HS football help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HS football help

i am playing high school football again this year, and i will hopefully start at WR on varsity. the only problem is is that i don't have elite cutting ability/speed. if there is any drills or any training that i could do to improve these things that you guys have to share, they would be much appreciated

join track and ask for help with speed from the sprinting coaches

or

ask your football coaches for some drills and such you can do at home ?

RIP, Sean Taylor.

Comment

i did track this year and it helped a little bit with my speed

Comment

my opinions would be...

judging on where you live. Running in sand and/or water helps you big time. keep doing that, then start running on grass or turf and you'll notice you feel lighter and run faster. Skip ropping helps alot as well. gives you quick feet, and help your agility. there are several ways to do this. obivoulsy jumping the normal way. there is also jumping side to side, as well as front to back help alot too. Running stairs helps your explosion. start with every step, up and down, then every other step up and down, then hop every step, up and down, then hop every other step up and down, then jump up 2 down 1, up 2 down, only up. those should help you right away.

Comment

Originally posted by rainbeaukid2 View Post
          i am playing high school football again this year, and i will hopefully start at WR on varsity. the only problem is is that i don't have elite cutting ability/speed. if there is any drills or any training that i could do to improve these things that you guys have to share, they would be much appreciated
          I have the same problem.

Comment

There's a bunch of stuff you can do...

-Run. The more you run, the faster you get and the better you get at it. Go for runs daily and keep improving how fast and far you run. Also, try running on your toes only without letting your heels touch the ground. Really helps your speed and builds calf muscles.

-Plyometrics. This builds explosiveness and should help with your cuts and speed. Just search the net for some ploymetrics information to get the basics down. One thing to remember when doing plyometrics is that you must be going 100% at all times to get the full benefits.

Comment

Do a lot of quick feet cone drills to get the cuts. Speed should come as your legs get stronger.

Comment

get some ankle weights, and do basically all the stuff thats above

Comment

Run some stairs, but make sure you keep your body tight with good arm movement

Leroy Smith - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koGD6XnAsNs

Comment

Eat a salad.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.

Comment

I'm not sure where you are. But almost any city over 50,000 should have a speed and agility training. I was in it for about a year.

Ladders are something that is really good for cuts and feet in general. You could almost just restrict yourself to that and be fine.

Box jumping is something that is great for explosion. But once again..you only find things like that at a local gym.

These two are probably the best combination to get what you need. Access to them might be limited..but I assume you have offseason training and equipment at your school. If you school doesn't have a ladder I think there is a serious problem.

Comment

The main problem with people is oftentimes not in their muscles and ligaments, but rather in how they try to take the cut. So much of making a cut has to do with weight distribution and often more specifically keeping your butt down.

Thule's idea of ladders is great. Also working on cone drills is perfect as well, but have a coach there who knows what he's doing so he can tell you what you are doing wrong. A lot of it is just in how you turn your hips and where you are positioning your weight--which is a learned skill, not something that you can lift weights for. Training your muscles, your body, to make better cuts is best done by actually do the cuts--hence the ladders and cone drills.

Oldie but a goodie.

Comment

agility latters are good...beware of ankle weights cuz they put stress on ur ACL....STRETCH STRETCH...it can really knock tenths of ur 40...calf raises help alot to....also just running sprints helps...running hills up and down can help but dont go down at full speed...and stretch as much as possible...i ran track for 6 years and played football from age 5 thru college and nuthin ever took more time off my 40 then stretching

Comment

Originally posted by reese View Post
                            agility latters are good...beware of ankle weights cuz they put stress on ur ACL....STRETCH STRETCH...it can really knock tenths of ur 40...calf raises help alot to....also just running sprints helps...running hills up and down can help but dont go down at full speed...and stretch as much as possible...i ran track for 6 years and played football from age 5 thru college and nuthin ever took more time off my 40 then stretching
                            This guy knows what he's talking about. So many people fail to realize how much time they could shave if they would just stretch better. Stretching more means better elasticity in the ligaments, tendons and muscles, meaning they are able to move at a faster pace. Running using interval training will also help out a lot.

In terms of other ways to train for speed--plyos. This has become a very broad term, but I kid you not, it works wonders. Just make sure you are stretching A LOT anytime you are doing plyos--whether it is before or after a workout or on a recovery day, it doesn't matter.

By the way, fundamental stretching 101--warm up before stretching.

Oldie but a goodie.

Comment

Stretching: I agree with what was said above.

Plyometrics: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plyometrics http://www.sport-fitness-advisor.com/plyometrics.html

Balance: Really, look into it.

Your high school SHOULD have a resistance program...Combining Plyometrics with flexibility by training with large rubber bands...If not there should be a gym or something with this near you.

Talk to your coaches. You want to be better, they want you to be better, it's a win-win and they will likely give you tips, drills, etc to help.

When I was in high school and ran track, the hardest thing I had to do during practice was suicides on a hill....I would suggest that.

Set up markers on a hill. Bottom, 1/4, half, 3/4, top...Start at the bottom and run to the 1/4 touching the ground in front of it while you change position and run back to the bottom, only do do the same [in one continuous series] until you've reached every marker.

I hated doing that. It absolutely sucked.

Let's get some activity going in the Cleveland sub-forum!

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information