No announcement yet.

The Literature Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like the Harry Potter books a lot, as well. They're very entertaining, and they really do capture your attention. Very fun books. Lord of the Flies is on my to-do list, by the way.

BoneKrusher

Comment

Originally posted by Staubach12 View Post
      Really? Tell us about it. What's it about?
      ehh, when i started it i was 15, so it was kind of a teenage light- reading romance drama type. It has grown over the past three years more into a young adult semi autobiographal depiction of my life (and a few others I have known or come in contact with have inspried the plots). Deals with urban violence, deception, love, jealousy, drugs, death, coming to grips with reality, insecurity and saying goodbye (trust, they all tie together lol)

Named it "Two Players At Different Games" because of the infidelity and cheating habbits of the main character.

havent wrote in a month though, i'm in a major block

-sig by jkpigskin

Comment

I'm getting ready to start reading "Kingdom Come" the 13th book in the Left Behind series by Tim Lahaye and Jerry B. Jenkins.

Comment

Originally posted by Vikes99ej View Post
          I've read some medical suspense novels by Robin Cook. They were pretty good.
          OOoooohh mutation was very very good. the only required book i ever liked in high school.

Comment

I plan on reading that pretty soon. Steinbeck's on of my favorites already and all I've read is Of Mice and Men and some of Travels with Charlie. As for Catcher in the Rye, I definaetly have that one on my to-do list. As far as some good books I've read, Of Mice and Men is my favorite book. It's got several good themes and It just says alot about human nature and tendencies of life. The title comes from the poem "To a Mouse" by Robert Burns that I reccomend, but read the translated one. The Scotish one is very hard to read. The Giver is a very elementary utopian novel, but still very good. It says alot about conformity. Fahrenheit 451 is very good. I'll explain more later. I have to go.
            Of Mice and Men and The Giver are my #1 and #2 favorite books. I also really enjoyed the Iliad and the Odyssey.

Comment

Some of my fav authors these days are John Grisham, Dean Koonts, and James patterson, as well as the Harry potter series, but my all time favorite books are The Catcher in the Rye and Lord of the Flies...!

Comment

Originally posted by RoyHall#1 View Post
                Any books by Orson Scott Card are great. Start out with "Ender's Game" and "Ender's Shadow". Also, I like the Harry Potter books lol. Those things capture my attention and I can't stop reading them. It pisses me off that the movies are so childish and the names of the books are g.ay. But they really are good books.

Lord of the Flies is my all-time favorite book btw, if you haven't read it, you have to now.
                yeah Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow are outstanding.. can't say I'm a huge fan of Lord of the Flies though

sig by me.. first in ages, pm with requests

Comment

My school gave me a pretty long summer reading list:

Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky (for AP Lit)

The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck (for AP Lit)

Hardball by Chris Matthews (for AP Gov)

Night by Elie Wiesel (for religion)

It's Greek to Me by Michael Marcone (for Latin)

Looking forward to the first two, don't know what to expect from Hardball (anyone here read it?), already read Night, and have no idea about the last one.

Comment

I'm a bigger fan of Poetry then I am of Novels. Some of my favorites and recommendations:

Taylor Mali - The Impotence of Spellchecking
                    Miguel Pinero - Seekin the Cause
                    Bob Holman - Harry Potter Pokemon
                    Beau Sia - Open letter to the Entertainment...
                    Celena Glenn - I Nail my Palms

More contemporary and spoken word poets, but they are very good.

Comment

I'm reading The Invisible Man - Ralph Emerson a the moment. It's an excellent book about stereotyping and race. even though it was written immediately post-WWII, it's amazingly relevant to today's society.

My personal favorites I've read are: The Grapes of Wrath (literary style masterpiece) and Slaughterhouse V (kurt Vonnegut). Lord of the Flies is pretty good, but in no way is it on par with several others.

I hope to read 1984, The Catcher in the Rye or The Perks of Being a Wallflower by the end of summer. I've got 7 days riding in somebody's car, so i should be able to knock out at leat 2.

Sig by DChess

Comment

Originally posted by RoyHall#1 View Post
                        Any books by Orson Scott Card are great. Start out with "Ender's Game" and "Ender's Shadow". Also, I like the Harry Potter books lol. Those things capture my attention and I can't stop reading them. It pisses me off that the movies are so childish and the names of the books are g.ay. But they really are good books.

Lord of the Flies is my all-time favorite book btw, if you haven't read it, you have to now.
                        The Ender's series is great too. I like the bean branch alot better than the Ender branch though. Harry potter books are great reads, i just wish i could remember anything about them a month after I finish one.

Also, anything by Tom Clancy or Clive Cussler make great summer action/adventure reads.

Sig by DChess

Comment

OK, I've got more time. Fahrenheit 451 is a bit hard to explain and it makes you think about the ideas that literature implants in us, but it's very good. I highly reccommed it. 1984 is very, very good. Surprising end, and it makes you think, a liot like F451. Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe is very good and it deals a lot with colonialism and adjusting to surroundings. A Tale of Two Cities is incredible. One of my favorite novels. It's a long read, but the imagery and the plotline are just incredible. Brave New World is a lot like F451 and 1984. It's another utopia novel, but it deals a lot more with the ideals of being truly happy, and I've actually written a little something based on those ideas experssed within the novel. Animal Farm is a very good historical novel that helps break down how Italy and the USSR became such communisty nations. If anyone has any reccomendations, I'd love to hear them.
                          I hated 451, but then again I was in 8th grade when i read it.
                          Ive been reading "Romance of the 3 Kingdoms" On and half for the past 4 years. Its pretty big and ussually I just repeat parts of it. Its a romanticized account of a war in 2-3rd century china

I recently finished "Street Lawyer" by Grisham

Sig thanks to Bonekrusher

Comment

Originally posted by ny10804 View Post
                            Hardball by Chris Matthews (for AP Gov)
                            Sweet Im in AP Gov too
                            We dont have to read, but we have a summer assignment

Sig thanks to Bonekrusher

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by SouthernPride396 View Post
                                I'm reading The Invisible Man - Ralph Emerson a the moment. It's an excellent book about stereotyping and race. even though it was written immediately post-WWII, it's amazingly relevant to today's society.

My personal favorites I've read are: The Grapes of Wrath (literary style masterpiece) and Slaughterhouse V (kurt Vonnegut). Lord of the Flies is pretty good, but in no way is it on par with several others.

I hope to read 1984, The Catcher in the Rye or The Perks of Being a Wallflower by the end of summer. I've got 7 days riding in somebody's car, so i should be able to knock out at leat 2.
                                read perks before catcher.
                                or catcher before perks.
                                i'm trying to think. either way, it's like reading the same book twice.
                                read catcher first... that's the way to do it.
                                and then you'll read perks and see how much it's a rip-off of catcher.

now, invisible man is probably the greatest novel of the 20th century.
                                for sure.

that, ulysses, pale fire, lolita, and sound and the fury are all top notch.

i read alot.
                                http://i38.tinypic.com/2aj2s7t.jpg
                                For a good time call (303) 499-7111.whitspacsig by steel man

United: "I actually went to the college I root for"

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information