X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• eazyb81
    started a topic *** Official MLB Draft Thread ***

*** Official MLB Draft Thread ***

I was going to wait a few days for this, but if there's already an NBA Draft thread, by God, MLB deserves it's own as well.

At this point, it would be an absolute shock if Tampa Bay passed on David Price with the first pick in the draft. Despite how I feel about Price's workload over the last few years, he is a 6'5" southpaw that reaches the mid 90's and has a power arsenal - you just can't pass on that. The cherry on top is that he is not advised by Scott Boras, so he shouldn't be a ridiculously tough sign as long as Tampa doesn't low-ball him.

Things start to get interesting at #2 with KC. Months ago it was assumed that the Royals would take Matt Wieters, switch-hitting catcher from GT and the assumed 2nd best player in the draft, with their pick. However, Wieters has had a good but not great year, is advised by Boras, and some elite prep players have challenged him for the #2 spot. Throw in the uncertainty surrounding Max Scherzer, and this looks like something that might not be resolved until June 7th.

The crop of high school players this year appears to be one of the deepest and most talented in the last 10-15 years. The prep ranks are littered with projectable power arms such as Rick Porcello, Matt Harvey, Phillip Aumont, Jarrod Parket, etc, along with elite position players including Josh Vitters, Mike Moustakas, Michael Burgess, and Jason Heyward.

Add in the fact that the MLB Draft will be televised for the first time in history, and this is shaping up to be a memorable draft for baseball fans.

• M.O.T.H.
    replied
    All you have to put under Jason Heyward's picture is, Future Hall of Famer...haha.

Leave a comment:

• sweetness34
    replied
    That Kade kid is one creepy looking mutha.

Leave a comment:

• Jay
    replied
    That's a really great question. I have no idea haha...

Leave a comment:

• KCJ58
    replied
    ^^^^^^^^^^
    how did u get to post more than 4 pictures i can't do that

Leave a comment:

• Jay
    replied
    Here's some info I've dug up on the first 10 rounds of Red Sox picks:

1s (55) Nick Hagadone* LHP Washington

Scouting Report: Big lefty closer whose fastball sits in the low 90s and tops out around 95 mph with good movement. Also mixes in a plus biting slider that he uses as his out pitch, a work-in-progress changeup, and is working on developing a splitter. Good control. Team leader and a hard worker. Could work as a starter if he can improve his changeup. Not a lot of miles on his arm.

1s (62) Ryan Dent** SS Woodrow Wilson HS (CA)

Scouting Report: Fantastic athlete - Dent possesses a good bat and phenomenal speed. Good leadoff potential. He hits the ball well to all fields and is a superb base runner. Good strength for his size and speed. May be better suited for 2B, but has the range to play CF. In the field, Dent has an average arm and excellent range. While Dent possesses great tools, he is a little raw at this stage.

2 (84) Hunter Morris 3B Virgil Grissom HS (AL)

Scouting Report: Lefty bat with raw plus-power potential. Good bat speed and excellent plate discipline, but his swing mechanics could use some adjustment. Defense is average at best, seeing time at 1B, 3B, and corner OF. Average arm and below average range. Probably best suited for 3B.

3 (114) Brock Huntzinger RHP Pendleton Heights HS (IN)

Scouting Report: Fastball sits around 89 mph and tops out at 92 mph. Also utilizes an excellent curveball and a nice 89 mph slider. Throws first pitch strikes. Good control and smooth delivery. Command of the strike zone could use some work. Maintains velocity well, able to go deep into games. Probably can pack some muscle to his frame. Athletic, dominated as a pitcher and a hitter in high school.

4 Chris Province RHP SE Louisiana U.

Scouting Report: Righty closer gets his four seam fastball up to 97 mph and his two seamer around 93-94 mph. Strong pitcher's build. Also is developing a high 80s slider.

Scouting Report: Righty closer gets his four seam fastball up to 97 mph and his two seamer around 93-94 mph. Strong pitcher's build. Also is developing a high 80s slider.

5 Will Middlebrooks RHP Liberty-Eylau HS (TX)

Scouting Report: Excellent athlete both with the bat and as a pitcher. As a hitter, Middlebrooks has great power potential and makes excellent contact. In the field has good hands and a strong arm, but below average range. As a pitcher, his fastball sits in the low 90s and tops out at 94 mph. His arsenal also includes an above average high 70s power curve, and an average changeup that sits around 78 mph. Attacks hitters well, good mound presence. Needs to work on his command. A lot of potential if he focuses on just pitching. Also a football star in high school.

6 Anthony Rizzo 1B Stoneman Douglas HS (FL)

Scouting Report: Large 1B, particularly given his age. Very good overall approach at the plate, with good bat speed, timing, and contact. Nice opposite field power. In the field, Rizzo is an average to above average defender with a solid arm.

7 David Mailman 1B Providence Senior HS (NC)

Scouting Report: Pure hitter with a picture perfect swing. Good plate patience. Needs to pack on size to increase his power. Average fielder - played 1B in high school, likely to play corner OF in the minors. Strong arm.

8 Adam Mills RHP UNC-Charlotte

Scouting Report: Dominated collegiate competition in 2007. Mills possesses four average pitches, but mixes them masterfully with phenomenal command. His fastball sits in the high 80s and reaches about 92 mph with some good late movement. His changeup is his best pitch. His slider and curve are solid but not spectacular. Groundball pitcher with a deceptive but consistent delivery. Could stand to add some muscle.

9 Kade Keowen CF LSU-Eunice

Scouting Report: Keowen is a big, tall centerfielder with five tool potential. Phenomenal athlete. Top line power potential. Great speed, especially for his size. Above average arm. His approach at the plate is raw, but his ability to make contact is improving and his bat speed is decent. Has yet to face top rate pitching on a regular basis.

10 Ken Roque SS Puerto Rico Baseball Academy

Scouting Report: Good athlete who projects at SS or 2B. Left handed bat with very good speed. Slap hitter without a lot of power.

Leave a comment:

• BigDawg819
    replied
    Originally posted by Smokey Joe View Post
    all the time in bed when you want to try new sex moves.
    I do believe that is a BURN! Besides the O's took that kid from Georgia Tech so I'm happy.

Leave a comment:

• Smokey Joe
    replied
    Originally posted by sweetness34 View Post
    You'll be here to tell me so like usual? When have you ever told me so Smokey?
    all the time in bed when you want to try new sex moves.

Leave a comment:

• sweetness34
    replied
    he has absolutely no secondary stuff... We'll see sweets. I'll be here to tell I told you so like usual.
    You'll be here to tell me so like usual? When have you ever told me so Smokey?

Leave a comment:

• Smokey Joe
    replied
    You've seen video, you haven't seen him pitch. Just shut up and wait to see what he does. All you do is *****, *****, *****, and whine all the time.

The kid went from having no schollie offers for baseball to a first round draft pick in 4 years. He's a big kid with an explosive arm and signs of a curve and a change, give him a chance man.
    he has absolutely no secondary stuff... We'll see sweets. I'll be here to tell I told you so like usual.

Leave a comment:

• sweetness34
    replied
    I've seen his video. And I've seen his stats. Only 60 K's in 100 IP... yeah, thats gonna translate well.
    You've seen video, you haven't seen him pitch. Just shut up and wait to see what he does. All you do is *****, *****, *****, and whine all the time.

The kid went from having no schollie offers for baseball to a first round draft pick in 4 years. He's a big kid with an explosive arm and signs of a curve and a change, give him a chance man.

Leave a comment:

• Green Bay Scat
    replied
    baseball.......lol

Leave a comment:

• Damix
    replied
    Saw the Yanks grabbed Pat Venditte, the switch pitcher

Leave a comment:

• Smokey Joe
    replied
    Whatever Smokey. You've never seen him pitch, so like I said quit your bitching.
    I've seen his video. And I've seen his stats. Only 60 K's in 100 IP... yeah, thats gonna translate well.

Leave a comment:

• sweetness34
    replied
    I predict Poreda never amounts to anything and takes the same career path as either Thornton or Sisco.
    Whatever Smokey. You've never seen him pitch, so like I said quit your bitching.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X

Debug Information