing is emboldening any lines that already exist. You don't fight blatant racism with blind racism. Shoot, shouldn't we all have figured out by now that we all belong to the same race? Many of us have more mix in us than a bloody mary anyway. The collective mindset on this subject is misguided and ignorant.

Comment

Originally posted by Xonraider View Post
                        And the running backs too. I don't know if there is any White RB in the NFL.
                        I don't think however that a RB would be knocked on in any way for being white however. You see it being done to black quarterbacks (not anymore necessarily, but in the 80s there was a little bit of it).

Take Brian Leonard for example. He could be a white RB per se. I don't think he would ever get criticism (or acclaim for that matter) for being a white RB if it works out that way however.

But we've seen examples of quarterbacks being scrutinized by the color of their skin. McNabb being a recent example. I know its uncommon, and often scoffed at, but its still technically happening, so we cant disclude it from the conversation.

Let's not make race a big deal though. I think it may have been an issue perhaps 20 years ago, but not anymore. I really don't think that its an issue when analyzing players anymore.

Comment

All that the British are good for are their accents, coming in handy for a quick joke or for old-time villans in movies.

That, and that whole being-the-mother-country/forefathers thing.

by BoneKrusher
                          <DG> how metal unseen
                          <TheUnseen> Drunken Canadian Bastard: There's an APS for that

Comment

I don't think however that a RB would be knocked on in any way for being white however. You see it being done to black quarterbacks (not anymore necessarily, but in the 80s there was a little bit of it).

Take Brian Leonard for example. He could be a white RB per se. I don't think he would ever get criticism (or acclaim for that matter) for being a white RB if it works out that way however.

But we've seen examples of quarterbacks being scrutinized by the color of their skin. McNabb being a recent example. I know its uncommon, and often scoffed at, but its still technically happening, so we cant disclude it from the conversation.

Let's not make race a big deal though. I think it may have been an issue perhaps 20 years ago, but not anymore. I really don't think that its an issue when analyzing players anymore.
                            I agree, A girl did a report in english class and she said that 99.9% of white people skin and black people skin are the same, it isn't a big deal at all.

It is preety sad for this guy to make a whole article about a custom that nobody gives a hoot about in england, it is like a writer dissing a european league soccer draft because he thinks it is stupid that people get so pumped up for soccer in england and europe.

Comment

Originally posted by The Unseen View Post
                              All that the British are good for are their accents, coming in handy for a quick joke or for old-time villans in movies.

That, and that whole being-the-mother-country/forefathers thing.
                              Their dentistry is impeccable.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information