The Literature Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
    Socrates never wrote anything down. That was his whole deal. Anything quoting Socrates is Plato's writings (which he only started after Socrates died), and while no one knows how accurate they were, they're our only record besides general historical writings on Socrates. But those chunks of Plato's writings are considerably less annoying that his later ones.

Aristotle can be pretty awesome, at times.
    Part of the problem with Plato is the validity of his writing anyway. Well. That's a problem with multiple authors of antiquity... Not the point. The point is, we don't have a road map with antiquity, so, to take it as it is, I'm convinced Plato was the sum of Socrates and Himself, at times overbearing, but overall a highly pleasurable experience.

Seneca is my hero though.
    http://i38.tinypic.com/2aj2s7t.jpg
    For a good time call (303) 499-7111.whitspacsig by steel man

United: "I actually went to the college I root for"

Comment

• Assuming that sense we have of Socrates that we do, it always seemed to me that he was more interested in the deconstruction of knowledge, at least in his interactions with people. Plato always seemed to be more into knowledge models.

Then again, I think that Socrates in the way we think of him is more part of Plato than anything else. Historical texts don't neccesarily paint the same image of Socrates that The Republic did.

Comment

Socrates never wrote anything down.
        I am doubtful any of the Greek philosophers wrote much down on their own. I am sure they were dictating to a slave/apprentice/student. Regardless, I know that it was essentially all Plato, Xenophon, some Athenian and Roman historians who detail all there we know about Socrates but my point is that based on what we know about Socrates, in my mind, I think he was superior to all the other contemporaries.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

• I love Socrates. Shame we don't have any writing, but based on what we have, you can tell he was incredible. However, I'm still a BIG fan of Plato.

BoneKrusher

Comment

• Originally posted by Staubach12 View Post
            I love Socrates. Shame we don't have any writing, but based on what we have, you can tell he was incredible. However, I'm still a BIG fan of Plato.
            If you do like the philosophers and you want to be an English major, TAMU has a rhetoric track for English degrees (I was in it). It's the one of about 3 liberal arts departments here that are highly respectable.

Comment

• Im not the biggest fan of greek philosophy TBH...Plato, to me, is much to preachy for my liking, and while Aristotle is much more tolerable, I dont find him overly interesting to read.

If you wanna read some really fun philosophy, I recommend something by Machiavelli or Nietzsche. Both are a little more extreme, but IMO much more interesting to read then the Greek schools of thought.
              Originally posted by Mr. Goosemahn
              The APS is strong in this one.
              Originally posted by killxswitch
              Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.

Comment

• Originally posted by A Perfect Score View Post
                Plato, to me, is much to preachy for my liking

I recommend something by Machiavelli or Nietzsche
                Sorry but you don't like preachy but you like Machiavelli & Nietzsche? That's contradictory haha.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brent View Post
                  Sorry but you don't like preachy but you like Machiavelli & Nietzsche? That's contradictory haha.
                  Does Nietzsche really preach all that much? So long as stuff like St. Thomas Aquinas is considered philosophy, Nietzsche is far from preachy.

Comment

Does Nietzsche really preach all that much? So long as stuff like St. Thomas Aquinas is considered philosophy, Nietzsche is far from preachy.
                    I find that most philosophers are preachy but that seems to come with the trade.

Comment

I find that most philosophers are preachy but that seems to come with the trade.
                      I don't know. Nietzsche seemed to question reality enough to avoid that somewhat. Descartes avoided being preachy, at least in his better writings.

edit - I mis-spelled decartes. How embarrassing.
                      Last edited by Paranoidmoonduck; 12-15-2008, 12:33 AM.

Comment

• Pet Sematary by Stephem King is an awesome book. I've already read over 100 pages today, and I could do more. I like a lot of his books. If it creeps me out or makes me feel uncomfortable, I will read it.

http://minnesotasportstwentyfourseven.blogspot.com/

Comment

• i remembre when I read The Dead Zone, what a good boook

Comment

I don't know. Nietzsche seemed to question reality enough to avoid that somewhat. Descartes avoided being preachy, at least in his better writings.

edit - I mis-spelled decartes. How embarrassing.
                            Questioning or not, i'm pretty sure preaching comes with the territory, if semantically we're talking about trying to be not only persuasive but a call to action on injustice, inequality, or incompetence.
                            http://i38.tinypic.com/2aj2s7t.jpg
                            For a good time call (303) 499-7111.whitspacsig by steel man

United: "I actually went to the college I root for"

Comment

If you do like the philosophers and you want to be an English major, TAMU has a rhetoric track for English degrees (I was in it). It's the one of about 3 liberal arts departments here that are highly respectable.
                              I may apply there. Right now I've only applied to UTK and WKU.

BoneKrusher

Comment

• I just started reading One Bullet Away: The Making of a Marine Officer by Nathaniel Fick. So far it's incredible.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
                                WHO DAT!

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information