No announcement yet.

*** Official MLB Draft Thread ***

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I like Porcello a lot, but I'd be very weary giving him a pro deal. In fact, I don't think it's a good idea to give any high school player a pro deal.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jughead10 View Post
      Didn't Delmon Young get a pro deal?
      Nope.

Last high schooler I remember getting a pro deal was Josh Beckett. Justin Upton didn't even get a pro deal.

Originally posted by BrownsTown

If Chase Daniel finishes top 5 in the Heisman I'll cut my balls off.

2008 COTTON BOWL CHAMPIONS

Comment

• Nevermind, Delmon Young did sign a pro deal, sorry jughead.

He signed a pro deal worth $5.8 mill.

Comment

• Originally posted by eazyb81 View Post
          Nevermind, Delmon Young did sign a pro deal, sorry jughead.

He signed a pro deal worth $5.8 mill.
          Yeah I thought I remembered that. Either way I'm not a fan of giving pro deals to anyone except possibly very polished college players. Yankees considered giving one to Ian Kennedy but didn't. However they ended up giving one to a Cuban defector who I'm not exactly sure they are thrilled with. Signed him to a 4 year pro deal for 500,000 a year I believe. He isn't exactly lighting it up in Class A Advanced.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jughead10 View Post
            Yeah I thought I remembered that. Either way I'm not a fan of giving pro deals to anyone except possibly very polished college players. Yankees considered giving one to Ian Kennedy but didn't. However they ended up giving one to a Cuban defector who I'm not exactly sure they are thrilled with. Signed him to a 4 year pro deal for 500,000 a year I believe. He isn't exactly lighting it up in Class A Advanced.
            Agree, and a high school pitcher is probably the last guy you want to give a pro contract to, no matter how talented they are.

At the end of the day, Porcello and his family will have to make a decision: do they want to take a hard-line stance and go to college for 3 years if they don't get the exact deal they want, or do they take a $5 mill bonus now and start playing pro ball?

I know what I would do, but we will see how much power Boras has over this family.

Comment

• Originally posted by Philliez01 View Post
              Right now, Arbuckle (Phillies) is saying that they are looking for "C, 3B and some young arms" to fill out the early portion of the Draft. Now basically, I do think that OF is possible as Golson is still only in Advanced A, D'Arby Meyers will be in Williamsport (Short Season A) so I think that Michael Burgess is a good option for them. He has a good arm, speed and can hit for power but given the real lack of success of them getting "HS Position Players"; I don't see it happening.

The one guy I would love is Beau Mills. Costanzo doesn't appear to be that 3B of the Future the Phils really could use and Mills is just so intriuging to me. Problem is, I see him going earlier than #19.
              Some people had Mills falling all the way to Oakland. I can see the Phils going for Devin Meseraco, the catcher from Punxsatawney.

<+fenikz> "**** the Police, ride my fischstache bitches"

Comment

• Originally posted by eazyb81 View Post
                Agree, and a high school pitcher is probably the last guy you want to give a pro contract to, no matter how talented they are.

At the end of the day, Porcello and his family will have to make a decision: do they want to take a hard-line stance and go to college for 3 years if they don't get the exact deal they want, or do they take a $5 mill bonus now and start playing pro ball?

I know what I would do, but we will see how much power Boras has over this family.
                It's an interesting dilemma. I mean not that he's not polished now, but if you put three years of college experience on him the guy would be ready to go pro within a couple years at the very most. But at the same time, you don't want him to get hurt in college, and if he gets picked top 5 there's not that much higher you can go.

Comment

• Cards still taking the kid from TCU, any info from you guys?

Comment

• Crap, wrong thread.

Comment

• I'd jump all over that (although it depends how many points pitchers get and power hitters get)

Comment

• This will NEVER match the NFL or NBA or even WWE draft, because these players that get drafted YOU DON'T SEE FOR ABOUT 5 OR 6 YEARS. Plus it is as long as teams want it to go which is FOREVER
                        CHRIS PETERSEN > STEVE SARKISIAN AND JIM MORA. CALL ME WHEN ONE MAKES A BCS BOWL.

Originally posted by slightlyabroncosfan
                        JBalla is mormon, so naturally he assumes that whenever you get one marriage done, another two or five are in the works.

Comment

• Originally posted by jballa838 View Post
                          This will NEVER match the NFL or NBA or even WWE draft, because these players that get drafted YOU DON'T SEE FOR ABOUT 5 OR 6 YEARS. Plus it is as long as teams want it to go which is FOREVER
                          I don't know if it just recent history. But some of the super star guys seem to be coming up quicker. Andrew Miller, Time Lincecum, just off the top of my head. You dont see a lot of the NFL guys either for a couple years. They sit on the bench.

Comment

• http://mlb.mlb.com/media/player/mp_t...e=v_free&_mp=1

That's some prospects video clips.

And anyone know a site or something I can watch it on, since TSN isn't broadcasting it. (The draft)
                            Last edited by Eaglez.Fan; 06-06-2007, 05:16 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by jballa838 View Post
                              This will NEVER match the NFL or NBA or even WWE draft, because these players that get drafted YOU DON'T SEE FOR ABOUT 5 OR 6 YEARS. Plus it is as long as teams want it to go which is FOREVER
                              And your point is?

Comment

• Big day tomorrow. Luckily, I have the day off.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information